1. talfo38152
    Hello,

I am newly stationed in South Korea and would like to know if any members can assist me.

My current 8525 with AT&T is mostly useless in South Korea.

Is there a PDA phone that will work in South Korea and back in the USA? Do any of you have experience with such a phone and obtaining service with that phone from a provider in Korea?

My bottom line is a PDA phone with the following

 Works in Korea and the USA
     Full QWERTY key board
     Windows Mobile
     Blue Tooth
     Internet wifi

I donít have a preference about things like tv or radio, but GPS capability would be nice.

Regards

Tony
    I'm surprised the 8525 doesn't work. It's 3G, so it should work fine. Did you enable int'l roaming?

I know the Treo 750 works in Korea. A friend uses it when he travels there. No WiFi though. And you'd need a separate bluetooth GPS device.

I don't know anything about getting service from Korean carriers.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Just make sure its Quad Band (850/900/1800/1900) Then it'll work anywhere. 3G has nothing to do with phone service4.
    Korea's networks are incompatible with the rest of the world, except for 3G phones such as the 750 and 8525.

850/900/1800/1900 won't work. Only 2100 in Korea:
    http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_kr.shtml
    Last edited by samkim; 03/08/2008 at 11:49 AM.
    Maybe you should consider 2 phones, a lot more option open up that way.

You can get a Nokia n800 to compliment a cheap phone, that will cost less than a mid-high end smartphone. And you get Skype and true youtube.
  6. talfo38152
    Hello again,

I think my question needs to be reframed.

I am going to be living in Korea for the next two-3 years. I am wondering if anybody has purchased a PDA phone in Korea and then get a service plan for the same phone when returning to the USA. Or the opposite...get a phone in the USA and the get a service plan for that same phone when coming to Korea.

Although I am aware of the Korean CDMA2000 network incompatibility with older phones from the USA, I am wondering if any new technology out there has overcome that problem.

Regards,

Tony

PS I find the Nokia n800 option to be very interesting. I will be researching that option. However an issue I already see with it is the lack of hot spots where I am working.