1.    #1  
    Lax Sprint security is more than an identity theft issue. It also opens women up to being stalked by past lovers. What exactly are the risks and can I do anything to make myself safer? I tried to get help securing my phone at Sprint today and the boys working there were pretty clueless.

If someone has your phone number can they track you by GPS, and in what circumstances?

I was told there was no way to prevent my account from being accessed online if someone knew my password. When I go into the store, security of my account is VERY lax. They will even suggest my password to me if I'm uncertain of what it is. They do not check ID or see if my phone matches the account #.

What can I do to make myself safer?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Cancel your cellphone and move into a cave in Afghanistan. Don't date stalkers and don't be promiscuous. Three of my suggestions.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Do you own a Treo? Cause last time I checked, my Treo didn't have GPS. *takes battery off* Nope. Still no GPS.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Do you own a Treo? Cause last time I checked, my Treo didn't have GPS. *takes battery off* Nope. Still no GPS.
    Ever read the news?
    People hiking and gone missing, and were found after their cell phone was triangulated. GPS isn't necessary to find your location.

As for the OP, I've never been with Sprint, but AT&T and T-Mobile, when you go to a store and asked to do stuff to your account, they ask your last 4 digits of your social security number. That's your default account password.
    That can be changed to anything you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by nXt View Post
    Ever read the news?
    People hiking and gone missing, and were found after their cell phone was triangulated. GPS isn't necessary to find your location.
    But, of course that facility is not available to your average stalker.
    If someone wants to stalk you down there are plenty of easier ways than trying to triangulate your cell phone.

That should be practically at the bottom of your concern.

If you are that worried, get your cell # changed and change your account login info/password/whatever when you are done dating said crazy person. It's not that hard.
    What about if someone hacks treocentral and gets your ip number.... I am a conspiracy theorist.. but if you dwell upon these issues it will drive you nuts

Akula is right, give up your Treo, move to the mountains in northeastern Afganistan along the Pakistan border.. The CIA / Military intelligence and TMZ will never find you there!
  8.    #8  
    I'm not sure if you are trying to be supportive type funny or inappropriate type funny. I'll assume you are trying to be helpful.

I did nothing wrong and will not go into the details of my situation.

Dwelling on these issues might make me nuts, but ignoring them might make me dead. This is a serious situation I'm dealing with.

I have a 755p. Sprint has up signs offering the service of using GPS to track your children by their phones. My ex doesn't own my account so it's not as easy as that. As far as I know ALL cell phones can be tracked, but I'm not sure how difficult it is if the phone is not set up to allow it.

I need to secure my call log. If I cannot secure it the people I speak to are at risk, as well as myself.

Please, I'm not being paranoid. I need help if anyone has some hard facts.
    Have them change your phone # like I already said?

Can't triangulate your # if the # is different.

If you want to get paranoid there's a million ways to track down information on someone and cell phone triangulation is probably one of the least likely.
    Last edited by papped; 03/06/2008 at 08:34 PM.
  10.    #10  
    I finally got through to Sprint. They were very helpful. They do not have an antistalking policy but they were able to problem solve some safety measures. They said GPS is a problem if someone knows your phone #.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    GPS WILL NOT be a problem if someone knows your phone number. There is NO transmitter (other than the phone) in your Treo. Yes emergency services can triangulate roughly where you when your phone connects to towers etc

But GPS cannot be used to track you because they have your phone number (pick up any high end GPS unit and there is no locate this phone number option)......

Personally I would get provider to change my number, change my password etc & ask them to place a note on system to be extra vigilant when people request details about your account (ie make sure they ask proper security questions).
    Cant you just switch off the location awareness option? On my phone I have the option.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks. I turned it off. It still works for 911, which is good, but it also says it will not hide your general location based on the cell site servicing your call.

What does that mean?
    Have you tried calling the cops to at least file a report?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Carry a gun. That is what my wife does. I bought her a Taurus Judge. Just google it.

Treo 700wx Alltel

Honda Valkyrie Rider