1.    #1  
    So I'm trying to figure out what phone to go with next (currently on a 680) and I'm mostly interested WM because that seems to be where the developers have been focused lately. I'm definitely interested in Nova, but I figure we're looking at a good year from now in the best case scenario.

But it got me thinking - how can Palm throw Palm OS 5.4.x out the window when by almost all accounts they're selling more Palm OS-based phones now in the Centro than they ever have? Yes, they can keep slapping the old OS onto phones like they're doing now, but are they really going to say to the hoards that are buying the Centro, "by the way, we don't really do that anymore" next year?

We hear all the time that Palm OS is dead and that all of their efforts are being put into Nova. Has the Centro maybe given Palm OS a stay of execution? I mean really, how hard would it be to keep it alive, refresh it, and have it serve their "cheap" line for years to come?

I know versions of this thread have been brought up a million times, but I think it has a new angle with the incredible Centro sales. It was one thing to abandon a bunch of grumpy 650 owners. It's an entirely different thing to **** off a bunch of Centro owners who just bought a new device and supposedly 75% of which are first time smartphone users.

New odds on Palm OS living through the end of the decade?
    The next gen OS is still scheduled to be out 2Q09, so.... Regardless, pretty much to 2010.
    Why would they need to refresh it? Maybe I'm missing something, but, from what I gather, the new POS will support all of the apps from the old POS.

What other reason would they need to support it? Usually, Palm will just support the device for a period of time, and I'm sure they will continue to support the Centro for whatever time they deem necessary. As for 3rd Party software, that's really up to the software developers to determine if they want to continue to support the old POS or not.
    Here are some examples of existing Palm OS problem:
    • Somethings cannot be handled by the existing POS, such as WiFi, GPS, etc.;

• Palm OS is not a multitasking OS;

• Old outlook and interface;

• Full control of the OS instead of relying on M$ or Access.

As what you said, a lot of people are using the Palm's old application, therefore Palm does not have choice but to support. I guess they may create an emulator for running all existing applications and at the same time provide the tools to developers to develop or re-compile their application run natively. It is similar to Apple transformed to Intel based.

They will continue to support the old Palm because they know that getting a new customer is more difficult than getting the business from existing customer.