1.    #1  
    I've been having dropped calls on my Sprint issued refurbished Treo 700p. I took it into a Sprint store today to have them look at it and the guy told me it was because I had 3rd party applications on there. I asked what the point of having a Smartphone was if it wouldn't work with 3rd party apps and he said that I just had too many.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but most of them were games and converter type apps that I've never even launched since I received this phone. Would these still cause issues with the phone? I never had a reset, but just a LOT of dropped calls.

Well, he did a hard reset, put my phone book back on there (really messed up, by the way), and told me to try it like that for a while. So now, I'm not even going to sync my phone with my computer, let alone install any programs. I told them after I get 2 dropped calls, I'm bringing it back.

An interesting thought, though. What happens to all the missed calls and texts that came in while my phone was sitting on someone's desk? This guy didn't even have the decency to jot them down on a piece of paper for me. I know I had a voicemail when I picked up my phone, but who knows what else I missed. I guess that's what's to be expected.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Well I have two things to say about that.

1. Yes he is right.

2. No he is not right.

1. I have seen some programs do some weird things on my palm. I have mentioned a hundred times I once had a solitaire game that stopped me from hotsyncing. You do have to be careful and watch your self.

2. I have nearly 50 different 3rd party programs on my palm. Coming from a guy who has traded his treo in about 6 months to get a fresh one or an upgrade, they will tell you any kind of bull crap to not give you a new phone. My wife has a 700p with no 3rd party apps at all. Out of the blue it started dropping calls and missing calls. I took it down and they gave the same old song and dance. I just demanded I get a new phone, that is why we pay the $7 equipment replacement fee. Guess what, my wife got a new 755p and we didn't pay a dime. They will just tell you what ever they can to get you stop coming in and getting a new phone.

If you ever think it is a 3rd party app, do a backup of the phone and then hard reset. Try it for a few hours and see if it still does it. If it does, then you know it is the phone.
  3.    #3  
    That's what I did. I really didn't have anything running on there that stayed running, except for KB LightsOff, Butler (he didn't know what that was, and he was their PDA Expert), and 2Dial, all of which I have had on there for the past 2 years. I told him to go ahead, do a hard reset, and I'll be back in there in a few days because of the dropped call problem.

What sucks is that I don't want to sync it, so he can't say I caused it, and I'm really missing having some of my programs on there. Oh well, it'll just be a few days.

I'm really not after a 755p, I'm satisfied with the 700p, whenever I get one that actually works.
    I agree with BenJoeM on weird activity caused by third party apps. I don't recall which one it was, but I had one that simply caused my phone to reset after hanging up phone calls (if I remember correctly it happened after using the BT headset). I removed it and that was it, no more problems.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    My 650, 700p and 755p have never crashed during a call and have always answered a call. I will not say all problems, but many many problems that Treo users have reported on this forum are due to conflicting 3rd party programs. Below is a list of what I have installed and use:

I use all PIM functions, VersaMail and Blazer.
    I sync to the Palm Desktop software.

3RD PARTY Software installed and used:

BackupBuddy VFS Pro
    Bejeweled
    Britannica On Line
    CardKeeper
    CardSpeed VFS
    Chess Tiger
    Core Player
    DiddleBug
    Diet Assistant
    Documents to Go 10.0
    Due Yesterday (Student software linked w/ daughter)
    eReaderPro w/ many reference works
    EZConvert (neat little conversion program, inches to kilometers and such)
    FileZ
    finCalc
    GoogleMaps
    iPedia
    Kinoma 4Ex
    KwikMaps
    MegaClock (multi function alarm clock, stopwatch, timer, world clock, moon phase)
    MobileTS (creates a connection to my work desktop)
    Monopoly
    Movie Guide (Leonard Maltin)
    mSafe
    mVoice
    On Demand (or Pocket Express) (News, Weather, Sports, Maps, 411, et cetera)
    Pocket Checkers
    Pocket Chess
    Pocket Quicken (connects to my desktop Quicken)
    Pocket Tunes
    RealPlayer
    Silent Threat
    SlovoEd (Spanish/English, English/Spanish Dictionary
    Snap
    Solitare
    Sprint TV
    TextPlus (a word complete while typing program)
    TimeReporter4
    TreoCiel (weather)
    VFSMark
    VoiceDial
    VolumeCare

25mb of internal memory free

Just know that you can have a stable device and many 3rd party apps installed. Doing a clean install and then adding back one 3rd party app at a time is one method. After the install of one app works flawlessly . . . . .Backup fully to an SD card before adding the next. If things get buggy. . . do a hard reset and full restore from the SD and you were back to where you were in the process. . . . . . and can try the next app . . .

OR:
    Neatfreak by Northglide will allow you to load your Treo one program at a time and then remove offending software . . . . . .
    http://www.northglide.com/
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/28/2008 at 09:31 PM.
    Oh Great

Now you tell me not to install 3rd party apps......

To late, I have been running third party apps on my Sprint 700p since I got it in May '06. No problems at all.

In fact, I think I will install another one right now.

Unsolicited advice:

When you or anyone goes to Sprint/Cellphone Network for repairs or anything, do a hard reset first, maybe restore your PIMS, and dont tell them you had 3rd party apps on it.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks. I'll have to do that next time.

The software I had on mine had been running great together for nearly 2 years, and as far as my phone goes, it was the most stable it's ever been. I just couldn't hold a conversation most of the time. It started when I got this replacement, and I sort of thought it was the network, but Sprint said everything was fine, so it has to be my phone.

I was actually hoping it was the network because this phone is really stable. I hate messing around with this insurance stuff. It takes so long to finally get a decent phone out of them. I mentioned it to one guy, and they said it took one customer 17 phones. Now that's just ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    I agree with BenJoeM on weird activity caused by third party apps. I don't recall which one it was, but I had one that simply caused my phone to reset after hanging up phone calls (if I remember correctly it happened after using the BT headset). I removed it and that was it, no more problems.
    Just realized my post should have read:

"weird activity caused by some third party apps"

as I have a number of apps myself with no problems.

Don't know if this could cause any functioning problems per se, but I have noticed that when I delete a program I don't like or no longer use, occasionally I have left over files from that app. Tis best to clean it out regularly (I use Filez) in any case.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Basically, you want to install as little app running in the background as possible. For example, an alarm clock program. You can easily use the build in calendar to double as alarm for 90% of the situation. This also apply to window to a less extend.

If its not a background third party app you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    My 650, ...
    I use all PIM functions, VersaMail and Blazer.
    I sync to the Palm Desktop software.

3RD PARTY Software installed and used:

BackupBuddy VFS Pro
    Bejeweled
    Britannica On Line
    CardKeeper
    CardSpeed VFS
    Chess Tiger
    Core Player
    DiddleBug
    Diet Assistant
    Documents to Go 10.0
    Due Yesterday (Student software linked w/ daughter)
    eReaderPro w/ many reference works
    EZConvert (neat little conversion program, inches to kilometers and such)
    FileZ
    finCalc
    GoogleMaps
    iPedia
    Kinoma 4Ex
    KwikMaps
    MegaClock (multi function alarm clock, stopwatch, timer, world clock, moon phase)
    MobileTS (creates a connection to my work desktop)
    Monopoly
    Movie Guide (Leonard Maltin)
    mSafe
    mVoice
    On Demand (or Pocket Express) (News, Weather, Sports, Maps, 411, et cetera)
    Pocket Checkers
    Pocket Chess
    Pocket Quicken (connects to my desktop Quicken)
    Pocket Tunes
    RealPlayer
    Silent Threat
    SlovoEd (Spanish/English, English/Spanish Dictionary
    Snap
    Solitare
    Sprint TV
    TextPlus (a word complete while typing program)
    TimeReporter4
    TreoCiel (weather)
    VFSMark
    VoiceDial
    VolumeCare

25mb of internal memory free
    Am I reading this right? 25mb internal memory free? Are all your apps on the SD cards? I need to talk to you.
  12.    #12  
    Woohoo! One dropped call already!

And is there a function on the calendar app to have like a wake up alarm? I had butler set to play the ring 10 times, every 5 minutes, for 20 times. Yes, I'm a heavy sleeper.

And my gosh, I'm going to miss Google Maps tomorrow on my way to work. Still haven't figured out how to get there on my own yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Am I reading this right? 25mb internal memory free? Are all your apps on the SD cards? I need to talk to you.
    Hi Ronbo,

Most are in internal memory. PM me.

Cheers, Perry.
    Dumb, dumb, dumb. The subject line should be changed and this topic thrown in the garbage.