Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got my 5-year old a 180 and a 270 for my 8-year old (both sans wireless service). I got 'em both cheap on Ebay. Was that a good idea or bad?
    My now 15 year old had a Zire when she was 10. Taught her to be organized with Due Yesterday software for school and she enjoyed the games and camera.

Only bad part of the idea is they will be wanting that used Treo 650 with phone and data service SOON !!

Best to tell them right now that phone/data service only starts on their xx birthday.

BTW . . . . . . xx = 13 at my domicile.

Cheers, Perry.
    Are they both without the flip lids? Some kids know how to take care of electronics given to them, some don't.

As far as organizing, it is great for them to get started on the concept.
  4.    #4  
    Both have flip lids. They are pretty careful with them, probably for concern that breaking it would mean end of it.

As far as organizing, we haven't introduced that yet. I must confess, my first priority was getting them to stop hogging the 700P
    I don't have children as of yet; however, if I did I wouldn't object to purchasing them on some of the considerations as previously mentioned.

I think my primary concern would be whether or not they would take care of the devices or not, followed by their individual ability to use the devices accordingly.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    For the kids (even my 8 yo), I find that they are particularly happy to actually get a working phone with service. And PagePlus is ultra-cheap and works with any Verizon phone. You can start up a PP activation for just $5, which gives you 100mins for 4mos. You can continue on PP for as little as $10 every 4mos ($30/yr). That's cheap enough for me to give to my kids... and it has proven to be useful for a few semi-emergencies...

As far as the Palm thing... well the kids care more about having a camera phone, and one that can play MP3s and games. Don't care much about having a Palm. You can get used Verizon camera phones on ebay really cheap too...
    Why not a Zire or an OLPC (this thing is pretty tough)
    Update

Dad = Maroon 755p (Sprint SERO Plan)
    15 yr old daughter = Blue 755p (Sprint SERO Plan)
    17 yr old daughter = iPhone on AT&T Family Plan
    Technogeeknoids all.

Mom = Plain candy bar Nokia on AT&T Family Plan
    Grandma = same plain candy bar Nokia on AT&T Family Plan
    I don't think it was a bad idea at all. My 9 year old has had a Zire 72 since she was 7. It's been an amazing organization and learning tool. I've used a flash card app to create flash cards for math facts and spelling words. We've used games like Hangman that not only help reinforce spelling skills but also attention to visual detail. There's so many free academic tools that are fun!

She uses the camera to take pics of things and places we go and then writes letters or emails to her grandparents about them, including the pic. She's made some mini movies and written "scripts" for them. She's the artsy type (lol) but is quickly becoming a gadget geek like her mommy. She also uses it to keep up with tennis and cheerleading practices and helps her keep track of where she is with long term school projects. And yes, there's a whole catalog of Disney artist cds and converted movies on her SD card. lol It's been a God-Send for both of us. (Although she has started using her iPod more for music these days)

In all honesty, I got it for her because she always wanting to be on my TX and I was very protective of my TX! She had become pretty fluent in her use of it. Now that I have a 755p, guess who wants my TX??

I think it's a great idea, our world is becoming soooo technologically advanced. It gives our kids an advantage I think...or at least helps. Certainly doesn't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    For the kids (even my 8 yo), I find that they are particularly happy to actually get a working phone with service. And PagePlus is ultra-cheap and works with any Verizon phone. You can start up a PP activation for just $5, which gives you 100mins for 4mos. You can continue on PP for as little as $10 every 4mos ($30/yr). That's cheap enough for me to give to my kids... and it has proven to be useful for a few semi-emergencies...

As far as the Palm thing... well the kids care more about having a camera phone, and one that can play MP3s and games. Don't care much about having a Palm. You can get used Verizon camera phones on ebay really cheap too...
    This may be OT somewhat but I have often asked myself the question, when should a kid be given a working cell phone (or even a smart phone/PDA device)? While you can certainly get the advantages of getting in touch with your kid but what if they consume the PP minutes say within a short time other than 4 months? I have always been thinking of this since I have a 9 y.o. and I don't believe she's entitled for a cell phone at this time and yet I see some of her classmates having an iPhone to use.
    Every circumstance is different. I do not think there could be "one" set age given, as to when a cell phone is appropriate. I chose 8th grade as our family schedules made the ability for instant communication beneficial.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    This may be OT somewhat but I have often asked myself the question, when should a kid be given a working cell phone (or even a smart phone/PDA device)? While you can certainly get the advantages of getting in touch with your kid but what if they consume the PP minutes say within a short time other than 4 months?
    Yes, of course it *could* have happened that my kids (both) each might have blown through 100 mins in one day instead of 4mos, but it didn't. We teach them to be very careful with their resources and they have treated their cell phones with respect admirably. I think its worth $5 to give them that kind of responsibility and privilege, at least as a trial/experiment. The worse that could happen is that I'm out $5 plus if they lose the phone, maybe $15-20. But it didn't happen, and they now feel that we trust them with value privileges. The 8yo is now into about 9mos of having a cell phone (a total $15 outlay for me), and he's maybe made 30mins of calls. But he feels great to have it and he's had a good time with the camera portion of the phone.

And there have been a few circumstances where it really did help for them to have the cell phone. Once for example their school let out early and unexpectedly because of a power failure in the school. So they called and we made special arrangements to take care of that unusual situation.
    My son is 6 years old. I think by watching his Dad, he is always interested when I get a new PDA, new accessory, etc... In today's world and where it is heading, I think introducing them to how to use a handheld beyond a camera and game, i.e. tracking home work, family events, etc.. is a very good idea. Especially on a cheap older PDA from ebay because no matter what, at one point something will probably happen to it (even if stolen). Which is also a good teaching opportunity of taking care of your things.

My 6 year old is certainly on the more responsible side of the scale. I plan on getting him a cheap older PDA early on too. Just have to wait another year or two to get all the reading down.

Active cell is another topic all together. I will get him a cell phone, but I will be looking at some of the services that can only limit it to like 30 numbers until his is like 14. Then with limited minutes / texting that he will have to manage (if we will even be able to find a plan with minutes at that time!).

But the bottom line that has been reiterated several times is true......you have to look at the individual child as one brother can be on the totally opposite side of the scale than any one of his siblings.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Can't kids be kids anymore? Does a 5 and 8 year old really need a Smartphone??
    Aren't you really saying: Can't be kids be like the kids when I was growing up?

I find that organization is a good thing, but it also induces a great deal of stress (Things have to be done at a certain time).
    I would agree, but on the note that having too many items on the list is the real culprit.

Handing a kid a Smartphone seems a bit premature for me. What;s the hurry to make them deal with grown-up problems?
    In certain instances I agree, like many, I find it is quite dependant on the child. Growing up I would have been a great candidate for a PIM device. For my sister, it would have been a waste. Not that I am any better per se, its just that such a device would have provided little benefit (if any at all) for her.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Can't kids be kids anymore? Does a 5 and 8 year old really need a Smartphone??

I find that organization is a good thing, but it also induces a great deal of stress (Things have to be done at a certain time).

Many of us learn to get organized when we see the consequences of not being organized as we grow older.

Handing a kid a Smartphone seems a bit premature for me. What;s the hurry to make them deal with grown-up problems?
    for my son, he is interested in the technology and how to do it vs trying to get him organized. If he has a desire to learn it, I will provide it. Heck he loves the game Portal (as do I) and he asked if we could make our own map, so we are doing that together. He also likes Star Wars so we play with the Star Wars toys together......just sharing time with things that can expound their thought, ideas, imagination, etc....
    I upgraded my 12 year old to my old and trusty 650. I installed some dictionaries, encyclopedia and the like. unlimited data so she can look stuff up if she needs to even though its painfully slow.

I installed some nifty ringtones and LJP and kinoma for streaming.

She brought home some bad grades, phone taken away. Result.......Shes working her but off to get her phone back!

Leverage with a pda/phone is a great way to keep your kids focused.
    I see nothing wrong with getting your kid a smartphone if they are responsible enough to use it properly and take care of it. And of course, I'd suggest monitoring their internet usage & messaging but that's a no-brainer for any kid's cell phone.

My kid is 4, she's already a techie & I plan to get her Palm pretty soon, probably a Zire, then a Treo when she starts school. I'll probably get her a pink Centro cause she likes pink. It's cute- she'll look at my black Centro, gingerly press the power button, smile up at me & say "what a pretty phone!". I'm so proud
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    My 6 and 7 year-olds have iPod Shuffles.
    They're simple to use and they love to use them on road trips.
    I control what music is on them and the volume settings.
    I want them to learn about technology, they can use a PC for games.
    They love daddy's Treo, I told them when they turn 11, I'd get one for them.
    Thats nice deal.
    I didn't realize a PDA was was so lethal in the hands of a 6 yr old!

"Everyone hit the deck, the kid has a....a.....TREO!!!!!!"

I totally agree that it has to be a child by child situation. I think adults think of PDAs in the frame of mind of how it runs their professional or private lives and the stress it causes them. That is only one aspect to have a PDA for, and by no means the sole or only reason for a PDA. Reminders, calendar, email, etc...are only small part of what a PDA can be used for. With a kid, there should never be pressure to use it, but a tool to have fun to learn. Heck if all they do is learn how to install a program, navigate the PDA to launch a game or listen to music then they are learning by doing nothing more than having a sup'ed up Gameboy / iPod fun device. If the child doesn't give a hoot about it, then great, wait until they are older like 16 yrs old and they do want one. Giving the right balance to quench a child's fascination about learning technology can be a wonderful thing.

The flip side is the stress and damage to a child by forcing something like this on a child. And I think most everyone that has posted here has made that distinction.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast