Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My 2 year verizon contract expired in mid december for my aging, beaten, and tired 650. I've liked the phone a lot, but I want EVDO, a better camera, more memory, etc... basically, a good upgrade. I'd LOVE to have wifi too (I'm a wifi junky, turns out).

So I've looked at the 755p on Verizon. It seems OK, basically a modest upgrade from the 650, some better features, but little WOW factor. I like the Palm OS, so that's fine.

The only thing stopping me is the potential for the 800w to be released, supposedly Q1 08. However, it sounds like (as usual) Sprint will have it first? Is that the thinking? I'm not sure I'd want to switch to Sprint, although I wouldn't care that much. So should I wait? I love technology, but I hate buying something to have a better one come out weeks later! That said, March seems so far away...

The way I see it, unless I switch platforms, either of these phones will do until 09 when the new palm OS comes out, and I can make another switch then.
    I got the 755p to make the wait for my 900p. The 800w is WM6 but it's supposed specs are tempting. I will take a look at the 800w but will most likely stay with my 10 years of Palm applications.

Tough call on how long your wait might be to see the 800w but WIFI and GPS on board could be worth it.

Of course, if you are willing to look at WM devices. . . . then you have opened the arena to many other offerings by different manufacturers.

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Verizon will not get the 800w intil a year or two after it is first released.
    FWIW, the Centro is reportedly coming to Verizon sometime. It has a better camera, EvDO and more memory...

Out of the Gate: Palm Shares Advance

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I got the 755p to make the wait for my 900p. The 800w is WM6 but it's supposed specs are tempting. I will take a look at the 800w but will most likely stay with my 10 years of Palm applications
    Cheers, Perry
    Perry, that sounds like a good strategy, one I might very well follow... Are you with Verizon or Sprint? Think the 900p will go to Sprint first? I HATE how long it takes Verizon to get phones!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by csmelosky View Post
    Verizon will not get the 800w intil a year or two after it is first released.
    Do you have this on good information?
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20 View Post
    Perry, that sounds like a good strategy, one I might very well follow... Are you with Verizon or Sprint? Think the 900p will go to Sprint first? I HATE how long it takes Verizon to get phones!
    I am on Sprint and yes, except for the 700w, it does seem like Sprint gets the new Palm Treos first. I chose Sprint for the cheap data plans and the coverage in Grand Rapids is equal to Verizon. My Sprint store let me borrow a store phone for a day to determine if their coverage worked for where I went before I moved carriers to them. ($20 a month savings on data monthly is $240 a year.) You may want to investigate Sprint if you do not have a lot of Verizon folks you get to call 'free'.
  8.    #8  
    My girlfriend has verizon, so I'd miss the free calls and text messages to her. Otherwise, some friends have it, but not that many.
    That could rack up the minutes!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Let's see......the Treo 600 and 650 both had their debut w/ Sprint and Verizon came ~6 months or more later on both. Then the Treo 700w launched exclusively with Verizon in January '06 and never appeared on Sprint. The 700wx debuted with Sprint that summer and arrived at Verizon about 4 months afterwards. The 700p was unusual in that it appeared on both CDMA giants simultaneously in May '06 (in some areas, the Verizon version was avaialable first, actually).

The 755p and Centro both launched on Sprint and we all know how long it took Verizon to pick up the 755p...and the Centro still may never appear on Verizon.

My recommendation in all of this? Sign a 1yr contract and get a 755p. Sell the 650 for whatever you can get for it and see what the smartphone landscape looks like in a year. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a creaky ol' FrankenGarnet device for 12 months instead of 24.
  11.    #11  
    Hm, I never considered that option. Only problem is I wont get the discount on the new phone that way, but maybe that's not such a terrible thing.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Hmmmm, unless things have changed drastically recently, the carriers (at least their corporate stores) still give discounts on the hardware if you sign a 1yr contract. Nowhere near as big as a 2yr but it is better than full retail.

I'd imagine that if a 755p is something like $550 or $600 full retail and a Centro is $400 full retail, then a 1yr contract would drop the 755p down to $400-$450 and the Centro down to the neigbhborhood of $200-$250. With the 755p in particular, you could play Verizon against Sprint and (if they are in your area) Alltel to see who comes up with the best price. But I think you're probably better off paying a bit more for your hardware with Sprint and saving on the monthly charges over the course of the year of your contract.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    stephentyler, I am in the same boat as you. I have now 30 mo old 650 on verizon. before that, had flip phone, which i kept in my pocket. at first, didn't like the bulk and antenna from 650. now used to it, but looking longingly at 755 and hoping for a centro. Also looking for new BB curve. Only rumors of curve and centro on VZW. Need to stay on this as on family plan, and son away at college, that free minute between us is addicting and keeps things affordable.

Tried the samsun i760, was really nice as a pda, surfing internet, but i rely on 1 handed operations too much to use a slider phone. And as much as people rag on POS, doing things on WM for phone (not PDA or inet or email) seems much more complicated than on POS. Other son got a HTC 8600 (on vzw called vz8600) w WM. Very nice, but slider and WM again.

Haven't tried a treo w WM, might be ok as I decided I want keyboard out front ala treo.

So where has all this led me to? Still waiting! Rumors of centro and BB curve available on vzw with 4 months. In june its 36 months, waiting till then! And I kind of like the antenna sticking out , that is how i pull the treo out of my pocket.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    If you check with eBay, you can find a 755p new in box w/ clean ESN and no contract for about $300-350.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Centro on ebay w/o contract is about $280 (smaller keyboard kills it for me though).

I hated the 700wx so I wouldn't recommend that route...

Sprint Centro + 2 year contract is roughly $80, with a SERO plan (500 minutes + unlimited text + unlimited data) for $30 a month, you can't lose though...
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20 View Post
    My 2 year verizon contract expired in mid december for my aging, beaten, and tired 650. I've liked the phone a lot, but I want EVDO, a better camera, more memory, etc... basically, a good upgrade. I'd LOVE to have wifi too (I'm a wifi junky, turns out).

So I've looked at the 755p on Verizon. It seems OK, basically a modest upgrade from the 650, some better features, but little WOW factor. I like the Palm OS, so that's fine.

The only thing stopping me is the potential for the 800w to be released, supposedly Q1 08. However, it sounds like (as usual) Sprint will have it first? Is that the thinking? I'm not sure I'd want to switch to Sprint, although I wouldn't care that much. So should I wait? I love technology, but I hate buying something to have a better one come out weeks later! That said, March seems so far away...

The way I see it, unless I switch platforms, either of these phones will do until 09 when the new palm OS comes out, and I can make another switch then.

If you do a lot of PIM and data entry... treo 680 is the way to go
    I know its old,but it's kind of no choice
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    If you do a lot of PIM and data entry... treo 680 is the way to go
    I know its old,but it's kind of no choice

My route from the Palm Treo's are 700p to 755p (given to my wife) Went to the BB 8830 (missed the weatlh of programs, currently have the Motorola Q8c, going to get the 800W Treo in June (or sooner) will try the Android and the new Palm when released next March. I will ebay the other phones or return them before the trial is over. Sprint is good about letting one try out he new phones. Right now sprint is good in Dallas area (large area with EVDO) and good in West Texas. EVDO is coming to west Texas sometime in the 2nd quarter and I am getting 400 to 699 kbps with Q. Sprint is a winner for me, just wish Palm would return to it's days of glory but competition is going to be rough with Android and Apple trying to woo us. If the Q had a touch screen, it would be a winning device!! What if apple comes out with a iphone with a keyboard too in addition to their full screen device
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I have this sneaking suspicion that we may never see the 800w on Verizon...at least not in the May/June timeframe. I predict it'll end up (at best) like the 755p & Centro did: Launch on Sprint and then several months of exclusivity before appears (if at all) on Verizon. I think Verizon is gonna try to standardize around 3 types of devices :feature-laden dumbphones, WM smartphones and Blackberries. That's it. No room for Android or POS IMO
    why wait? buy another smartphone and enjoy learning and loving something other than palm.
    I'm thinking of getting a Sprint Blackberry Pearl, or maybe a Curve, if that ever comes out. I love Palm, but, the 755 isn't much of a difference from my very stable 700p, except for being a tad thinner and different material, and different type of memory card. I just can't justify spending $200 for a phone that's basically the same phone I have now, when my phone's running great.

The Pearl's only $130 (I know, so close in price), but I do want something new to play with. I think it's called the 2 year itch.

Now, 2 years from now, hopefully Palm has a new OS out and I'll gladly switch back (as long as it's better than the current system).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast