Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Centro on ebay w/o contract is about $280 (smaller keyboard kills it for me though).

I hated the 700wx so I wouldn't recommend that route...

Sprint Centro + 2 year contract is roughly $80, with a SERO plan (500 minutes + unlimited text + unlimited data) for $30 a month, you can't lose though...
    Till the upgraded treo comes out 800/900/Linux whatever- the decision is 755p or Centro - my 650 is getting very tired- now resetting every day (sigh)
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Centro vs 755p is fairly straightforward depending on what you want.

These are the basic pro/cons of the Centro (centro cons are the pros for the 755p basically).

Centro:
    Pros:
    -Newer software bundle (DocsToGo 10 vs 8 on 755p, Versamail 4.0 vs 3.5.5 on 755p, etc). These can be manually upgraded of course (Centro VM update works on 755p, but docstogo and other paid software will cost you to upgrade).
    -A lot cheaper than 755p.
    -

Cons:
    -Smaller keyboard and smaller screen (might be tough to deal with if you have large fingers/hands). This was the largest dealbreaker for me. http://morningpaper.typepad.com/morn...ro755pleak.jpg
    -Smaller battery capacity (I'm not sure what there is in the way of 3rd party extended batteries for Centro, but there are many for the 755p, up to 3200mAh).
    -Form Factor. I like the 755p look and paint job a lot better, but this could be personal preference. The 755p soft-touch paint is awesome and looks great in blue.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Anyone have any info on Centro for VZW? I am not sure if i should repost in centro section. I know we have asked, but I think the Centrol has no longer exclusive to Sprint by now? If the Curve beats the Centro, I am seriously looking at Blackberry...
    Don't believe there is any official word on the VZ Centro.

The 755p took a while to hit Verizon, so I would imagine it will take a bit for the Centro to appear (if it does).
    I emailed to my companies VZW rep and she never even heard of the Centro. Not sure if she was playing it off or what, but she made it seem like the 755p was the latest and greatest from VZW. anyone else ask VZW about the Centro and get that kinda response?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Got tired of waiting too. Ordered the Touch with Sprint on Sero yesterday. If the treo comes out in the next month, I'll send it back probably and pay the difference. Probably wont though.
    I left the Treo for the Touch and am very happy.
    Tinkered around with the Touch the other day, and all I could think was "what on earth is going on over at Palm". That thing had a decent physical sized display and excellent thin form factor.
    ... Meanwhile, I'm waiting on my rumpshaker battery to arrive so that my Treo 680 keyhole sized screen fatty can make it through an entire day of use. Geesh.
    Patrick Horne
    Treo 755p
    Main Screen Dimensions 2.4
    Main Screen Resolution 320 x 320

Htc Touch:
    Main Screen Dimensions 2.8
    Main Screen Resolution 320 x 240

I don't really consider that an enormous difference.
    It's actually a pretty big difference if you have used both devices.
    My previous phone was the Mogul, which has the exact same screen dimensions of the Touch.
    I'm in the same boat over here, just trying to decide what the heck to do. I've had my Sprint 650 since January of '05. She still works fine, but she's starting to show her age. Not to mention the fact that I've been in the mood for an upgrade since the 700p came out! I decided to hold off on purchasing to see if there were any bugs that needed to be resolved, and we all know how THAT went.

Amazingly, I'm still crazy enough to contemplate buying a 700p if I could be assured that it wouldn't be buggy (with or without the update). The form factor of my 650 is fine. I don't mind the antenna or the size, and I really like the 700p for the fact that I could keep my 2 8GB SDHC cards. I'd also be able to keep my existing magnesium case and gain the benefit of EVDO and more ram.

At the same time though, I wouldn't mind making the leap to new mini or micro SD cards if there were enough compelling features on a new device to make it worth my while. Unfortunately, I've played quite a bit with WM, and found that it just isn't for me. I really want to like it because it would open me up to a whole new world of options, but you can't force love. Not to mention my plethora of Palm apps that I'm not ready to part ways with. I've also played with the iPhone which I really like once you "jailbreak" it to allow 3rd party apps, but I've decided that I want to stick with Sprint and a physical keyboard.

My most recent 2 year contract (I changed my plan) with Sprint is ending in April, so I'll be a free agent for the first time in a decade! I've been in this stupid holding pattern now literally for YEARS just waiting for the next major upgrade to my 650, and NOTHING out there has done it for me. I figure I've lasted this long, so what's another year? At this point I've just grown accustomed to running low on memory forever stuck in a 1xRTT feedback loop. Please Palm. Just do SOMETHING.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    copy that dude - Ive been out of contract for a month with my tired old 650 that basically works but has lately been running down the battery as keeps losing the netwrok and switching backa nd forth betw roaming and sprint - other than that, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking- wishing the 755p were more reliable and cheaper (bout 300-350) for clean ESN no contract on eBay.

Roi Batty

My 700p has been given a new lease on life with the 755 rom and Lightspeed. The phone flies now, and is very, very stable. Just wanted to throw that in...I plan on waiting for Palm's next device as my phone will suit me just fine until then.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    My 700p has been given a new lease on life with the 755 rom and Lightspeed. The phone flies now, and is very, very stable. Just wanted to throw that in...I plan on waiting for Palm's next device as my phone will suit me just fine until then.

what is Lightspeed?

Roi Batty

Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I've had the touch for about a week now. Initially, I almost felt instant regret with the keyboard (or lack thereof, but feature after feature of the phone wowed me as I discovered them every hour). Then I figured out how to work with predictive text and switch between standard text on the fly. While a keyboard would be great, the size difference (this thing is SMALL) definitely makes up for it. Great ****ing phone-I love this thing.
    Lightspeed is an overclock app.

I would probably go back to a WM phone if the Touch Cruise came to Sprint. But I seriously doubt it will so oh well.
    Last edited by papped; 03/05/2008 at 01:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Ok I caved, came into a little extra money and re-upped with Sprint for 2 years and got a 755p for $199. I can't wait!! My plan is to upgrade firmware before activating, change my hotsync ID and reinstall all apps fresh- any other suggestions?

Roi Batty

Use CleanStart and stop Blazer from being alerted on a reset (and only allow apps you know you need to be alerted on a reset, such as alarm apps, email, etc). This disables you from using Blazer as your "default browser app" until you launch it first, but it stops Blazer from fragmenting your ram on startup.

Get FixField.prc. This corrects that stupid problem where many text entry fields are not selected by default when they pop up so you have to click them before you can type in it.

Get Nexave to replace the default treo keyguard (or use the butler one). Nexave is free though and I like it a lot.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I got the 755p to make the wait for my 900p. The 800w is WM6 but it's supposed specs are tempting. I will take a look at the 800w but will most likely stay with my 10 years of Palm applications.

Tough call on how long your wait might be to see the 800w but WIFI and GPS on board could be worth it.

Of course, if you are willing to look at WM devices. . . . then you have opened the arena to many other offerings by different manufacturers.

Cheers, Perry
    Yah, I got my 755p yesterday and it is wonderful -did the update on an empty machine and it works fine- BT is still a little squirrely - surprising since the 650 BT was fairly stable

Roi Batty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast