1.    #1  
    I found that pmtracedatabase had grown to over 4 MB on my 680 yesterday. By backing up, hard resetting, and restoring everything except that file, I now have a pmtracedatabase file of 4 KB now.

This gives me an extra 10% of memory on the 680. I have searched around on the forums and with google but have yet to discover what this file does and where it comes from. Does anyone know? Is it just like fingernails, useful in the past but now something that just must be trimmed every now and then?
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    I have the same file, but it resists being transferred during a sync.

Would like to delete it, but no idea what it does.
    RJuhl
    It cannot be deleted. What you can do is with an application such as FileZ, uncheck the archive option and it should sync. As for what it does, I have checked the Palm site and done a search for it with no success. One Palm forum manager thought it had something to do with DTG. The creator codes, pmtL and PmUU do not pan out in a search with any significant information.
    On my 755 there's even a pmtracedummy?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Yeah, I think this is new to the 2.12 FW for the 680, no idea what's doing it.

Sometimes you can delete it, sometimes you can't... Warm reset should be able to regardless.
    I 'viewed' it with filez, and saw some reference to Quickword, which I do use, so maybe?
    RJuhl
    I do not use QuickWord. Ben
    I have a feeling it's tracking something... PM to me says "Power Management" but it might be anything.
    There are many files in the ROM beginning pm :

PmNetPref
    PmRemoteFSLib
    PmUIUtilLib
    ...etc...

So I'm not sure it stands for power management in this case. Seems it could be a trace log of interrupts generated by various applications, not sure who it's intended to be read by though, unless Palm forgot to switch off some debug code?
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post

PmNetPref
    PmRemoteFSLib
    PmUIUtilLib
    ...etc...

So I'm not sure it stands for power management in this case. Seems it could be a trace log of interrupts generated by various applications, not sure who it's intended to be read by though, unless Palm forgot to switch off some debug code?
    That's my guess; debug stuff left on.
    It's certainly for Palm internal use only as there are no meaningful references to it that I can find anywhere on the Palm or Access developer sites.
    I'll make a wild guess and say that it's used by Palm to help them debug their stuff in much the same way that application developers use 'Palm Reporter'.

I wonder if there are particular ROM versions where we don't see this file grow in size?
    Can you find HSTraceDatabase on your device? On a Sprint 650, that's a file that keeps a record of crash data (date/time/cause/program running). Although it never grows as large as you've indicated.

Maybe the HS stood for Handspring; PM stands for Palm???
    That is correct! and that is what the file does, tracks crashes.

Ben
  14.    #14  
    That's actually possible as I had gotten into a few reset loops lately with some of the beta software I've been testing. The size of the file has stayed much better lately (and I've not had the reset loops either, so it all makes sense).

Now, if someone could just tell me what application uses the source file HcdIST.c...
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Today I had an error with reset without having touched my treo680, while sitting in its car-holder, connected to my bluetooth supertooth:
    "HcdIST.c, Line:576, AOE Fatal Assert"
    don't know, what it means. My PmTraceDatabase is 283K, the PmTracheDummyDatabase i 3K, both with date of last change is January, 24, 2008.
    On a Sprint 650, where HSTraceDatebase contains crash data, I can confirm that although the file updates data for each crash, it does not necessarily update the modification date. Use something like Filez to examine the contents. You may find that indeed the file has been modified although the modification date has not.

HSTraceDatebase is the only file I've noticed that can actually be modified without the modification date stamp getting updated.

That said, sometimes it does get updated. Couldn't say for sure why it updates mod date for some crashes but not for other crashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post

PmNetPref
    PmRemoteFSLib
    PmUIUtilLib
    ...etc...

As I recall, the Pm prefix is for Palm-created OS library files, as opposed to the PalmSource/ACCESS-created library files.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    That's my guess; debug stuff left on.
    Handspring and then later Palm created a logging library (HsTrace/PmTrace) for the system and OS to log debug information. PmTraceDatabase is the database the logs are written to. Logging is supposed to be off or minimal by default except when a developer is debugging a problem. If the database is getting big either an app increased the logging level, someone forgot to turn off logging, or the device has been used for so long that even the minimal logging built up over time.
    HSTraceDatabase on my device grew until it reached 19 records. Since then, it's been been dumping oldest record on each write. For 3 years now. I kind of wish I knew how to control that.