Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    From today's InformationWeek daily email....

Consumers Not Smart Enough For Smartphones

You have one chance to guess what the most-returned gifts were this holiday season. If you guessed smartphones, you'd be right. A new survey from Opinion Research Corp. shows that 21% of gifted smartphones were returned to the store. The reason? Inability to understand the product set-up process. Perhaps smartphones aren't ready for prime time after all...

Some smartphones are easier to use than others, there's no doubt. But if one in five regular people can't figure them out, what does that tell us? The user experience isn't getting the job done right.

What do you think? I'm going over a friends house this weekend to show him, his wife and mom how to use their new Centros. Aren't Treos/Centros among the easiest to use "real" smartphones? What can be done to make things easier for new users?
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Direct them to TC!!!!

Like any tool, a "smartphone" is only usefull if there is a need to be satisfied, otherwise it's a waste of time and money to own one. I'll let someone else speculate why someone would own a tool they have no need for, but the Centro is certainly an great alternative for personal email, event reminders, and a little black book. Start them on the basics of PIM and the rest should follow...
    I think most people are a little scared of smartphones.

My sister just bought a Centro and she is having a little trouble with it. I think she feels overwhelmed. She thinks she has to understand how to do everything on it right now.

I keep telling her not to worry about it.

On a whim, I asked her to create a list of 5 things she wants to do with the phone in the order of importance.

Her #1 item was 'phone'. So I told her again "don't worry about all the other stuff the Centro can do right now...just worry about how to use it as a phone" (add contacts, phone log, put someone on hold,...). Once you have that down, start playing with the next thing on your list (email), and so on...

Hopefully this will help. Maybe this idea can help others too.
    I've used PalmOS for 10 years now and I'm still learning new things. Thanks to all those 3rd-party developers!

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    From today's InformationWeek daily email....

Consumers Not Smart Enough For Smartphones

Some smartphones are easier to use than others, there's no doubt. But if one in five regular people can't figure them out, what does that tell us? The user experience isn't getting the job done right.
    No, it means 1 in 5 regular people are too stupid to use smartphones. Seriously, they're just not for everyone.

If you want to make everything down to the lowest common denominator you get candy-bar phones and iphones. There are those of us who actually want more power and features, and understand them well enough to use that extra funcionality.

Anyone who really thinks that everyone is created equal in terms of ability to use devices is fooling themselves...it may sound harsh, but it's the cruel reality of this world.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    No news here. Same subset of population that could not set VCR clock.
    ^Excellent point!^
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Which is why the iphone did well. They know the audience has to be treated like 6yr olds.
    I agree. Majority of consumers do not know how to use smartphones. I think mostly because they're afraid to touch one thinking it's too high tech for them and that they don't need all those extra features. But i know a few who have converted and they've adapted very well. I think with the introduction of the iphone that will all change in the future. They've opened up the doors for a lot of anti-smartphone consumers.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    What can be done to make the startup easier for first timers?
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Give them the manual and tell them to take a few ranks in Reading Comprehension (int).
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I think it comes down to the person having the ability to think AND being totally lazy.

How many posts are made with someone asking how to do something, simple in most cases, that is clearly spelled out in the manual.

Many won't even do a search of the forums or look at the next post down from their post to get the answer.

To dumb to look in the manual and to lazy to read it.

Most people are idiots. Product of parenting and an educational system that does not encourage curiosity and learning. Just want to suck off the system.

Same people can't use computers, can't set vcrs, etc, etc. Stupid is as stupid does.
    The problem is smartphones are not "there" yet.

I love my treo, but it does have its little "issues" that are not really issues, but "how" it works. Going from a nokia clam to 700wx was an odd experience... had to get used to shutting down memory, dealing with what to do when *I* installed a program that messed up the treo, knowing what to do when it won't sync with your computer, etc, etc....

Don't get me wrong, smartphones are there for people who want them to be, but they are not simple devices that "just work."
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    FTA:

"That's really shameful. One in five people found smartphones so difficult to set up that they gave up and returned them to the store. Hardware manufacturers, wireless network operators, and software/platform creators should be red-faced with embarrassment."

It's people like the writer that are the real problem by perpetuating the notion that devices like smartphones are the problem (or rather the developers, etc).

My question is: Out of those 21% who returned them, how many of those people should have been able to adequately use their device?
    You can't change the market though. If people are challenged by such things, you must make it easy for them, do some handholding, and market to them as if they know nothing.

The general rule is that people are stupid til they prove otherwise and this doesn't happen often. It may sound insensitive or make me sound arrogant, but its true.