Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    "I want a sophisticated phone" - I heard this phrase a few times already (from ladies), and wanted to recommend Treo/Centro to them. On second thoughts, I don't think the Treo is sophisticated enough, especially the 755p, 680. What do you think? And what other phones would you consider "sophisticated"?
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    What do you mean sophisticated? The Treo comes with bunches of applications that do bunches of things and there are bunches of applications available to make it do even more bunches of things. It just works. Do you really mean sophisticated as in "pretty?"

Ben
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I don't know about you all, but I've seen more and more ladies with Blackberries (namely the Curve). It kind of suprised me at first because most of the women I know (including my wife) have always liked small and sleek, like the Razor.

It seems to me the smartphone thing must really be catching on. I know my wife loves her Centro.
    I actually see a lot of girls with pearls. My friend has a white one and she keeps it in its little black sleeve all the time.
    As far as treos are concerned I think the treo 750 is the most sophisticated of them all. Specially if it has WM6 installed.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    What do you mean sophisticated? The Treo comes with bunches of applications that do bunches of things and there are bunches of applications available to make it do even more bunches of things. It just works. Do you really mean sophisticated as in "pretty?"

Ben
    To me, "sophisticated" is mostly about the look - trendy, unique, and smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    I agree. And while the functionality of the device is very important of course...I wanted Alltel's black Treo 755p because it looks more "sophisticated." Rather tuxedo-ish (yea, I made up that word lol). This of course is relative though, black is chic to me whereas some other woman may think that of the color pink.

Most of my devices are black or silver, they look slick and don't "stand out" in a business setting.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    I actually see a lot of girls with pearls. My friend has a white one and she keeps it in its little black sleeve all the time.
    With the contrast of black and white - that makes the phone and person look even more sophisticated. That's probably the same reason people choose black or white suits.
    Trendy, et cetera, may be nice; however, a really "smart" phone is one that is configured to meet your day-to-day needs in an efficient manner and that is the bottom line of any device - does it meet your needs in an adequate manner.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Trendy, et cetera, may be nice; however, a really "smart" phone is one that is configured to meet your day-to-day needs in an efficient manner and that is the bottom line of any device - does it meet your needs in an adequate manner.

Ben
    I agree, and nothing else really works as well as a Treo for me, and many others, if they would just think about it and be honest with themselves.
    1. I have an old 700p on Sprint. EVDO is faster than EDGE of ATT so browsing the web should be faster on my Treo than an Iphone.
    2. I can open and edit Word and Excel files on my Treo. Can that be done easily on other phones? Maybe....but how many other phones come with Documents to Go as standard?
    3. As far as music goes, the Iphone has 8 GB of space. I can get a 16 GB SD card from newegg for $75 and have double the space of an Iphone.
    4. With my Treo I can make appts. with one hand, with just a few keystrokes. Try that with an Iphone. text messaging is just as easy as well. It can be done easily with one hand.
    5. I also have some 3rd party apps on my Treo which for me are great. No 3rd party apps are allowed yet on the Iphone are they?
    6. Corporate email on a Treo is no problem. From what I've heard it doesn't work on an Iphone.
    7. Treo's replaceable battery. You can get 700p batteries for about $10 shipped from ebay, so they are cheap and you never have to worry about running out of power.

So the old Treo is a brick and is ugly to some. I say so what? It still does more than the new phones, and most things are easier to get done. Isn't that what really matters?
    Isn't it sexier to see a woman with a "smartphone" that knows how to use it? It doesn't matter what the phone looks like if she has it just to look cool... I hate meeting women with BBs and Treos that think they're so cool having them and then trying to talk with them only to find they have no idea what their device actually does...
    Ah yes, form over function.

Exactly how most people make decisions, and exactly the reason so many inferior products are on the market.
    Form over function is the single reason the iPhone has succeeded. Okay...advertising played a role, too.
    The LG Chocolate is pretty trendy; I hear all the teens want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Isn't it sexier to see a woman with a "smartphone" that knows how to use it? It doesn't matter what the phone looks like if she has it just to look cool... I hate meeting women with BBs and Treos that think they're so cool having them and then trying to talk with them only to find they have no idea what their device actually does...
    I hate this too and I see it all the time, unfortunately...especially with young girls wanting a "cool" phone to text with. One being my niece.

I want/need a smartphone/PDA that helps me get things done efficiently...however, I also want a "sophisticated" looking device. I don't want to walk into a meeting with a "toy" looking "teeny bopper" device as I attempt to schedule events, etc.

I guess it's a relative term. I want my device to be sophisticated in it's form and function....and I have that in my 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaster View Post
    5. I also have some 3rd party apps on my Treo which for me are great. No 3rd party apps are allowed yet on the Iphone are they?
    6. Corporate email on a Treo is no problem. From what I've heard it doesn't work on an Iphone.
    3rd party apps are coming to the iPhone. They exist now if you hack your iPhone, I believe, but Apple has announced (and may be shipping) the SDK for the iPhone.

As for corp e-mail, it depends on the system. I work for a major university, and we use and Exchange 2003 system (moving to 2007 in the next 6 months). It doesn't get the same level of integration as a Treo using EAS or a Blackberry with BES, but you can setup e-mail. I have not personally set one up, but by looking at the directions that are posted through our internal IT, it looks like it treats it like a standard IMAP e-mail or something, as you have to use our SMTP authentication for outgoing, it doesn't just sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohappydaye View Post
    I hate this too and I see it all the time, unfortunately...especially with young girls wanting a "cool" phone to text with. One being my niece.

I want/need a smartphone/PDA that helps me get things done efficiently...however, I also want a "sophisticated" looking device. I don't want to walk into a meeting with a "toy" looking "teeny bopper" device as I attempt to schedule events, etc.

I guess it's a relative term. I want my device to be sophisticated in it's form and function....and I have that in my 755p.
    Yeah, I don't see why they don't just get something like a enV or Sidekick if all they want is texting. Underuse of a device is one of the most prevalent things in people who aren't tech-savvy unfortunately. They want what everyone else has, even if they have no clue as to the functionality. I don't see why so many people at my job have Blackberrys, as most of them don't know how to use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerboy13 View Post
    Yeah, I don't see why they don't just get something like a enV or Sidekick if all they want is texting. Underuse of a device is one of the most prevalent things in people who aren't tech-savvy unfortunately. They want what everyone else has, even if they have no clue as to the functionality. I don't see why so many people at my job have Blackberrys, as most of them don't know how to use them.
    One excuse for her, is that she and her siblings are on an Alltel family plan so she doesn't have the option of the Sidekick or the enV...though Alltel is getting it's rebranded version of the enV I believe soon (if not already) so she may take the Treo back or sell it.

However, the point remains that she's wasting her money buying a device when she has no intention of maximizing it's potential...BUT you can't tell a teenager anything and if her mom is going to let her waste the money then what can I do? Besides come on here and complain about them.