1.    #1  
    Just read this article about a 1ghz processor in a phone. Think that's about double what's in the fastest smartphones out there now. Would be a nice jump and with HSPDA and Rev A, bottlenecking should be kept at a minimum. GPS and Wifi standard as well is nice. Could give those ultra micro pc's a run for their money convenience-wise for slider type phones.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    A faster processor usually means more heat generation and faster battery drain. And a faster processor is usually not necessary as the bottlenecks are elsewhere. A faster processor is usually a marketing tactic to divert attention from more important "issues."
  3.    #3  
    a faster processor would mean much quicker database refreshes everytime I change the sort or lookup info of my contacts in Agendus. So it can't all be a gimmick. I know it sped up when I went from my i500 to the 700p.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Ha, right, Palm being a technological innovator When's the last time they've done that (The Treo doesn't count, that was Handspring.)

I say this as a fan of Palm's software, even on WM (which is much more one-hand usable than many alternatives.) That being said, they've never used advanced technology in any of their devices, why would they start now.
    I'd take a longer battery life over a faster processor for my Treo any day.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Wasn't palm's former name handspring?
    Handspring's brain trust is firmly in charge of Palm. So the original Treo DOES count.

Ed Colligan is the CEO, and Jeff Hawkins is still around (although his Foleo apparently is not).
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Yes, but from what I've read, the corporate culture at Handspring was entirely different from what it is at Palm.
  9.    #9  
    well considering the company that makes that handset is the mfg palm uses to make their products and the fact that their future of anything outside of the wm OS hinges upon the release of their linux phone, it better be bleeding edge.

And bulls....way too early to speculate that IF a faster processor was used, battery life will definitely suffer. It's still a year away. The processor could have lower voltage requirements and be less of a drain than today's slower processors. Other efficiencies can be found. Battery tech can improve. Who know?
    Why don't we all wait until the Linux POS is actually close to release before speculating on the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    ...it better be bleeding edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    ...way too early to speculate that IF a faster processor was used, battery life will definitely suffer.
    I feel the same way too. But my point was, it could (quickly) become a mindless thing... like the "slim" or "slider" or "flip" thing. There are some who would conclude that a phone without a 1GHz processor is worthless.