Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

    Running a 650, very happy and great apps, except that I would like 3G GSM quad band.

    Is Palm OS dead? Any rumoured / known plans of an upgrade model to the 650 in Palm OS that will handle 3G?

    Tried a Windoze Mobile 6 HTC phone, absolutely the pits when it comes to battery life, speed of apps, etc. And then that dreaded Outlook - yuk! (My opinion, YMMV!), although the 3G reception was far superior to 2G (can only comment on Australia, don't know about the rest of the world, sorry.)

    Regards,

    John Phillips
    Sydney, Australia
  2. #2  
    POS Garnet can not do GSM 3G. There may be new devices running a linux-based POS successor which can do 3G in 2009.

    Surur
  3. 47619's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #3  
    It is not the palm os that can't do 3g any any mobile os can do 3G it is the hardware that con't do 3G I believe there is a 3g treo.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by csmelosky View Post
    It is not the palm os that can't do 3g any any mobile os can do 3G it is the hardware that con't do 3G I believe there is a 3g treo.
    Not true. Its PalmOS.

    Surur
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    POS Garnet can not do GSM 3G. There may be new devices running a linux-based POS successor which can do 3G in 2009.

    Surur
    So Palm OS is dead in this respect - no further development?
  6. #6  
    The developement in the OS will be Linux base.
    at&t iPhone3G
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Phillips View Post
    So Palm OS is dead in this respect - no further development?
    Garnet is dead, but a Centro with Garnet (but no 3G) is still heading to the GSM world. This means you will be able to get a new device with the old OS in 2008. In early 2009 Palm says it will release new devices with the new OS, apparently code named Nova. Its widely expected to be compatible with PalmOS apps, but to have a much more modern appearance, and to be based on Linux, which will finally give Palm the multi-tasking OS they need to run UMTS/HSDPA.

    So yes, in short, Garnet is dead, but will live on in spirit.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Garnet is dead, but a Centro with Garnet (but no 3G) is still heading to the GSM world. This means you will be able to get a new device with the old OS in 2008. In early 2009 Palm says it will release new devices with the new OS, apparently code named Nova. Its widely expected to be compatible with PalmOS apps, but to have a much more modern appearance, and to be based on Linux, which will finally give Palm the multi-tasking OS they need to run UMTS/HSDPA.

    So yes, in short, Garnet is dead, but will live on in spirit.
    Thanks.

    Hope my 650 lasts the distance!
  9. Devtodi's Avatar
    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    #9  
    Yes, I want my 650 to last also but I am itching to get a treo with more internet speed and larger memory- is it work it to go 755p before the new treos come out? They are about 300 w/ no contract and clean ESN on ebay- I am an inch away from gettin one...
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

    Roi Batty


    palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
  10. #10  
    Palm OS is, essentially, dead. But in spite of it's age and creaky underpinnings, it's still easier to use for most things than any of the current alternatives, including the overrated iphone.

    I'll not switch from my 700p to a Winmob phone until either it, or I, am truly dead, or Microsoft does something it's never done before: design and implement a clean, simple, easy to use, consistent interface. One that can be used one-handed, and without a stylus would be nice, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Palm OS is, essentially, dead. But in spite of it's age and creaky underpinnings, it's still easier to use for most things than any of the current alternatives, including the overrated iphone.

    I'll not switch from my 700p to a Winmob phone until either it, or I, am truly dead, or Microsoft does something it's never done before: design and implement a clean, simple, easy to use, consistent interface. One that can be used one-handed, and without a stylus would be nice, too.
    Well said, Bob.
  12. #12  
    POS "IS" dead as far as I am concerned. Win Vista 64 has been out for almost a YEAR now and NO support. They have not even bothered to provide a USB driver for the 755 to be recognized. I think the writing is on the wall. Your denial may not let you "see" it.
    I am finally looking to go to WM - touch cruise when avail on sprint.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Palm OS is, essentially, dead. But in spite of it's age and creaky underpinnings, it's still easier to use for most things than any of the current alternatives, including the overrated iphone.

    I'll not switch from my 700p to a Winmob phone until either it, or I, am truly dead, or Microsoft does something it's never done before: design and implement a clean, simple, easy to use, consistent interface. One that can be used one-handed, and without a stylus would be nice, too.
    Maybe the OS is for the most part the same as it has been for numerous years. But, the bottom line is, it works!!! Simplicity is what makes it good. Maybe some want it fancier, to each his own. I tried WM devices and they did do a good job. But, compare to my Palm OS devices, they were all slow. I decided to go back to something that just plain worked. On WM devices you are constantly waiting for the hypnotic circle to stop spinning. On all my WM devices I have had to reset every week or so just to gain some of the memory back, even with apps that closed an app when you tap the x. My 755 reset maybe once a month and my Centro has reset twice in 4 months and I run around 50 apps on it.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  14. #14  
    My Treo 750 is far superior to my Treo 650, and variety of HTC WM5/6 devices I've owned. Its just amazing how well Palm "gets" what users want and can make seemingly small changes make the biggest differences in actual use and operation.

    The Palm OS is just outdated, and the biggest reason i say so is because it can't multitask which is the reason why no 3G GSM POS Treo exists, and why there is no GPS/WiFi on current models.
  15. #15  
    I wouldn't say the Palm OS is dead. It's just going to be replaced sometime next year. I've tried a lot of different devices and IMHO the Palm OS is still the best OS for a PDA smartphone. To put it simply, it works, there's abundance great 3rd party apps (not to mention free apps too), and it's the easiest OS to use. I'm tired of people touting how great WM devices are. Quite frankly they're slow, the built in apps lack functionality, 3rd party apps are immature, and from a user perspective the OS just isn't efficient.
  16. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    #16  
    It might do us good to remember all of the doomsayers who confidently predicted that the Macintosh OS had run it's course and Apple would soon be dead, as well. (c. 1997) All it took was one great idea (the iMac) to turn the momentum the other way.

    Palm may be headed down the same path to eternal slumber; to listen to some, you would think they are wishing it so. But look how the Centro has excited millions of people around the planet like no other Treo before it. No one saw this coming, not even Palm themselves. But this indeed is the shot in the arm that the company needed.

    From what I understand, they have put all available resources on getting the new OS together ASAP. The old OS is plenty good enough for me (and obviously, many others) to use until that day comes when they release something better. When they do, we'll all be on this TC forum, talking about how cool it is, while listening to others gripe about the things that Palm left out! Thank God that Palm allows us to use some really cool 3rd-party apps, eh?

    tim
  17. #17  
    This question again?

    It's obvious it is dead, and has been for some time.

    All the growth is in Windows Mobile, Apple, and Symbian.

    Not a hater, just a realist.

Posting Permissions