Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    I've done my research, compared phones and checked out service providers. I've narrowed by choices to AT&T (currently have) and Verizon. Sprint and the other carriers do not have good service in the areas I use my phone. And, I'm sticking with the Palm OS, so don't try and push Windows or I-Phone on me.

Now the question is what are the real differences between the two phones? Or, should I wait another month or two for a Centro on either carrier. My current 650 is on its last legs (headset jack is shot, resets a lot, out of usable memory, etc.).

I do know the 755p has a better camera. has miniSD versus SD for 680, is a 0.14 ounces heavier and 0.04 inches deeper. But all other specs seem to be identical?

Are the processors the same?

Is there a difference in reliability? I understand the 755p is much better than the 700p, but is it better than the 680?

Also, are there advantages to the carriers? AT&T has been less than a thrilling experience (the interference put out by the radio is annoying and I've had problems with dropped calls and lack of data connections). I had Verizon for several years and was generally happy with their customer service (parted ways with them 4 years ago for a better phone and broader coverage -- which they've fixed in the intervening years).

How do the data rates compare with the carriers/phones? Is there a noticeable difference between EvDo and EDGE? Can either be used as a modem for my laptop?

What about battery life?

Are the software products installed on them comparable -- e.g. same versions of Docs to Go, Ptunes, etc.

What am I missing? Fill in the blanks for me before I drop the cash for a new phone.
    The biggest difference is the 680 isn't 3g(fast) so you have to use EDGE(slow) for data connections. EVDO and 3g are comparable. EDGE is very slow compared to EVDO and 3g.

The price of voice and data plans are comparable. You can get 2000 free txt messages with verizon if you call and get the promo package. Do a search details on how to get the promo are in the forum.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked Treo 680 on T-Mobile/AT&T and would gladly have a Treo 755p on Sprint or Verizon because of EvDO and 1.3mp camera... but the whole idea of CDMA still sends chills down my back.

sorry cdma people, I am a gsm bird.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    I really like the ability to pop my sim card out and put it in a little cheap phone when I don't want to carry my Treo. CDMA can't do that. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    wait for the gsm centro (ATT), tmobile next (unlocked)
    its using micro-sd card though, 4 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by daniela View Post
    wait for the gsm centro (ATT), tmobile next (unlocked)
    its using micro-sd card though, 4 GB
    Given that any GSM Palm OS Treo can't do 3G, why bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Given that any GSM Palm OS Treo can't do 3G, why bother?
    But it what Hardcase wants, he cant be persuaded to try winmo
    Quote Originally Posted by daniela View Post
    But it what Hardcase wants, he cant be persuaded to try winmo
    Point being, he should go with the CDMA 755p