Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Sprint is cutting 4,000 employees and closing 125 retail stores. Does Sprintís pain have to do Treo phones? Sprint is the most active partner that heavily promotes Treo and Centro all the time, but they got stuck with pretty much the same Treo form factor since Treo 600. It doesnít matter how much discount you give, people get tired of the same old Treo. Many of my friends who were with Sprint switch to iphone(AT&T) and blackberry(T-Mobile). The current churn rate for Sprint is at 2.6% which is higher than any other carriers. Those of you who stay away from Sprint or cancelled your Sprint account, please confess, does it have to do with Palm/Treo? Or is it the network, customer service, plans/features, or price? Sprint has the exclusive right to sell Treo/Centro for 90 days, is that enough for Sprint attract and retain customers?
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Nobody twisted Sprints arm to get in bed with Palm, maybe they should have cut a better deal with apple.
    What, Sprint is in this condition because of Palm? Yeah, Sprint only has Palm phones in stock, right? This has nothing to do with Palm.

I have been with Sprint for years, and I have no plans on leaving them. I get good service and my Palm phones work.

Mutually exclusive self inflicted wounds.
    Dumbest theory ever.

Treos and PDA count for a miniscule amount of Sprint customers I think I'll now have to ignore mikecc's 'thoughts' from now on...lol

Customer service is the #1 problem with Sprint.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Dumbest theory ever.

Yeah, that is the big flag right now that is causing the disruption in their customer base. Other reasons also include neglect of the IDEN network, execution problems migrating IDEN subscribers (Nextel) to the Sprint network after the merger and failed attempts to differentiate their brand.

I'm sorry, Sprint Speed doesn't cut it from a persuasion standpoint. ATT boasts their signal strength, Verizon the strength of their network and Sprint?? Yeah, you get my point.

To blame this on Palm is a little off the mark in my opinion.

Sprint isn't a bad company. Where I live, I get good signal strength and they were always willing to work with me in terms of prorating my previous bills for added data plans, etc. And you can bargain with them with SERO plans and other price breaks.

Sprint needs to really look deep inside itself and fix the core issues that plague their culture. It's tough, but it needs to be done even if it means firing head management, etc. Customer service is a big part of it, but you talk to anyone who hates their cell phone company and CS is their #1 complaint, so Sprint isn't the only one with problems.

Who knows what will become of this.
    For me, it's mostly been the billing part of customer service. As long as I don't make changes, I don't have any problems.

The CS reps I talk to are always nice and try to be helpful, but the changes they make to my account aren't always correct, I hear conflicting stories from different people, etc. The account changes almost always cause billing errors and it takes a few months of calls before they get resolved.

From what I read, they may have taken steps to try and fix their billing system, but like many other things - just didn't do it soon enough.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    ...Those of you who stay away from Sprint or cancelled your Sprint account, please confess, does it have to do with Palm/Treo? ...
    I want a Centro so bad, I can taste it. All I want is a Palm OS device that can also make phone calls. That being said, Sprint's coverage in SW Michigan is so notoriously bad, there is no way I am going with them. I have waited this long, I'll wait a little longer until the GSM version comes out, which I will be able to use with ATT, or even Centennial Wireless, whom I am with currently.
    I think more a lack of good customer service, as others have said. Sprint was rude and messed up my bill too many times. People now say they don't even speak good English anymore when you call.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Sprint is cutting 4,000 employees and closing 125 retail stores. Does Sprintís pain have to do Treo phones? Sprint is the most active partner that heavily promotes Treo and Centro all the time, but they got stuck with pretty much the same Treo form factor since Treo 600. It doesnít matter how much discount you give, people get tired of the same old Treo. Many of my friends who were with Sprint switch to iphone(AT&T) and blackberry(T-Mobile). The current churn rate for Sprint is at 2.6% which is higher than any other carriers. Those of you who stay away from Sprint or cancelled your Sprint account, please confess, does it have to do with Palm/Treo? Or is it the network, customer service, plans/features, or price? Sprint has the exclusive right to sell Treo/Centro for 90 days, is that enough for Sprint attract and retain customers?
    No, but we should blame Sprint for many of Palm's problems. The preference for Sprint over Verizon and for CDMA over GSM will be on the table when we discuss the demise of Palm.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    This is speculation but maybe Verizon and ATT are harder to deal with? Verizon locks down it's phones' firmware something awful, even worse than ATT! ATT takes forever to release phones and new firmware, due to overtesting or whatever. Palm cannot seem to stand up to these 2 carriers and all their restrictions and modification requests, which is one problem, but it's THEIRS not Sprint's.

Plus I guess T-Mobile USA got cold feet after all the 600 returns, so they just backed off entirely at the time.

So what's left? Sprint, who unfortunately just isn't the best customer service wise but maybe they're more willing to work with Palm?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Dumbest theory ever.

Treos and PDA count for a miniscule amount of Sprint customers I think I'll now have to ignore mikecc's 'thoughts' from now on...lol

I personally find their CS very nice but they can't always solve my problems. Sometimes, TreoCentral is the best place to find the solutions. Just came across a poll on engadget, 17.6% readers think the handset selection causing the pain. I wish they could be more specific, like what types/brands of phones Sprint should have given up.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    I moved to sprint in September from T-Mobile for the SERO plan and the 755P.

In Wash DC sprint has a FAR better signal -- in offices I was always running around, trying to get a dial tone with my old gsm 650.

Thats almost never a problem anymore.

I pay less now for more minutes, much faster net access, and a better phone with insurance than I had with TMob.

Mind you, I loved TMob -- their CS was outstanding. I never had trouble with them. I even was fine with their comparitively slow GSM net access (which only cost $5/mo.)

But there was no upgrade available that I wanted. Sprint's SERO plan sealed the deal.

Ironically I had been one of Sprint's earliest and least happy customers when they were just starting out here in DC (when their network extended to not much further than interstate 95 -- and only part of that.) Believe it or not, the original owner/ developer (before they sold it) was The Washington Post.

I HATED sprint !!!!

Everything about my experience with them was like being continually dunked in a vat of vomit.

I swore on my Imperial ancestry that I would NEVER go back to them again.

Despite all that I've had no complaints since September.

(I had thought about doin an iPhone -- almost went that way. But if I wanted to be dictated to by an arrogant snotty tyrant I'd have started my own phone company. I've never liked the way that Steve controls everything about his toys.

I mean what's with this insane pathetic fetish for one button mice ???@!!???)
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/19/2008 at 05:33 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    That's why the iPhone can never be my main phone. It's cool, but I can add stuff to all my other phones but that one. Unless I take the risk of Jailbreaking it.

I'd rather use Verizon if I was forced to use CDMA again, as much as they suck with the locking down and high prices! They never once messed up my bill and were not rude when I called CS. I almost cursed out a Sprint CS agent, she was so rude!! And that was before the complaints about them no longer speaking English started.

I understand many have to consider the cost of the other carriers, so they go with Sprint, but CS pissed me off enough to move to the more expensive carriers just to get some competent people! T-Mobile never once was rude on the line and AT&T at least had people who could answer my questions without getting an attitude. And no bill screw ups on the cellular end. Home phone is another story though(AT&T Home service is all about price goughing with hidden fees).

T-Mobile from a value standpoint and CS seems to probably beat out the others but due to their size here in the US will lose to Verizon, etc. Problem is that T-mobile due to barriers to entry are restricted in many markets.
    Last edited by jessep28; 01/19/2008 at 11:31 AM.
    I personally find their CS very nice but they can't always solve my problems. Sometimes, TreoCentral is the best place to find the solutions. Just came across a poll on engadget, 17.6% readers think the handset selection causing the pain. I wish they could be more specific, like what types/brands of phones Sprint should have given up.
    Actually, I'll agree with you on both points there

My personal experience with Sprint has been just fine and I have signed up 8 friends to Sprint in the last 2 months (granted, all Sero, but hey they are all new, lol)

I'm just going by polls and reader results that always puts Sprint at the bottom, which is a shame because their data and phone plans are the best, imo.

They do need some more flashy phones, but I think they are slowly moving in that direction: Centro is huge, the Touch was smart, Q q9c is nice, but yeah...a few more and something really amazing wouldn't hurt (no, the 800w won't be that device--it is still business-centric, not consumer like the iPhone).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Catch 22 though. Raise data prices and there's no more reason to stay with Sprint. If they do go higher, they can't go any higher than T-Mobile(the next cheapest) because if they do, I think more people will leave because the incentive is gone. Price is the only thing keeping people with them it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Catch 22 though. Raise data prices and there's no more reason to stay with Sprint. If they do go higher, they can't go any higher than T-Mobile(the next cheapest) because if they do, I think more people will leave because the incentive is gone. Price is the only thing keeping people with them it seems.
    Absolutely.

with the economy weakening and all the carrriers fighting for any subscriber, raising prices would be suicidal. I only came to Sprint because of the cheap SERO deal.

Ask yourselves what is their competitive advantage ?? Why do customers join or stay ??

From what I can tell its price alone.

Their CS has sucked historically -- even those of us who are satisfied now report how wretched they were. (Sprint will never have CS like T-Mobile's).

Its phone selection is at best mediocre. They lost a ton of business to ATT because they didn't have the iPhone.

Most folks regard Verizon as the more comprehensive and reliable network.

People seem to stay with sprint only because of prices -- and because their friends and families are on Sprint's network.

Strategically they made a huge blunder when they bought and merged with Nextel. Sprint absolutely mangled the conversion of Nextel's customers (to their network). Alienating those subscribers was a monumental and costly screw up. From what I know Nextel's custormers had been a pretty satified and profitable group before Sprint arrived (uninvited ??).

Most of Sextel's current troubles can be dated from that blunder.
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/20/2008 at 01:33 AM.
    I was a Nextel customer with 5 lines, then 4 and never was a happy customer, and never happy with their customer service. Calling them meant wading through a very deep menu system. Sprint though has been good for me for 6 years and never a complaint or a billing problem.

Benn
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I was a Nextel customer with 5 lines, then 4 and never was a happy customer, and never happy with their customer service. Calling them meant wading through a very deep menu system. Sprint though has been good for me for 6 years and never a complaint or a billing problem.

Benn
    I never used Nextel though I had a few clients who swore by them.

For a small business whose people would be out in the field at diverse locations, and needed them to be instantly and continuously reachable, it was a niche that no one else offered.

Even though their CS might have been as awful as you say, customers stayed because there was no alternative carrier offering that push to talk walkie-talkie stuff.

Even warehouses, garages, taxi services, construction companies etc used Nextel for internal communications.

I'm not sure where the state of things are at Sextel now -- but the transition period pissed off some folks who never would have left otherwise.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast