1.    #1  
    So we know "Nova" (or whatever the name of the next Palm OS) will be out in early 09. This leaves quite a bit of time for Palm to keep using good ol' Garnet. The Centro, which was released with Garnet, is doing quite well and is stable according to posts from previous Treo users who moved to the Centro.

This brings me to my question. If you were Palm, and you knew the Centro was going to be released with Garnet, how would you have changed Garnet? What would you add? What would you remove?

1. I would spice up the GUI a bit. No big changes, the setup works great, just some nice new icons, title bars with more color and more of a "candy" type look. This is a very easy cosmetic fix that could help the aging Garnet OS last another year.

2. Include the best 3rd party apps out of the box. I don't know about you, but my Treo is loaded with 3rd party software that makes it even better. I always get, "You can do that with your phone!!" comments. If these features were included and advertised, people would use them and love them.

3. Bribe Opera to make a native version for Palm OS. I know that this would be sort of a waste being that the OS will be retired soon, but Blazer is just a horrible browser. Not only would this have helped the Centro, it would have made a TON of current POS Treo users happy.

Discuss.
    Opera is horribler

Also, make everything in the UI transparent (user configurable), and shaded and high-res with more colours and don't forget transition effects like fade and dissolve. That's what makes a good OS.

Last edited by The_Resetter; 01/15/2008 at 10:50 PM.
    I agree!

A change in appearance was sorely needed. The OS even LOOKS as dated as it is.

But I thought they did include some apps on the Centro. If they went too far with apps, the price might go up.

I agree that Blazer is going the way of Palm OS, outdated. Opera would have been great.

To Resetter, it works well on all my phones although I never tried it on the Palm OS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I would not have one single developer on garnet... all of them would be working 24/7 on the new OS in an attempt to get it out early.

I definitely would have a "Skunk Works" section looking at Google's android. I would also be playing around with winmob 7.

After seeing g android, I'd say palm has a hard road.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    A few cosmetic changes would've been fine. Heck, you see it all the time. Or why would they be doing red & pink Centros? People get tired of staring at the same thing. Promoting some of its best 3rd party apps would be good too.

There's still an incredible amount of market share to be gained with a Centro if it was marketed well. It's still a very young market. If you've never used a smartphone, well then the OS can't be "tired looking" lol Of course us Treo guys & gals will think differently.
    I would have combined the 'Phone' screen and the standard application launcher into one combined screen. I can see people getting visibly confused when the first try to use my Treo as a phone. Having them separate is just adding an extra step to the usability process, which is a bad move when it comes to a device you use all day every day.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I would not have one single developer on garnet... all of them would be working 24/7 on the new OS in an attempt to get it out early.
    From what I understand this is what Palm is actually doing--the Foleo and Centro teams were both put on the Nova project. I'm sure a skeleton crew remains for ROM updates and such, but indeed, Palm is putting as much resources as it can into Nova.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I would have bought Ulitmate Phone and made it native.

As well as mOcean or something of a more capable multimedia handler for Palm OS.
    Even replacing the ugly ancient round icons with Apple rip off square icons is welcomed.
    I don't think you can continue to patch and upgrade this turd. It's way past it's shelf life and the result is the trouble Palm finds itself in. A complete re-write was due many years ago but rather than do the hard thing back when it could matter, Palm continued to limp along with Garnett. So the new OS is due "sometime" in '09, and we're all hoping to get by until then. And when the new OS is finally released, does anybody believe the first version will be without major bugs/flaws? If you do believe this, what version of the Palm OS that you've seen so far gives you this idea?
    I would come out with a app for the OS to work like a Iphone, kind of what HTC did with the Touch, and a HTC Touch looking device. I would give it new icons. I think they should do a few different form factors too. One with the slide out keyboard type, Moto A1200 type just to hold everyone over till 09.
    Just enhance the look of the apps, we know apps can look very nice as we seen from GX5. If you can't overhaul the OS, just overhaul the apps. Stop making us look at sharp objects that can proably make us bleed just by touching it >.< Also open up your SMS thing to developers so we can get a better looking SMS UI (mostly so GX5 can help complete the SMS experience in Ultimate Phone ^_^)
    New icon set and backgrounds would have had maximum impact for minimum effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I would come out with a app for the OS to work like a Iphone, kind of what HTC did with the Touch, and a HTC Touch looking device. I would give it new icons. I think they should do a few different form factors too. One with the slide out keyboard type, Moto A1200 type just to hold everyone over till 09.
    I think the OS idea would have been a freakin great idea in 2005 or early 2006.

Hardware, I don't know... although, a small "phone" mainly for texting might sell. I don't text that much, but the people who text a lot, normally, don't use the phone that much, except for texting. When they do text, the large screen takes up a lot of battery life... making a detachable device with a smaller screen in mono might provide additional battery life for those who text a lot. The main phone can be off... attach and it becomes a regular treo again.

No, I'm not drinking or doing drugs.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Even replacing the ugly ancient round icons with Apple rip off square icons is welcomed.
    I looked at the icons again. Then i looked at the ones on the iphone. Palm's looked fine to me..even better IMO.

<<<I don't think you can continue to patch and upgrade this turd. It's way past it's shelf life >>>

Um..yeah sure.

I think Palm has proven one thing. You can't rest and not provide twinks, cosmetic updates, real updates, whatever..no matter what. Even if it's still one of the best OS's out there, people are tired of looking at the same thing. They're wanting anything..anything different from the old..even if its just different icons..lol
    I think most people would rave about PalmOS if there was a GUI upgrade alone. I actually love PalmOS as it is (including the icons!) but Cardfan is right, people want their new technological device to look as futuristic as everyone else's.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)