Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Warning...this will be a long post.

After happily using a Treo 650 for over 3 years, I've given up and bought a Moto Q Global from AT&T. Before making that move, I've tried every new phone that Palm has offered in the 3 years since I bought the 650, and NONE of them was capable of doing what I needed.

I'm laying all this out for two reasons... One, I hope I can help someone out there who is dealing with the same issues as I was. And two, maybe someone from Palm will read this and figure out what they need to do.

Background...

First of all, I am tied to AT&T. I need a GSM compatible system for travel overseas.

I use my smartphone contantly, for web access, email, jotting down notes, and access to my calendar and contacts. I sync with an Exchange Server, and the 650 was ideal in that my 9000+ contacts would sync through my desktop computer using Chapura Pocketmirror, and the email and calendar would sync wirelessly through Exchange Activsync. For those of you who have never used Exchange in this way, this means that my assistant can put a new appointment in my calendar at the office, and within minutes it appears on my Treo wherever I am. If I enter a new appointment on the Treo, my offfice knows about it instantly. And using email this way means that everything I do, inbox, outbox, sent mail, is all completely and instantly mirrored on my desktop computer. I use Docs to Go to open attachments, and Acid Image Pro to open faxes. I've found utilities and programs to do just about anything I want to.

So what's the problem?

First off, I've been running up against the memory limits of the device. I'm constantly having to delete things in order to open large attachments. It's become a major annoyance.

Then there's the limitations of Versmail...no html email, some quirky behaviour like the fact that there is no BCC line available, or that forwarded messages are always packaged as attachments.

Then there's the Edge speeds. I'm tired of waiting for web pages to load.

Finally, the form factor. After 3 years, the 650 seems very clunky, and even though it's in pretty good shape, it is definitely showing its age.

So I began my hunt for a replacement.

First, I tried the 680. Nice form factor, increased memory. A few improvments in Versamail. Maybe a good solution. EXCEPT, the newer versions of Versamail require that if you use Exchange ActiveSync, that you MUST do so for contacts, as well as calendar and email. That would be fine EXCEPT, there is a bug in the contacts sync which mixes up the fields. There is one field that I use in virtually all my contacts (Company Main Number) that doesn't sync over to the Treo at all, even though there is a field on the Treo that is designated for it. To reinforce the fact that this is a bug, and NOT a purposeful feature, I tried syncing to my desktop without Exchange ActiveSync, and all the fields went exactly where they should have. So the 680 went back to the store.

Then I tried the 750. WM5 took some getting used to, but the Palm interface improvements made it easier. I did my first wireless sync, and it took 3 days (yes you read that right) to sync my contacts. When it was finally done, all the fields were in the right place, and all seemed to be well. Well, almost. After using it for two weeks, I found it to be very sluggish. It took forever to look up a contact name. I was also having problems with lockups and unprovoked re-boots. I also hated the resolution. I tried to shrug it off, but it just wasn't as sharp or as bright as what I was used to on the 650. Also, there was a bug that caused the SD card to lose contact with the device. One day, I picked up the old 650, and the moment I turned it back on, I knew the 750 was going back.

Since then, I've tested every new Palm device, and every firmware update to see if an update of Versamail had fixed the contacts fields bug. I set up a special test account on my exchange server that only had one contact in it so I could test out the devices without having to sync 9000 records. I spent a lot of time at the Palm Store, the AT&T store, the Sprint store etc, trying out every iteration, hoping that the bug had been fixed. I called Palm Support, and gave them the information about my test account. They duplicated the problem, acknowledged that it was a bug, and "kicked it to the development team." That was around 8 month ago. Since then I've tried the new 680 firmware, the 700p, the 755p and the Centro. No bug fix.

Yesterday I called Palm Support to see if there was an update on my bug report. I got someone on the phone who didn't speak English very well, and like many people I've spoken to at Palm Support, had no idea what I was talking about. She was able to pull up the notes from my original call, but clearly couldn't make head or tail out of them. When I asked to be put through to a manager, she said yes, put me on hold and I was promptly disconnected.

Based on recent reports of the timeline of new products from Palm, I decided to give up. I have no faith that the upcoming AT&T Centro will have fixed the contacts bug. The 800w might be a solution, but I can't wait until the 3rd Quarter for it to appear at AT&T. So I cracked and went for the Moto Q.

Impressions so far. First of all, it wirelessly synced all my contacts in around 12 hours, which is 1/6th the time it took on the 750. (By the way, it only takes a half hour to get them to the 650 over the wire.) Accessing a contact is around the same speed as on the 650, which is significantly better than the 750. Screen resolution is very nice, although I wish the screen were shaped more like the Treos. Battery life seems good, but I have to play with it some more. Generally I could go a day of heavy use on the 650 without charging. The Moto Q seems like it won't last that long, but it comes with a spare (larger) battery. Navigation is hard compared to the Treo, but I'm starting to get used to it. I'm finding hacks to get things more Treo-like. The keyboard and the call quality are truly great. It comes with the Opera browser, rather than IE Mobile...a big plus. It also comes with Docs to Go, which allows me to open native PDFs and believe it or not, it gives more capability to edit documents than Microsoft Office Mobile. It's 3G, so connections are very fast. All in all, I think it might be a keeper, but we'll see. Before I buy any accessories for it, I'll be trying it out a bit longer.

So for the moment, I've gone over to the dark side... but if the 800w is everything it could be, or the new Palm operating system doesn't abandon business users, I may still be back. I already miss my 650.
    On the resolution - as far as I know, all Windows Mobile devices go no higher than 320x240. All Palm OS Treos are 320x320. So, the Q resolution should be exactly the same as the 750. The display quality may differ, though.

Did you happen to try a 750 upgraded to Windows Mobile 6?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keleko View Post
    On the resolution - as far as I know, all Windows Mobile devices go no higher than 320x240. All Palm OS Treos are 320x320. So, the Q resolution should be exactly the same as the 750. The display quality may differ, though.

Did you happen to try a 750 upgraded to Windows Mobile 6?
    Actually, WM does all sorts of resolutions, especially in WM6, including VGA 640x480, 320x320, etc. There are very few VGA devices for unknown reasons (cost? too much battery power?).

A 750 is 240x240 and the Q series is 320x240, so the latter is higher resolution but landscaped as oppose to square on the Treos. The 800w will be one of the first 320x320 WM devices.

The Moto Q series is nice and the Q9 really improved on the aesthetics of the device, though like anything else it has its quirks too (dust under the screen).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by iradeut View Post
    First, I tried the 680. Nice form factor, increased memory. A few improvments in Versamail. Maybe a good solution. EXCEPT, the newer versions of Versamail require that if you use Exchange ActiveSync, that you MUST do so for contacts, as well as calendar and email.
    I think you missed the setting. I am using a 755p (so maybe it is something in a newer version of Versamail) with EAS on Exchange 2003. In the Preferences, under Auto Sync, you can choose whether to sync or not on Contacts, Calendar, and Mail. I use it for Cal and Mail, but I sync Contacts with my Mac (mostly because the contact sync with Exchange does not work all that well and I was losing contacts, so I just use Missing Sync with Address Book). You just have to uncheck Contacts, and all is well.

I just wanted to let you know that. Good luck with the Q, though. My wife is using a HTC 6800 with WinMo 6 Pro and it is a great phone. I'm just not a fan of it due to some of the "features" (programs not closing when you close the windows, you have to manually end the process).

Edit: I think I see where you are talking about. I do not have mine set to do it as items come in, but when it is set like that you have to sync all. That is kind of annoying, I only sync every 3 hours or manually as needed.
    Last edited by dangerboy13; 01/30/2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Change
    I switched to WM6 in late August of 07 and I cringe when I look at my pathetic little Treo 650. Good riddance to Palm's antiquated and lackluster (in both appearance and features) interface. There was a time when Windows CE/Mobile was horrendously slow and cumbersome but that's long in the past, at least from what my friends and I have experienced.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I think you missed the setting. I am using a 755p (so maybe it is something in a newer version of Versamail) with EAS on Exchange 2003. In the Preferences, under Auto Sync, you can choose whether to sync or not on Contacts, Calendar, and Mail. I use it for Cal and Mail, but I sync Contacts with my Mac
    Are you sure you are using EAS? This is straight from the Versamail manual for the 755p:

IMPORTANT If you set up VersaMail to work with Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, ActiveSync automatically pushes Calendar and Contacts information, or automatically synchronizes it, directly with the Exchange server, along with email messages. You cannot choose to synchronize Calendar and Contacts info with Palm Desktop software or Outlook once you set up VersaMail to work with a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account. If you do not want to download Calendar and Contacts directly from the server, do not set up VersaMail to work with a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account.
    9000 contacts is absolutely a long list

Treo 650 was proven powerful considering it is a more than 3 years old device
    I too jumped ship. UBiQUiO 503g. Nice device, powerful & really different from what I have been used to for the last ~7 years or so. Biggest thing I least like about PPC WM6, SLOW!!!! Multitasking is a great feature, but it has it's price. I am pretty upset with Handspring/Palm, I was lured away from Verizon years ago to Voicestream so I could use the Springboard phone on my Handspring Prism. The first color PDA phone, cutting edge at that time. Since then Unlocked Palm GSM is being treated like an ugly, wrinkled freckled pocadotted step, step child. The 680 is the best they can do? I have read that an unlocked Centro is on it's way, but really from what has been leaked about it, it only seems to be relatively minor difference to the 680. My 680 had been acting up & I needed to upgrade. I hope to come back to Palm some day, if the hardware can ever catch up with the PPC world.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Have you tried the "Centro-only" Versamail 4.01 that was released for the Centro? It should work with the 680...in theory, as it works fine on the 755p and 700p. Barring that, there's always the upcoming GSM Centro that will possibly have 4.01 pre-installed or at least available for official download.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Have you tried the "Centro-only" Versamail 4.01 that was released for the Centro? It should work with the 680...in theory, as it works fine on the 755p and 700p.
    I went to a Sprint store and did my test on a Centro, only to get the same results.
    I switched from a 680 to a 750. I love it. I may not be going back. I understand what u r saying. But don't understand thedevice selection. A Moto Q?! and I felt sorry for ya till you said you have 9000 contacts:O Good grief Charile Brown.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    A Moto Q?!
    Just to clarify...I got the new Moto Q Global, otherwise known as the Q9H...it's a huge improvement over the original Q, and has a lot of advantages over the 750 in screen resolution, speed (3G plus faster processor) more available memory, thinner profile etc. I miss having a touch screen, but that seems like a small tradeoff, all things considered.