Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    A lot comes down to marketing, pretty much everyone has heard of a Blackberry and when people see my Treo they say hey is that a Blackberry. When I say no it's a Palm Treo they give me a blank look as in the UK the Palm brand isn't very well known. They also associate mobile email with Blackberry and make the assumption that if they want mobile email then the only device which will do it is a Blackberry. So how popular a devices is has more to do with how well it's marketed then how good it is compared to rival products.
    It's all about marketing.
    I visited the Palm store in the Westfield/Bloomingdale shopping center in downtown San Francisco. The girl there confirmed to me that the store is closing at the end of the month. It's a shame.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    Employees were told not to tell customers. The retail job are contracted out but it is not a matter of the contract being up. The stores are closing the doors and leaving. I cannot reveal my source. But you will see soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    I just heard that they will relaunch a new retail program shortly. They will focus on airport stores only.
    Sounds like a bit more that product design philosophy getting lined up. A coherent vision does wonders for marketing niche products in niche areas. The stores were always disconnected from the user-base, even in those that held PUG mtgs. By closing the, Palm is hitting the reset button towards getting things to better look like Palm, rather than be a knock-off of those companies' efforts in retail.

Thanks for the tip-off treoneo. One has to expect that whatever is happening in terms of the new initiative will be a not-so-veiled look into where Palm now sees itself, and how it will position newer consumer/business devices.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  5.    #65  
    Engadget picked up the story!
    Confirmed by Palm directly:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1511-1.htm

"We continue to focus our company around core business initiatives and are consolidating more resources behind fewer programs in order to compete most effectively and build world-class, category-defining mobile solutions. We have therefore made the decision to close our retail stores."
    [...] It certainly appears from the above quote that all of the stores are slated for closure.
  7. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    This is a bummer, i really dug them.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I've never seen more than two customers in the Palm Store on 50th St. in NYC whenever I passed it. When I passed it today around noon, there was only one salesman there.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    As I previously posted, during the Christmas holidays, that store was PACKED with people! Don't know how many actually translated into sales, but with that great location, across from Radio City Music Hall, it's hard to imagine Palm giving it up. Of course, they could probably make lots of $$ by subleasing it. However, I spoke to the manager today, and he doesn't believe it's going to close. We will see.
  10.    #70  
    Whether he beleives it or not doesn't matter. It's a fact confirmed by palm directly. The manager was probably instructed to keep tight lipped about it.
    Also - confirmed that it is *all* stores.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Sales? Are the stores going to be having any clearance specials?

B
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
  13. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Sad, another sign that either Palm needs to downsize or they're in trouble.
    This was a good move. Palm having their own storefront is a horrible business move. They would get much better retail coverage by going after the office supply and tech stores. Let's face it, most of their sales will come from the cell providers and online anyway. What's the point of having a "Palm" store. Great move Palm!
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  14.    #74  
    The likelihood that palm will have any kind of sale is as likely as palm selling blackberries!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    This was a good move. Palm having their own storefront is a horrible business move. They would get much better retail coverage by going after the office supply and tech stores. Let's face it, most of their sales will come from the cell providers and online anyway. What's the point of having a "Palm" store. Great move Palm!
    I really loved it when Palm had the fancy booths in CompUSA. Sadly, I don't think that CompUSA (after the buyout) will have a presence in brick and mortar stores anymore.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    From BGR:

In light of the recent proposed settlement of a class-action suit, Palm has announced that it will be pulling the plug on 34 retail locations in the US. Eight Palm-branded stores and 26 airport kiosks will be closed down as Palm prepares to begin issuing pay-outs. The class-action suit filed in 2005 was just settled at no small cost the the mobile manufacturer, and the final hearing is scheduled for May 2 of this year. In accordance with the proposed settlement, Palm will be required to issue a $75 reimbursement to Treo 600 owners who purchased a new smartphone between September 30, 2005 and six months after the pending settlement is finalized. In addition, those who purchased a Treo 650 will be eligible for a $50 rebate on any new Palm smartphone purchased within six months of settlement finalization. The class-action suit was filed as a result of defective handsets and any customer who had a US-purchased handset requiring two or more repairs or replacements is eligible for compensation. Note that if you intend to make a claim as a result of the class-action settlement, your submission to Palm must be post marked no later than July 28th, 2008. Also, free out-of-warranty repairs will only be covered up to 120 days from the settlement finalization. Go here for further details on eligibility and instructions on how to file a claim once the settlement goes into effect.
  17.    #77  
    Umm where you been dude?? I leaked that story weeks ago! As far as the stores closing at least...
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I really loved it when Palm had the fancy booths in CompUSA. Sadly, I don't think that CompUSA (after the buyout) will have a presence in brick and mortar stores anymore.
    isn't CompUSA bankrupt and liquidating ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  20.    #80  
    Compusa has closed most if not all of their retail stores
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast