Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 94
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    (Anyone know why Radio Shack is called that?)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_shack

    They chose the name, "Radio Shack", which was a term for the small, wooden structure that housed a ship's radio equipment. The Deutschmanns thought the name was appropriate for a store that would supply the needs of radio officers aboard ships, as well as "ham" radio operators.
    Also, when I was growing up the holy grail for ham radio guys was a separate outbuilding for their equipment - their "radio shack."
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_shack



    Also, when I was growing up the holy grail for ham radio guys was a separate outbuilding for their equipment - their "radio shack."
    I was being facetious but the Wikipedia article was interesting and enlightening.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  3. #43  
    To be honest with you, I would feel a lot worse at this news if I didn't also own and use other non-Palm phones.

    I still would recommand Centro to my friends though.
  4. #44  
    My main devices are now HTC, but I still hate to see Palm bomb out again.

    They were my first PDA line and believe it or not but I still have the 2 Palm PDAs I bought plus the 650 and the 750 still lying around, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #45  
    hey phone diva. i plan to get your gadget next. i suppose it is recommendable.

    PALM ARE YOU HEARING: i am feeling compelled to buy my first non-palm device since 1997 because after the 650 nothing decent has come out and you haven't informed us of anything to wait for. i feel sorry and sad, but i dont have a choice
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    hey phone diva. i plan to get your gadget next. i suppose it is recommendable.

    PALM ARE YOU HEARING: i am feeling compelled to buy my first non-palm device since 1997 because after the 650 nothing decent has come out and you haven't informed us of anything to wait for. i feel sorry and sad, but i dont have a choice
    If you buy, dont buy the Hermes, buy the Tilt. 128MB RAM FTW.

    Surur
  7.    #47  
    Forget palm. I have had a blackbery for 30 days now and love it!
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I've only been to one Palm Store and that was in Washington DC's Union Station last summer. If I'm not mistaken, they only sold everything at retail price, not the price you can get anywhere with a contract, and more expensive than you would pay on ebay. So it seems it would be a bad idea for anyone to buy a smartphone there. They had all the accessories, but again, ebay and treocentral are much cheaper. If you have one, you know better and if you don't, you see the advertisements for the price with service.
    I've gone there too when I pass by it while visiting with clients in the viscinity.

    I see it as a showcase store -- a storefront where you could come to finger their products, not so much as a place to purchase at retail.

    Its the same dilema that many tech companies have attempted to wrestle with -- but only Apple has mastered.

    Gateway, Dell, Samsung, Palm, and Sony have all tried and failed to build a retail presence for consumer exposure.

    Almost every "expert" expected that Steve Jobs would tank too.

    He just seems to have more ambition creativity and arrogance to go along with his hubris, than anyone else.

    (perhaps I'm just a sucker for lost causes but I still like my 755P -- and Gore still beat junior... )
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/18/2008 at 03:52 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  9. mikecc's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    Wrong. It's very easy to find, it's frequently got lots of people in there, and the staff is very knowledgeable. If you can't find 50th St & 6th Avenue in NYC, you've got a problem.
    I don't know when you visited the store. The last time I went it was in late Saturday afternoon (July) after I visited the Apple store on 5th Ave, there were 2 staffs and 1 customer talking on her phone. Comparing the size and display of the Apple store with Palm's....I am speechless!
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
  10. #50  
    I've been there many times. There have been times when there weren't that many customers, but often there has been a good deal more than that. That location, especially during the holidays, is phenomenal for visibility. I imagine they signed a very valuable lease.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    Forget palm. I have had a blackbery for 30 days now and love it!
    Here's the thing, if you bought a Palm Treo in the past and are now "loving" a BlackBerry, this is all that it means:
    You bought the wrong phone in the first place and overestimated your needs.

    Treo's, Centro's and WM devices are good for running programs like Netter's Anatomy or the Skyscape family of software, or maybe you want the best version of Exchange support (WM)--that is, we buy them for a specific purpose, for a feature or our jobs, not to goof off on. Nor are they just "phones with email".

    So if you're happy with a BB, it just means you never needed the power/versatility of a true PDA type device. No problem there, that's why BB's exist and they are very good at what they do.

    But don't pretend that somehow a BB and Treo or even a $99 Centro are somehow equivalent, a device where many of us could easily swap and not notice a difference in features or purpose.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. #52  
    Blackberry CAN compete with Palm if you don't need 100 software titles. If your main use is getting work done, yes it does pretty well competing.

    I love WM but also appreciate Blackberry. I tried it and liked it, but wanted the more robust WM in the end. The newer Blackberry OS DOES make it a decent PDA device. It just isn't for tweakers like WM and Palm OS are. It's for those who need to just turn on a phone, get their calls, emails and texts. It does need a better calender but that might be covered in 3rd party software. And there is some decent stuff available, looking on Handango.

    BTW your link says Skyscape works on Blackberry in the flash banner header. Lots of stuff now works on the newer Blackberry OS.

    RIM did something Palm did not(until maybe the Centro), whether we like it or not, got the mainstream interested in using a smartphone. People still whip out Pearls around here way more than Treos, although I have seen more of those recently.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. #53  
    Almost everyone I know has given up his Treo for either a Blackberry or an iPhone. Those two are all I see now.

    About a month ago my buddy whipped out his Treo (700p, one of the last holdouts) to get the contact info from somebody who was leaving work for another job. He was dismayed to find the Treo was frozen, no incoming calls, texts, or emails, for an unspecified amount of time. He freaked. The very next day he had a Blackberry Pearl. Just this week I noticed the Pearl was gone and he was sporting the iPhone.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]Blackberry CAN compete with Palm if you don't need 100 software titles.
    How is this any different from my post/point? You just said the same thing: if you don't need "100 software titles"...

    So how is my post "unfair" when you say the same thing? If you don't need to do specific tasks or run specific programs then a BB is fine and had you bought a Treo, it simply meant you over-shot on your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

    RIM did something Palm did not(until maybe the Centro), whether we like it or not, got the mainstream interested in using a smartphone. People still whip out Pearls around here way more than Treos, although I have seen more of those recently.
    RIM got "mainstream interested in using a smartphone"? I thought the iPhone did that. How many regular Joes are using BB with a BES plan? What feature makes BB attractive to some 20 year-old college kid or 40 year old mom? RIM is still enterprise and not at all mainstream--they are trying to make their devices more appealing by adding media features and a camera to compete with WM and Palm devices.

    Treos and WM devices have and will be more mainstream than BB for quite some time.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  15. #55  
    You gave him a thumbs down and the title of your post says Treo ≠ BB. And you just about blew off the Blackberry as weak. "it just means you never needed the power/versatility of a true PDA type device." "But don't pretend that somehow a BB and Treo or even a $99 Centro are somehow equivalent".

    I mean it's unfair for you to downgrade Blackberry as that weak, just because they don't have tons of software yet.
    1. They do have software and applications for the increasingly popular new BB models. I looked and they're there. Sure some specific apps may not be compatible with Blackberry yet, but that's changing because now there's actually a reason to develop for all the new users.

    2. WTF does anyone need 100 software titles on a phone anyway? I never understood that. What it really means is the OS actually failed to include features or the manufacturer screwed up a part of the hardware, much of the time. Most of the software I have is to fix shortcomings on both WM and Palm OS phones. I have to get that software loaded on every device first before I can even add anything else! HOWEVER, on the Blackberry I didn't have to buy anything to get it to function properly first. And Blackberry releases OS fixes if anything does show up, faster than the other 2. So I have to spend more money just to get WM and Palm OS working properly but not for Blackberry. Any OS that functions properly out of the box is excellent IMO.


    And I'm sorry, but RIM is mainstream around here. Around here I have seen more Pearls than iPhones. I'm beginning to see more iPhones, but the Pearl is still very popular here. I even saw a 13 or 14 yr. old and his dad using Pearls in the summer on the way to the ballgame. That doesn't sound like mainstream to you? Did you go look on BB forums? Kids have these things now!! A 15 yr. old needed some help setting hers up.

    Treos are NOT mainstream or popular around here. People I know who use smartphones do not mention Treo as their next smartphone. And don't even use them to begin with. The last 2 people I talked to who had Treos, one will never get another and left for Blackberry and the other said he was having problems.

    Now it's certainly possible that in your location, people are different.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16.    #56  
    Most of the software for palm is useless anyway! I choose quality over quantity. The BB developer community.is growing and at the rate palm is going I'm sure will pass up the palm os developer community quickly. Palm is headed south quickly.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You gave him a thumbs down and the title of your post says Treo ≠ BB. And you just about blew off the Blackberry as weak. "it just means you never needed the power/versatility of a true PDA type device." "But don't pretend that somehow a BB and Treo or even a $99 Centro are somehow equivalent".

    I mean it's unfair for you to downgrade Blackberry as that weak, just because they don't have tons of software yet.
    Just answer this: can the BB do as much as a WM or POS device? Yes or no.
    And yes, it is very fair to say that BB is "weak" (your words, not mine) compared to WM or POS because the software is not ready...yet. I don't live in the future, I live here and now and talking about what software or function might come down the pike does not help me or anyone today.

    Does BB have potential to be more? Sure that is true, but that was never my argument--that's yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    2. WTF does anyone need 100 software titles on a phone anyway? I never understood that. What it really means is the OS actually failed to include features or the manufacturer screwed up a part of the hardware, much of the time. Most of the software I have is to fix shortcomings on both WM and Palm OS phones. I have to get that software loaded on every device first before I can even add anything else! HOWEVER, on the Blackberry I didn't have to buy anything to get it to function properly first. And Blackberry releases OS fixes if anything does show up, faster than the other 2. So I have to spend more money just to get WM and Palm OS working properly but not for Blackberry. Any OS that functions properly out of the box is excellent IMO.
    Err, you brought up the 100 number, not me--but now your asking me to defend your proposition. Interesting line of argument.

    The fact is, what I need my device for is sort of my business, not yours, nor should I have to defend what I use my device for function wise. But, fyi, a lot of my software is medical, psychological, academic based along with your standard multimedia features.

    You're also diverting the "need specific software for job or profession" line of thought in my original post to assuming/implying/switching to software needed to enhance or fix the OS. I never said that is what makes WM or POS a more robust device.

    Plus I prefer a touch screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And I'm sorry, but RIM is mainstream around here. Around here I have seen more Pearls than iPhones. .....

    Now it's certainly possible that in your location, people are different.[/color]
    ........

    I'm not getting into a "how many I've seen" or a "15 year old posted on a site" debate.

    Why is this controversial? I didn't say BB's were terrible devices. Quite the contrary I said they are "very good what they do", which is primarily email and phone for corporate clients. How is any of that wrong?

    Not everyone needs a PDA-type device. Not everyone needs a large, expansive software collection. Not everyone needs a touchscreen or simple push email without a 3rd party intervention. That's perfectly fine and that's why BlackBerries exist. Yay for the free market.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    Most of the software for palm is useless anyway!
    Thank you for proving my point

    You never needed a full PDA device but rather just a phone that can do email and run a few apps.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18. #58  
    I recently got 2 BB devices (one with WiFi and one with GPS) and was using the Curve 8820 in few trips to overseas together with my Treo 750.

    Here is my experience.

    1. I did not receive any emails from my BB for one whole day (one afternoon and the next whole morning). I called the telco and tried a few methods, like turned off the wireless, took out the battery but still could not fix it. It was recovered itself afterward. Service provider was still not able to explain the reason. Our company netadmin confirmed the BB server was working fine. BUT I was able to receive the email from my Treo. It is using the same service provider as my BB.

    2. The telco has the call back feature when I called home in overseas. It was sending a string "*131*country code+phone number+#" then the phone will ring. I was not able to figure out how to make this kind of call by using BB.

    3. I receive around 200 network related emails to inform me the status of some network jobs, such as backup status etc. The BB can only show half of the subject, as a result, I need to open all the messages in order to read the status.

    4. I need to press 4 buttons to delete one message in BB, which is Menu then "D" then "Enter" then "Enter" again. For my WM6 Treo I only need "Delete" and "OK".

    5. If I want to delete multiple messages not continuously, I can't do it in BB. I can only select emails in one block then delete it. If in-between, I have another email, such as the sent mail (very common as inbox and sent items are in one place) or other email , I have to do it 2 times.

    6. Sometimes, when I delete emails from Outlook immediately after receiving it. The message is still keeping in BB but not WM Treo. "Reconcile Now" does not help.

    7. All emails, Inbox and Sent Items are in one place. It is very diffcult to read as most of the time I only read inbox and delete the useless messages.

    8. In term of the mail format, I need to read very carefully in order to know who are the reciptents. The mail format in WM is more easy to read because of different background color.

    9. Since a lot of software are available in WM but not in BB. If I need to use it, I need to carry two devices.

    10. For editing a message, if I make any mistakes, it is a pain to do the editing in BB. When I move the scroll ball to fast, it misses it and need to redo again. Typo is very common in a small device. I think this is very important. (Maybe I am not familiar with the scroll ball...)

    I am not saying BB is bad. At least the form factor and the battery life are excellent. Besides, some other PDA features, such as Calendar and Task. BB is not as good as POS and WM. I really hope that a WM device with the same form factor and battery life as BB with a touch screen.

    Disclaimer: Everyone has their own preference. This is only my own experience. It does not mean whether BB is bad or WM is good.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Just answer this: can the BB do as much as a WM or POS device? Yes or no. No, obviously not as much as WM. I don't remember much of what Palm OS did, to tell you the truth. I haven't used my 650 in so long, it's collecting dust.
    But I still don't view BB as weak, due to the fact that it's constantly updated and just plain works out of the box.
    And yes, it is very fair to say that BB is "weak" (your words, not mine) compared to WM or POS because the software is not ready...yet. I don't live in the future, I live here and now and talking about what software or function might come down the pike does not help me or anyone today. But I'm also saying that there actually IS a lot of software ready NOW. The void is being filled. I just looked on Handango for the Medical section, they have 330 titles ready for the Curve and 345 ready for the 8525. Not a huge difference.

    Err, you brought up the 100 number, not me--but now your asking me to defend your proposition. Interesting line of argument. I just threw out 100, because some people have said they have that many titles on Palm OS and that that's the reason they prefer Palm OS. Because there are so many titles available. It wasn't exactly directed at you. It's just that the software argument sometimes gets out of hand, IMO.

    The fact is, what I need my device for is sort of my business, not yours, nor should I have to defend what I use my device for function wise. But, fyi, a lot of my software is medical, psychological, academic based along with your standard multimedia features. I never asked you to defend what you use your device for. I was only saying that I thought it was unfair to write off BB so much.

    You're also diverting the "need specific software for job or profession" line of thought in my original post to assuming/implying/switching to software needed to enhance or fix the OS. I never said that is what makes WM or POS a more robust device. It wasn't meant to divert from your needing specific software. It was used to show why BB isn't so weak, IMO. It just works right out of the box.


    ........

    I'm not getting into a "how many I've seen" or a "15 year old posted on a site" debate. You said Treos and WM are more mainstream than RIM. I was only saying not around here, concerning Treos.

    Why is this controversial? I didn't say BB's were terrible devices. Quite the contrary I said they are "very good what they do", which is primarily email and phone for corporate clients. How is any of that wrong? I was only saying why I thought your post was unfair to BB. Not that you were "wrong", just "unfair". That's only MY opinion anyway. I thought the BB experience was almost trouble free.

    Not everyone needs a PDA-type device. Not everyone needs a large, expansive software collection. Not everyone needs a touchscreen or simple push email without a 3rd party intervention. That's perfectly fine and that's why BlackBerries exist. Yay for the free market.

    Thank you for proving my point

    You never needed a full PDA device but rather just a phone that can do email and run a few apps. Technically that's mostly what I need too, but I still prefer WM. I like it's available apps better.
    My thoughts above in red.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    Most of the software for palm is useless anyway! I choose quality over quantity. The BB developer community.is growing and at the rate palm is going I'm sure will pass up the palm os developer community quickly. Palm is headed south quickly.
    I have had my BB 8830 for 7 months and no pocket quicken and the Bible Programs are harder to use.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions