Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im curious what you guys are looking for from the next OS's screen interface. Are you looking for the next screen to be touch screen or not?

Do you want it to "flick" like the touch and the iPhone? Do you want a trackball?

Im looking for a trackball and touchscreen that flicks as well as allows the trackball to go from item to item.

Thoughts?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    My daughter's iPhone screen is very appealing in size and rotation. I will always want a touch screen.

My perfect PDA, at the moment, would be the iPhone body and screen (w/iTunes, Movies and a removable battery) with GPS, the Palm/Linux future OS and all my favorite Palm PIMs and 3rd party apps.

A clicking track ball is a very interesting thought.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/13/2008 at 05:31 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I forgot that the iPhone and Im assuming (not for sure) that the Touch both have a gyroscope for screen orientation. That would be sweet.

The clicking trackball comes from the newer BlackBerrys.

One thing that I miss from my Kyocera 6035 was a jog dial on the side. That it moved up and down with the ability to push it in as well for enter. I always thought it would be nice to add the ability to push it from side to side (sorta leverage it if you will) for left right movements. That truely added to the 1 handed operation Palm especially (sp?) the Treo's are known for.
    There is no spoon.
  4.    #4  
    Oh and ANY button wheather its a trackball or just an enter button in the middle of the 5 way MUST start coming in rubber! I HATE how my thumb slides off of it.
    There is no spoon.
    Anything is better than a trackball, in my experience even the Sony side way rocker is better than the track ball. You can't control it when you are driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    My daughter's iPhone screen is very appealing in size and rotation. I will always want a touch screen.

My perfect PDA, at the moment, would be the iPhone body and screen (w/iTunes, Movies and a removable battery) with GPS, the Palm/Linux future OS and all my favorite Palm PIMs and 3rd party apps.

I have all but given up on POS. However, the screen is less important to me than 3G GSM.

I would be very happy with my Treo if it had a decent browser and 3G GSM.

I would be very happy with my iPhone if it were 3G, supported e-books, and cut and paste. An SD(HC) card would be nice to have. I have replaced most of my POS apps with web apps. Google is not DA but it is good enough. "One Trip Shopping List" is not Splash-Shopper but I can learn to live with it.

The question for me is "who will deliver first." I expect all of these things from Apple, plus 3rd party Apps, long before (perhaps one or more this week) I see a POS GSM 3G phone from Palm, i.e., "16 months" to two years.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    One of the main reasons I haven't been able to enjoy using a BlackBerry is my love for touch screens. I've tried, and I'm just too spoiled by years of being able to touch wherever I need with whatever I want (fingernails make very handy pointers when you're too lazy to get your stylus out).
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Anything is better than a trackball, in my experience even the Sony side way rocker is better than the track ball. You can't control it when you are driving.
    Errrr, why the hell would you be farting around with your phone when you're driving anyway ? I wish that they'd make mobile phone use illegal in ALL states in the US when driving, unless you have a hands free unit and/or BT. I get fed up with people driving with their ears glues to the phone, head tilted and not really taking much note of what is going on around them.

Ok, rant over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post

Perry, just noticed your requirement for removable battery. I am very pleased with battery life on my iPhone. I do occasionally change batteries on my Treo but do not miss the ability to do it on iPhone. I doubt if Apple is hearing a cry for removable battery.

Of course, I expect battery life to get bad when the iPhone gets old but I expect to have traded up before that happens.
    HVGA OLED about 15% larger than the iPhone. That being said, I sure wish Palm had been the ones listening to us begging for the iPhone / Touch hardware specs for the past 5 years. They didn't and apparently still don't care.
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    If the 800w specs are to be believed, or at least the images we've seen, Palm is keeping the square-ish format for the screen. Is anyone else tired of a square screen?

Sure I appreciate the high-res, but I watch alot of movies on the phone, and when the square screen forces them to be only half the size of the screen like on my Treo 650, it's no fun.

I for one would love a landscape screen - even the 2.8 incher on the HTC's in landscape mode would be a huge step-up for watching widescreen formatted movies...

/sml_blok
    Quote Originally Posted by sml_blok View Post
    If the 800w specs are to be believed, or at least the images we've seen, Palm is keeping the square-ish format for the screen. Is anyone else tired of a square screen?

Sure I appreciate the high-res, but I watch alot of movies on the phone, and when the square screen forces them to be only half the size of the screen like on my Treo 650, it's no fun.

I for one would love a landscape screen - even the 2.8 incher on the HTC's in landscape mode would be a huge step-up for watching widescreen formatted movies...

/sml_blok
    You will love the iPhone. It may take a while but the decision will become increasingly obvious. The torch of leadership has passed.
    whm,

No doubt the hardware, OS, and foundation of the iPhone blows Palm's devices out of the water. Multimedia especially.

That being said, for those who use a Treo as mission critical business devices would have a hard time dealing with the iPhone's extreme limitations. Therefore, I wait.

If Apple looses the 3rd party devs and makes comparible PIM functionality, I'll jump ship in a hurry.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    whm,

No doubt the hardware, OS, and foundation of the iPhone blows Palm's devices out of the water. Multimedia especially.

That being said, for those who use a Treo as mission critical business devices would have a hard time dealing with the iPhone's extreme limitations. Therefore, I wait.

If Apple looses the 3rd party devs and makes comparible PIM functionality, I'll jump ship in a hurry.
    Ah, but of course that is the point. One must wait. However, if one must wait, upon whom does one prefer to wait? Palm? Or Apple? Seems to me that if Palm does all one dare hope and Apple does half of what it has promised, one "jumps" fast and high.

Steve gets it. He is not blaming anyone. Ed is still blaming his customer.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/16/2008 at 07:12 AM.
    320x480. I hear multitouch is hot stuff, but mostly I'd like some more screen real estate. Really neat would be 320x480 with a Graffiti area below it instead of a keyboard. I miss Graffiti1 (G2 was blech).
    USR Pilot 5000->3Com PalmPilot Pro->Palm IIIx->Palm 515->Palm TT3->Treo 700p->HTC Touch Pro->Palm Pre->HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    maybe that's the question... is it not possible to have the treo keyboard AND a landscape screen(ie: taller than it is wide, so you can rotate the device to view in widescreen)?

as i look down at my sad excuse for a treo 650, the real estate seems to exist...
  17.    #17  
    maybe that's the question... is it not possible to have the treo keyboard AND a landscape screen(ie: taller than it is wide, so you can rotate the device to view in widescreen)?

as i look down at my sad excuse for a treo 650, the real estate seems to exist...
    That why the idea of a slider (verticle NOT horizontal like the PPC 6800 barf) interestes me. Slide the screen up just enough to expose a Treo keyboard and voila one has the best of both worlds. IMHO of course.
    There is no spoon.

When one uses a Treo, the keyboard trumps the screen. When one uses an iPhone, the UI, including the screen, wins. In a decade there will be few keyboards and few left who know how to use one. Hand a four year old an iPhone and she gets it. Give her a Treo and.........
  19.    #19  
    Like this one in this link: http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...3&d=1186109237

From this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=148854

The screen that is. Im assuming the screen slides to reveal the keyboard. Im also assuming the "slider" portion includes the 5 way nav and hot-keys so they are always exposed.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Like this one in this link: http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...3&d=1186109237

From this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=148854

The screen that is. Im assuming the screen slides to reveal the keyboard. Im also assuming the "slider" portion includes the 5 way nav and hot-keys so they are always exposed.
    I always liked that mock-up. typical slider problem is the depth of the keys, which must be flat enough to fit under the screen - but one of the major benefits of the treo keyboard is the depth/shape of the buttons, which makes it easier to type. A design like the mockup would have to be carefully thought out so as not to ruin the great keyboard, but that would be my ideal form factor for sure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast