Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Screen :

The roll out screen - you know, the one we alldreamed that the Foleo would be, when we thought it was a phone. The flat, rollerable screen that can open up nice and big. It was demoed over 2 years ago. Recently, a company signed on to make a UMPC (sp?) with it ...

busy at work ro i would find the links .... that is what i want on my next phone. it might be worth giving up a touch screen.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    re: the clickable trackball.

trust me, you don't want it. unless they made it easier to remove and clean. i already had to do this with my old pearl and i cracked the casing. it still sits alright, but that was just annoying, i could have broken it even worse and been SOL until i could get a part replacement.

i personally use a trackball mouse on my desktops and i love them, but i can also clean them. man i sound like i am a filthy person.
    and we all know how important marketing to the 4yr old demographic is...:shake

I have not met one person yet with an iphone that can write messages and emails quicker than I can on a Treo. You make it sound like the Treo is the only thumboard phone out there. Blackberry, Blackjack, Q... I highly doubt the future is in full screened phones. So no, it does not win. I think a combination of the the iphone type screen and a thumboard would be the ultimate combination for someone that enters any fair amount of text. Just because it has a nice UI, doesn't mean it's the most user friendly especially for the texting/email market.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    When one uses a Treo, the keyboard trumps the screen. When one uses an iPhone, the UI, including the screen, wins. In a decade there will be few keyboards and few left who know how to use one. Hand a four year old an iPhone and she gets it. Give her a Treo and.........
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    and we all know how important marketing to the 4yr old demographic is...:shake

I have not met one person yet with an iphone that can write messages and emails quicker than I can on a Treo. You make it sound like the Treo is the only thumboard phone out there. Blackberry, Blackjack, Q... I highly doubt the future is in full screened phones. So no, it does not win. I think a combination of the the iphone type screen and a thumboard would be the ultimate combination for someone that enters any fair amount of text. Just because it has a nice UI, doesn't mean it's the most user friendly especially for the texting/email market.
    Perhaps I over-state my case a little. But not much. I exaggerate to make a point. While I understand your affinity for and loyalty to the key-board, I would point out to you that it is only a little over a hundred years old.

I remember the Star Trek movie, the one about the whales, where Scottie gives up on talking to the mouse and resorts to the key-board. Do you really believe that a 24th century engineer will know how to use a key-board? I really do know how to multiply and divide using a slide-rule. I even have one. I never use it. You may know how to use one but your generation does not. Back when I did use it, I could not even imagine a Treo. When I started using my Treo, Apple imagined the iPhone UI.

Remember Grafitti? There are still a few people who still use hand-writing recognition on their Treos. From time to time I even resort to writing notes on paper; I resist it because I know that I will have to transcribe them into the computer. Take a look at
    http://ct.news.com/clicks?t=42056476...brand=NEWS&s=5
    It sounded pretty good until I got to the part about "dot paper."

There is little that is sacred about text or even written language. Text is at best a code for spoken languages. I received an e-mail this am. It was an automatic transcription to e-mail of a voice-mail that someone left for me last evening. Would I rather have a key-board or an iPhone that converted my speech to text? How many people do you know who can enter text on a Treo as fast as they can talk?

Notice that the four year-old has mastered the spoken language. Do you really believe that when that four year-old is your age that her personal computer will not routinely convert spoken language to any code that she chooses? I believe that it will have a screen, a microphone, speakers, audio and video in and out but I do not believe that it will have a keyboard.

I believe that Apple can make a better iPhone faster Palm can make a better Treo. I think that Apple can make a business and a future on their UI better than Palm can make one on the keyboard.

Before I die expect that I will have my PDA in my tooth. It will both talk and listen. It will use the digital display and stero phones built into my glasses. It will happily convert my speech to text but it will not have a key-board. Your grandchildren or their children will ingest their computer in their Pablum.

Imagine, friend, imaginel
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/28/2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    24th century. when a 4yr old is my age? what the heck do I care what is and isn't 30 or 200 years from now. you're really grasping at this point. I loved graffiti, but I'm so much faster on a thumb board, and I could often beat people on graffiti with them on a thumb board. Spot on voice recognition for texting and emails is a long long way off on a basic phone. Plus you can't always speak a message or email, it's just not always convenient. Tactile physical keys will trump screened keys for typing I don't care how intuitive you try to make it.

So in speculation of the next couple generations of phones, I don't understand why you would want to imagine what my grandkids or great grandkids are going to use.

And I don't believe Apple can do anything. I believe the Asian company they subcontract can design something quicker than Palm can. And I don't believe that Apple can make a pure business tool out of the iphone quicker than Palm can as long as they keep the stranglehold on it. I think ALP and Google will do more with their OS than Apple will with theirs strictly because of third party support. Third party support progresses an OS quicker than a solo company ever will.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  6.    #26  
    You filthy animal!!! Just kidding. I guess I never gave it much thought about taking it out and cleaning it. Interesting problem that poses. Functionality however I dont think it can be beat. Of course IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by komashu View Post
    re: the clickable trackball.

trust me, you don't want it. unless they made it easier to remove and clean. i already had to do this with my old pearl and i cracked the casing. it still sits alright, but that was just annoying, i could have broken it even worse and been SOL until i could get a part replacement.

i personally use a trackball mouse on my desktops and i love them, but i can also clean them. man i sound like i am a filthy person.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I do not think you can have the iphone's multi touch technology in a treo

I think apple has a patent on it and only they know how to make it work.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12