Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Apple will do well but be limited here in the U.S. so long as it is on just one carrier. It will also have little effect on RIM or WM since those OSs focus on enterprise, which iPhone is nowhere close to touching. Likewise, MS/WM is not attempting to compete with Apple on the "entertainment" phone end (i.e. no evidence for a Zune phone).

Basically, there is a potential market for everyone.
    iPhone is number 2 in sales, one phone in five, 20K units per day, according to Jobs at today's Mac World. Dwarfs Palm, including Centro. Big update today. SDK still scheduled for next month.

Of course, this is mostly US.

When can we expect the SDK for Novo?
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    iPhone is number 2 in sales, one phone in five, 20K units per day, according to Jobs at today's Mac World. Dwarfs Palm, including Centro. Big update today. SDK still scheduled for next month.

Of course, this is mostly US.
    Those numbers are interesting, I suppose, though like all PRPRPR &$quot$;$spin$&$quot$; $I$'$d$ $like$ $to$ $see$ $how$ $they$ $divvy$ $up$ $what$ $they$ $are$ $considering$ &$quot$;$phones$&$quot$;--$I$ $mean$ $are$ $they$ $shipping$ ($making$?) $20k$ $a$ $day$ $or$ $are$ $people$ $buying$ $20k$ $a$ $day$--$the$ $latter$ $seems$ $odd$. $Does$ $any$ $carrier$ $really$ $sign$ $up$ $20K$ $a$ $day$? $I$ $dunno$.

Likewise, Apple's numbers don't make Centro's sales any less significant--fact is, it sells well and that is good news for a company. Most devices do not need to be #1 or #2 to be successful.

I'd also point out: this isn't about "being number 1". The notion that Palm would be able to compete against Apple, Micorsoft and even Google (who all have separate businesses) once they are all entered the market is a bit silly, imo. The smartphone market will be expanding a lot in the next 5 years and there is plenty of room for development (I for one, do not want any company monopolizing the market and we should all abhor such a direction).

It's like the car industry: just about everyone outsells Ferrari'*s and other niche markets, yet that doesn't mean Ferrari is a doomed company and there is no room for them in the market, quite the contrary. (side note: I guess I just find it odd how people root basically for a monopoly and only care about #1, yet have disdain when there is no choice on the market.)
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    When can we expect the SDK for Nova?
    Fall 2008, give or take...(link)
    According to Stephane Maes, VP Smartphone Product Marketing, Palm expects to finish work on this operating system late in 2008, and around that same time will begin distributing the tools developers need to create applications, or check compatibility of their current ones, for this new operating system. Naturally, those who are writing the software that will be bundled with the first model will get access to the SDKs well before the general public.

* Not necessarily saying Palm = Ferrari either, but my analogy is still the same
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/15/2008 at 07:34 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12