Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I've been on Palm since the mid 90's and still love the OS. Sure, it's long in the tooth (to say the least), but the beauty of it is that it's so tweakable. With a couple of apps I can completely transform the way the OS looks, and it still runs more programs than the supposed Jesus-of-cellphones (iphone).

I am really looking forward to both the next-gen Palm os as well as Android. I think we are in for some revolutionary devices in the next year or two. Hopefully Palm will be a strong consideration for me, or worst case I get style-tap to run my beloved Palm apps on some other phone and get the best of both worlds.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    I too am looking forward to the next incarnation.

I am just a user...not a power user and find that the 680 has been pretty good to me. It does reboot now and again, which pisses me off, but not enough to throw in the towel. But I am looking at Centros for my wife and I both and can not say "Gotta have it" because just about everything on my 680 and my wifes' 650 works for our needs and a centro does not change it.

That said, i don't want to go that route if the next step in evolution (wifi or 3g) come down the pike. I could then BT to my laptop and I would have all the real power I need when on the road for business.

PLEASE PALM...PLEASE.......I've been in since the 180.....

Skigs
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    I've been on Palm since the mid 90's and still love the OS. Sure, it's long in the tooth (to say the least), but the beauty of it is that it's so tweakable. With a couple of apps I can completely transform the way the OS looks, and it still runs more programs than the supposed Jesus-of-cellphones (iphone).

I am really looking forward to both the next-gen Palm os as well as Android. I think we are in for some revolutionary devices in the next year or two. Hopefully Palm will be a strong consideration for me, or worst case I get style-tap to run my beloved Palm apps on some other phone and get the best of both worlds.
    Very interested in this. What applications and how would it change the way the OS looks? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm a rookie to all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs View Post
    I too am looking forward to the next incarnation.

I am just a user...not a power user and find that the 680 has been pretty good to me. It does reboot now and again, which pisses me off, but not enough to throw in the towel. But I am looking at Centros for my wife and I both and can not say "Gotta have it" because just about everything on my 680 and my wifes' 650 works for our needs and a centro does not change it.

That said, i don't want to go that route if the next step in evolution (wifi or 3g) come down the pike. I could then BT to my laptop and I would have all the real power I need when on the road for business.

PLEASE PALM...PLEASE.......I've been in since the 180.....

Skigs
    For me I do not like the Centro...I prefer the Palm 755p. Mine too reboots at times. I wonder what causes that? The times when it has rebooted the most has been when I was using Yahoo IM. Other than that I think it only rebooted one time when I was not on IM.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I hate to even be curious, but I am.... Can you run multiple Palm apps at the same time in WM? And what about integration between them, or enhancements (HiLauncher, etc). What about apps that use external communication, like bluetooth? Specific example; geocaching software GeoNiche, do you think it would work in WM inside StyleTap?

My 680 is doing well, but I'm considering more and more that this road ain't getting paved any more.
    Trying to load GeoNiche into StyleTap gives hordes of errors.. All the other geocaching software sucks on Windows Mobile.
    Does anyone think that Palm will come up with a Palm OS Garnett Treo with the same form factor as the rumored 800w? It musn't be that hard to do that. They should basically have the same motherboard or something.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Does anyone think that Palm will come up with a Palm OS Garnett Treo with the same form factor as the rumored 800w? It musn't be that hard to do that. They should basically have the same motherboard or something.
    Hi Bulls96,

I hope not. Get on with making my 900p !!

Seriously, I think the 755p and Centro is and should be it for FrankenGarnet. . . . I hope that Palm is putting their development resources into bringing the Palm/Linux flagship Treo to market.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/22/2008 at 04:16 PM.
    I'm with you Perry! Bring on the 900P! Preferably unlocked!
    I hope it is Sprint, since I just switched to SERO.
    Anyway, I am siked cause I just got signd up with Palm as a beta tester. here is hoping I am one for the 900P
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I just got signd up with Palm as a beta tester. here is hoping I am one for the 900P
    Enjoy the 800w...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by Show View Post
    Very interested in this. What applications and how would it change the way the OS looks? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm a rookie to all of this.
    Sorry for the delay in responding...

I use Palm Revolt to "re-skin" the OS, as well as Zlauncher for my launcher, font smoother for the fonts, and a few other programs to add functionality. Butler is a great addition, as well as volumecare (to kick up the ringtone volume) and Ringo for mp3 ringtones.

I was reading earlier about a program called "skinner" to re-skin the phone app, but I haven't tried it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    Sorry for the delay in responding...

I use Palm Revolt to "re-skin" the OS, as well as Zlauncher for my launcher, font smoother for the fonts, and a few other programs to add functionality. Butler is a great addition, as well as volumecare (to kick up the ringtone volume) and Ringo for mp3 ringtones.

I was reading earlier about a program called "skinner" to re-skin the phone app, but I haven't tried it yet.

Where do I find the Palm Revolt, Zlauncher, Butler and volumecare? Especially interested in volumecare to kick up the volume.
    Check out pocketgear or Handango. Google is your friend.
    Last edited by adjmcloon; 04/25/2008 at 09:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I hope Palm's new smartphones loaded with the new Palm OS are not just remakes of what we currently have.

If Palm took a Centro, added WIFI, 3G, GPS, 2mp camera with flash, new operating system, etc... they would be big!

Here's to Palm actually making a come back.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    With a majority of app developers giving away their software for free shows Palm OS has nothing set. The Zepplin, Nova, or Duckamathingy OS are "unicorns". No way can they ever be #1. They had so many chances to get past everyone but what did they do? Nothing, just sat around scratching themselves, giving high fives and saying we still got the lead none of these mobile companies can match the mighty Garnet. It's like seeing a guy who never left the 80's or his mullet.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234