Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I like the designs they do, but I've seen better build quality from other manufacturers including Samsung and LG. Their sliders always feel cheap and flimsy. I don't think the Touch is all it's cracked up to be. It just a shame some of these other companies don't take their souped up messaging/email phones and turn them into pda's. And I think the Samsung F700 will have it all over the Touch or Touch Dual.

But that's all off topic. The point of my post (even if I was a bit overboard with the HTC and crap remark) was that everyone seems to think this new Palm Linux OS is going to be behind the times once it's introduced. And I don't see where there is ANY evidence of that. Spy shots, leaked info or whatever is pretty much non-existent. There's less info on it than there is on the 800w. And people are already condemning it to a death at the hands of the extremely popular and awesome OS's of Windows Mobile, Symbian and Apple. And faith in that comes from where? Windows Mobile hasn't leap frogged itself over the past 7 years. Symbian isn't taking the market by storm. And the iphone will never be a true business device if it's only input is based off of the touch screen. It'll never capture the real email/msg centric populace.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryHolden View Post

IF THE ABOVE IS TRUE, PALM JUST RAISED MY EXPECTATION LEVEL FOR MY 900p. WiFi and GPS !!
    And I was kinda hoping for a GSM Palm with the above by XMas as my 650 will be 4 years old in February 2009.....I don't even keep PC's that long !

But yes, I am predicting a late spring / mid summer Linux based GSM Treo .... and remember .... I'm 3 for 3 on predictions so far !
  3.    #43  
    We will have to see Jack. Ed C said in about '18 months' about 5 months ago. CDMA or GSM first is the question.

Who knows . . . I might be on to an 800w or iPhone II with StyleTap dragging my Palm OS library of apps along for the ride by then.
    Sidenote....I just "turned off" my MediaMax200 service after confirming that I could add it back if and when I wanted to. The last time I checked my e-mail on my Treo was October....the last time I used the web on it, I can't even remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    Sidenote....I just "turned off" my MediaMax200 service after confirming that I could add it back if and when I wanted to. The last time I checked my e-mail on my Treo was October....the last time I used the web on it, I can't even remember.

If i had a 650 I wouldnt use the thing either.
    Im on the toilet for less time then that thing takes to load apps and use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbone View Post
    If i had a 650 I wouldnt use the thing either.
    Im on the toilet for less time then that thing takes to load apps and use them.
    Can't say I have ever experienced what you are talking about. My\ost apps load in less than a second. I use it almost every day for engineering calculations, GPS is bets I have used and I use some surveying level GPS on the job. E-mail comes in fine, web pages load fine. Once there however, thumb typing and scrolling on a 2" screen is the PITA.

I launched my most frequently used web pages and apps with a voice command. My experience was only limited by the KB and screen.
    ALP looks pretty nice!
    Considering the processor requirement specs are pretty similar to the 755p/Centro (and the 3rd party apps are basically compatible), I hope it flashes on those phones!
    Can't say I have ever experienced what you are talking about. My\ost apps load in less than a second. I use it almost every day for engineering calculations, GPS is bets I have used and I use some surveying level GPS on the job. E-mail comes in fine, web pages load fine. Once there however, thumb typing and scrolling on a 2" screen is the PITA.

I launched my most frequently used web pages and apps with a voice command. My experience was only limited by the KB and screen.

thats a false statement cause the 650 doesnt even support Power Vision-
    which that in itself makes it 10x slower when accessing anything via the web.

Second... the saying 'ignorance is bliss' comes into play here. Now im not calling you ignorant by any means. Im just saying that you dont know that your 650 is extremely slow cause you havent owned a 290, 300, 650, 700 and now a centro like I have.
    Once youve owned them all or atleast upgraded to a centro or a 755 youll relize how slow the 650 really is.
    Everything from making phone calls, disconnecting them, sending txt messages, or even just switching from the phone screen to the home screen you'll notice how slow the 650 is.

Not to mention I have over 11 pages of apps installed on the phone, which isnt even including the dozen more pages on the SD card.

if you have problems scrolling on a 2 inch screen, try laying off the doughnuts, maybe ull decrease your finger size. No seriously tho,I have the same issue, try a launcher application like Zlauncher to change the Size of the scroll bar to make for easier finger use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbone View Post
    thats a false statement cause the 650 doesnt even support Power Vision-which that in itself makes it 10x slower when accessing anything via the web.

Second... the saying 'ignorance is bliss' comes into play here. Now im not calling you ignorant by any means. Im just saying that you dont know that your 650 is extremely slow cause you havent owned a 290, 300, 650, 700 and now a centro like I have.
    I don't own a Lamboughini but I ahe driven one, I don't own a Ferrari but I had one for a week. I do own a Porsche but it's not my every day vehicle cause it's not practical on construction sites.

BTW, AT&T doesn't have powervision either. Your comparing CDMA versus EDGE and drawing a conclusion on the 650 without taking into account the relative differences in speed between the two networks as is shown here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1771912,00.asp

Hit the test results link at top 1st line of article.

Despite the 2.5 moniker laid on Edge by some pundits, it does in fact qualify under the 3G standard. There's too many posts on here to repost all the links but this should suffice:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1770749,00.asp

"The least expensive of the three 3G networks, EDGE was rolled out nationwide quickly because it overlies Cingular's existing GSM/GPRS network. Obtaining the increased data speeds merely required a software upgrade for base stations."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1772854,00.asp

"Cingular's EDGE network has the most nationwide coverage and is the cheapest to use, but it is also the slowest 3G network—only about twice the speed of dial-up. EDGE is only marginally 3G; some experts consider it a 2.5G network. But it's still a major jump ahead of the slow (30- to 50-Kbps) GPRS speeds you're used to getting."

Comparing Sprint and AT&T here is a tough job as it's extremely difficult to get a Sprint signal. The Long Island area, despite having a population larger than Chicago, has no EVDO, and no HSDPA except for little tiny spots like "the Hamptons".

Please excuse my ignorance but tell me how I am going to benefit from "PowerVision" when all the brick and mortar stores have stopped selling Sprint phones cause you can't even get a signal in front of their stores ? How am I going to benefit from EVDO or HSDPA when there's no coverage at all within 20 or 30 miles ?

The fact is, despite your assertions to the contrary, my AT&T Treo does just what I need it to do. If the Treo 900 was to come out tomorrow at $400 for the base unit and $500 for one with WiFi and HSDPA, I'd save the $100.

I have a 30 Mbps connection on my laptop....it certainly comes in handy for downloading 100+ MB service packs. However, when "cable goes down", it's absolutely indistinguishable from 56k dial up when answering e-mails. I'm not spending my day sending U-tube videos back and forth. I am spending my day doing business communications.

"Jack, the generator set will be delivered to the site on the 16th, we should have it all wired up w/ fuel supply connected and ready to go by the 26th. Manufacturer wants to do start up any time after the 28th"

"Bill, let's do it at 10 am on the 29th. I'd like to start the test at half load for 1 hour and then boost it up to full load for an hour. Have the vendor supply load banks for both conditions. Test shall be a full not simulated test. Test will be initiated by cutting power to the station so as to simulate an actual power outage and also testing the function of the ATS. See you on the 29th.

Network speed does not affect those types of communications. Anything longer than 2 or 3 sentences and I am not gonna type it on a thumb board. Anything longer than 2 or 3 sentences ..... we are talking 400 bytes here .... isn't going to matter what network you are on.

On 56 kbps, 400 bytes is probably about 0.06 seconds. Tell me how my life is changed by doubling that and dropping it to 0.03 seconds on EDGE ? Tell me how my life is changed by by dropping that to 0.01 seconds under EVDO / HSDPA ?

If you feel compelled to use your phone as an entertainment device, ..... ya wanna stream Seinfeld reruns and watch them on a 2" screen, hey whatever floats ya boat. But if you are trying to make a case for business communications, what I can't do in 20 seconds on my phone gets down by my secretary with a 10 second call to the office "E-mail Bill the new Site Plan" or it gets done in an hour or two when I am back in the office or at my laptop.

Thumb typing is just too damn slow......navigating the web on a 2" screen is unproductive.
    The Long Island area, despite having a population larger than Chicago, has no EVDO...
    Hmm...that's perhaps a bit strong. Actually, it's boarders on hyperbole. Not saying you don't have good coverage where you are, but up here on the North shore--coverage is quite stable.

From Northport/Huntington and all the way to NYC (except for Cold Spring Harbor a bit) I have very strong and consistent EvDO coverage and have had that since late 2005 when Sprint 1st launched the 6700.

To restate: I either have 3g or no signal on Long Island (the latter is actually quite rare), but I've never just had "1x" (no evdo) and a strong signal. Every Sprint tower down here, AFAICT, is equipped with 3g.

Something else to consider: newer devices have much, much better signal reception than the 650. My Centro gets the best reception out of my stable of devices (Moto Q, 700wx, 6700, 650). CDMA also works better in doors.

3g is also nice for pulling down or sending email attachments, using VOIP, google maps in the city, weather, rss, etc, not just "entertainment" which is a fairly narrow view of the technology. Those are all "business needs" just maybe not your business needs. Fine.

It's also very handy as a wireless modem for your laptop if you are on the go and travel around.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Hmm...that's perhaps a bit strong. Actually, it's boarders on hyperbole. Not saying you don't have good coverage where you are, but up here on the North shore--coverage is quite stable.

From Northport/Huntington and all the way to NYC (except for Cold Spring Harbor a bit) I have very strong and consistent EVDO coverage and have had that since late 2005 when Sprint 1st launched the 6700.
    Huntington to NYC (Queens Border) is a 17 mile trip on a 120+ mile long Island. Go in the other direction (east) and you won't fare hardly as well.

In February 2004 there were 3 brick and mortar stores selling Sprint phones within 25 miles of me, now there are none. The maps are a bit of a stretch as one of those stores was right smack in the middle in one of Sprint's first EVDO sites and we couldn't get any signal on a Sprint Treo right outside the store. That's not a knock on Sprint, I distrust all the claimed coverages maps which is why I insist on testing a device before using it.

I also keep two cell phones on different carriers just in case I'm outside one coverage area, hopefully I will be in another. I have to drive 1.5 miles however to get a Verizon signal.....about 4 to get a Sprint signal. None of them are EVDO / HSDPA tho. About once every 18 months, I will test the coverages with a loaner to see how things have changed or improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    Jack, we GET your message loud and clear- you have an opinion and you have voiced it. Thank you for that. However, your opinion is yours alone and everyone is entitled to one. If you are so done with palm and palm products and you are as busy as you say you are, why waste time dissing palm rather than spending time on another forum extolling the virtues of your present device?
    Whose messages are you reading ? I am by no means done with Palm or Palm products ....and the whole point of my post is that my Treo suits me just fine. I don't have a problem with diverse opinions, but if you are going to criticize, at least get your facts straight.

I responded to a post that said the Treo was too slow and I responded saying it loads my apps just fine and does everything I wanted it to do just fine. To you that means that I'm criticizing Palm ? Check the dictionary and you will see "defending" does not mean the same as "criticizing".

I have no beef with Palm or Palm products. I have a beef with people who criticize tools and other people's choices as being to slow when they can't themselves keep up with the speed of the tool. It's like saying you'd never get to work on time if you didn't have a Ferrari. Who makes the commute to NYC faster on the LIE during rush hour, the guy in the Testarosa or the guy in the Tercel ? Well with traffic averaging 25 mph, I really don't think it matters.

No one has yet explained to me how sending an e-mail message in 0.03 seconds instead of 0.06 constitutes a measurable increase in productivity. No one has yet explained to me why typing a 2 page memo on a thumb board and and then proofreading it on 2 inch screen in 20 minutes from the hotel lobby is more productive than spending 10 minutes on a full size KB w/ 19" screen in the hotel's business center.

I used to be sitting in that lobby typing on my Treo, but then I wanted to get my boarding pass for my flight out and like most phones, the Treo doesn't print very conveniently. So I walked over to the hotel's business center and printed it out, then I checked my e-mail.....I had to admit, it was a heck of a lot easier / faster on the big KB / screen than it was thumb typing in the lobby.

So where you get the idea that I'm extolling on another device I have no idea because I don't own one.....and I am not promoting one. I'm saying the Treo does just fine.....I'm saying when it gets down to brass tacks, for me as a business tool, it really doesn't matter that I don't have EVDO / HSDPA. If what I was doing was impacted by speed, I wouldn't be doing it an any portable device. I'd use any of the multitude of full size KB's, screens and wired broadband connections that are readily available to me 98% of the time.
    There are plenty of other business related programs that make good use of 3g data rates - VNC comes to mind as a very strong one. Granted it works on slower connections, but takes FOREVER to refresh the screen view. And since we're talking about productivity here...
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755

I have no beef with Palm or Palm products. I have a beef with people who criticize tools and other people's choices as being to slow when they can't themselves keep up with the speed of the tool. It's like saying you'd never get to work on time if you didn't have a Ferrari. Who makes the commute to NYC faster on the LIE during rush hour, the guy in the Testarosa or the guy in the Tercel ? Well with traffic averaging 25 mph, I really don't think it matters.

No one has yet explained to me how sending an e-mail message in 0.03 seconds instead of 0.06 constitutes a measurable increase in productivity. No one has yet explained to me why typing a 2 page memo on a thumb board and and then proofreading it on 2 inch screen in 20 minutes from the hotel lobby is more productive than spending 10 minutes on a full size KB w/ 19" screen in the hotel's business center.

I used to be sitting in that lobby typing on my Treo, but then I wanted to get my boarding pass for my flight out and like most phones, the Treo doesn't print very conveniently. So I walked over to the hotel's business center and printed it out, then I checked my e-mail.....I had to admit, it was a heck of a lot easier / faster on the big KB / screen than it was thumb typing in the lobby.

So where you get the idea that I'm extolling on another device I have no idea because I don't own one.....and I am not promoting one. I'm saying the Treo does just fine.....I'm saying when it gets down to brass tacks, for me as a business tool, it really doesn't matter that I don't have EVDO / HSDPA. If what I was doing was impacted by speed, I wouldn't be doing it an any portable device. I'd use any of the multitude of full size KB's, screens and wired broadband connections that are readily available to me 98% of the time.
    I dont know about you, but my BMW does get me to work faster then the Jeep Grand Cherokee I have, and they both have V8's.

You can't say that the apple is better then the orange unless youve tried both.

also... My treo prints pretty good via bluetooth.

(now im just breaking ur balls incase u didnt notice )
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    No i agree, although i'm a big fan of Windows Mobile, I know that the Linux POS has a LOT of potential for how a smartphone should operate. I think it can be the BEST mobile OS EVER. So I am also looking forward to it.
    I had a Treo 700wx but have purchased a Treo 755p in November and like it much better than the wx. I'm with Sprint and Windows Mobile does not allow you to have a content manager. I may not use as many applications as other users but I like the simplicity of being able to download ringtones or call tones which I cannot do (with the exception of one site for ringers).

Does anyone know if Windows Mobile will allow you to have a content manager like the other non WM OS will?

Also what you like more about the WM OS as opposed to the OS in the 755p?
    I hated my 700wx also. I even liked the Mogul better than it back when the Mogul rom was way unstable.

755p is my favorite phone so far.
    I cannot wait for the next version of the Treo. As far as e-mail, IM, texts...everything has worked much better with the Palm OS than with the WM when I had the Treo 700wx.

I'm a rookie to the board, this being my second post. I'd love to hear people opinions as to what OS they think is best and why.

Comparing my 700wx with the WM OS to the Treo 755p Plam OS I give a clear advantage to the Treo 755p.

1. As a Sprint user the WM does not have a content manager, the Palm OS does. Meaning simple task such as downloading a ringtone from not just Sprints site but from other sites. I found only one site after having the 700WX for a few months where I could download a ringtone.

2. You can have a calltone with the 755P but not with the Windows Mobile based 700wx.

3. Better performace from my Jawbone Bluetooth. Is not hard to sync up the bluetooth with either device, however the 755p has a better performance...my calls will autonmatically be pick up by my Jawbone whereas a lot of time with the 700WX I had to turn it off and on just to get my Jawbone to re-sync with my device.

4. E-mail comes in faster and the performance is better with the 755p. It is also a lot easier to delete multiple messages with the 755P than it is with the 700wx.

5. Syncing the desktop with the device for media purposes (downloading pictures and videos is quicker and easier. I can even adjust the pictures on my device once syncing the Treo 755p but cannot do it with the 700wx.

I have seen some folks love WM and speak about applications workd better on WM. I don't see it.

What kind of applications work better on WM?
    Last edited by Show; 04/03/2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: adding another comment
    Outlook tends to be more solid with EAS than VM. Also Palm has no bittorrent client whatsoever. Other than that I like Palm apps a lot.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast