1.    #1  
    I'm posting this here because anyone with a Palm OS Treo or Centro might know the answer to this. I was looking at the available memory on my Centro today, and it was down to 36 mb. Looking to see what's taking up all the space and I found that my contacts were taking up over 6 mb. 6 mb for only 400 contacts? That seems ridiculous, since almost all are just phone numbers, with a few having an address. I think something's wrong here. I went to FileZ and moved them to the card, but then I had no contacts, so I moved them back. Is there a way to move the contacts to the card and be able to read them in the contact program? What's happened to make this file so large? Thanks.
    Last edited by RickMG; 01/02/2008 at 10:49 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    This is very weird Rick. I bet one of the contacts is a bloated dead whale on the beach. But which one?

On my 755p, my contact database is only 322kb.

I will have to search, I think this has been discussed before.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ct#post1213154
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/02/2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Take a look at DBScan - http://pimlicosoftware.com/support.htm / the actual file link is http://pimlicosoftware.com/dbscan.zip) You can scan the database for free and if that is not the problem then your not out anything.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    This is very weird Rick. I bet one of the contacts is a bloated dead whale on the beach. But which one?

On my 755p, my contact database is only 322kb.

I will have to search, I think this has been discussed before.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ct#post1213154
    Perry, I can't tell you how thankful I am for that link. That took care of the problem. I was having the exact same problem as finnd. The database went from 6.54 mb to 181 kb, and like him it used to take the phone forever to save a contact or edit one. It was the same on my 755, I guess because I just backed up from that onto the Centro. Now it's immediate. I love it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=19

I have sent a message to sblanter today for step by step instructions. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Perry, I can't tell you how thankful I am for that link. That took care of the problem. I was having the exact same problem as finnd. The database went from 6.54 mb to 181 kb, and like him it used to take the phone forever to save a contact or edit one. It was the same on my 755, I guess because I just backed up from that onto the Centro. Now it's immediate. I love it.
    Thanks to Bill Gamble and Powerpack, as well. The power of the forum strikes again!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...68&postcount=4

Cheers, Perry.
    eziest fix is:

beam ALL your contacts to another treo (or palm)

delete the db from your phone, and beam ALL the contacts back.

(or sync it to pc, delete the db on the treo....and resync but with (desktop overwrite handheld option)
    I have 4mb, & I really don't think that's right either. Tried everything & no changes..gonna try the beam thingy next.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I did not read all of fellow Michigander Perry's links, but my Centro contacts got verry sluggish with a 22 second delay when editing and filled memory.

In palm desktop, I exported contacts and using Wordpad, found the same strange wording in 50 or more contact entries. I could not re-import until they were all deleted.

Now, the phone is responsive again and contacts are reasonable size. When I get to my PC, I can comment further as I am in bed now.
    FastFrank
  10.    #10  
    This is exactly what I did from Perry's link. Now, I don't use Outlook, I use the Palm Desktop program.

Quote Originally Posted by finnd View Post
    ok, it is down to a managable 236k in size. Here's what I did:
    1) select a category on PalmDesktop Contacts
    2) highlight all contacts in that group
    3) export all as a single vCard
    4) delete all highlighted contacts
    5) import vCard
    ----Repeat for each category----
    6) in HotSync custom set contacts on desktop to overwrite handheld
    7) syncronize

just that simple. I do use DA so that may very well be the culprit for the ginormous database. Perhaps I'll do this as housecleaning every year.
    DBFixit is another alternative. Ben
    RickMG - It sounds like you may have deleted the bad contacts.

I simply deteted a short phrase within a contact and left the remaining contact info in place.

After many hours of finding & understanding the problem, I did a search and destroy (find & replace :-)) of the phrase. If this happens again, it should only take minutes. If I find the Phrase, I will report back.
    FastFrank
    Here is the phrase that I was looking for:

;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE

For the "Find", I simply added a space to the end and simply replaced with a "space character".

All of this was done in WordPad on the PC.

Anybody have any ideas how this could have ended up in so many of my contacts? Strange. I have used the following lookup programs: DA, GMaps, X411.
    FastFrank