1.    #1  
    I tried to install my Treo 650 CD for the Palm Desktop and applications on a new computer running Vista, but on launching the desktop app it just locks up.

So I went to Palm's site, found the Desktop 6.2 beta for Vista, and installed that. Well, it works, but it doesn't seem to offer any synch options (whether the phone overwrites the computer or vice versa) and there's no way to install the other applications from the CD that I can see.

Is anyone else having fun with Palm and Vista? Got a manual way to install those other apps, like RealPlayer (so I can move music to the palm) and Audible?
    Sync options - take a look at a couple of places. Right click on the hot sync thing in the system tray and play around there. From the Palm desktop take a look at Tools -> users -> application.

Ben
  3.    #3  
    "Right click on the hot sync thing in the system tray and play around there."
    Oh duh. Right clicked, only real option is SETTINGS, didn't realize I'd have to drill down to APPLICATIONS, CONFIGURE and then set the synch options from there. I thought they were talking about configuring applications...I think of it as configuring the synchronization process. (shrug)

"From the Palm desktop take a look at Tools -> users -> application."

Same thing. I guess whoever wrote the new software was raised in a different culture, and thinks differently, from whoever wrote the original desktop.

YnGlitch as a second language. Or third or fourth, most likely.

THANKS, Ben!

Now, if they'd just add Bluetooth as an option...and the beta wouldn't complain about EASNotify.DLL being missing...
    Bluetooth works well and is what I use exclusively. In the hot sync setup/connections make sure you check serial. Also make sure you have the Bluetooth services enabled properly on the desktop.

Ben
  5.    #5  
    I'd hate to order lunch from whoever did those menus. Select "serial" when you want Bluetooth, huh? And it won't go the real hardware serial port, it will magically use the BT radio instead. Incredible.

How about a way to crowbar the applications off the original CD, so they can be installed under the Vista beta Palm Desktop, or at least, installed under the Vista OS without the old Desktop software? Or will a downloaded version of RealPlayer have the same tools for transferring and coordinating with the Treo? Audible Manager, too?
    When I installed Palm Desktop 4.1.4 from Palm.com (not the beta) i had the same results, but the solution for me and my father was plain simple.
    1. Install Palm Dekstop 4.1.4
    2. Uninstal what you have just installed
    3. Install PD 4.1.4 again!
    and no need to use the 6.2 which doesnt even have quickinstall
    I installed just to see if I could get it running. The first time was a waste, the 2nd time after disabling the virus protection software was a go. Ben
  8.    #8  
    I'm not sure why installing/uninstalling/reinstalling would be any different from simply installing once...but the reminder to disable AV software before any program installation is good. Some software (Adobe and Symantec at various times) are notorious for conflicting during installs. I wonder which desktop software version is on my CD...

And then again, since there were no docs with the new OS and I haven't gotten a book on Vista yet, I just caught up on how to install things in "compatibility mode" which may solve the problem as well. More to explore.

Even with broadband, the initial installs and updates and patches and reinstalling what was on the old machine are a long process!
    It probably writes something to the registry after first installation.
    I've tried my method on 3 PCs and 2 of them used clean vista (not upgrade) and it worked
  10.    #10  
    Thanks, I'll have to check the version on my CD and try a reinstall anyway--in compatibility mode.
    I pounded my head for three days trying to get Vista to hotsync my 700p & just gave up. I installed the beta but everytime I pushed the hotsync button, it would recognize the Treo and then unrecognize it. The process continued over and over and over, etc. I thought the hotsync cable went bad and bought a new one but still the same thing. I did a search & found a post here saying it is a known 64-bit Vista problem. The thing is I have the 32-bit version loaded on a Turion 64 Duo Core processor.

I tried to setup the Bluetooth hotsync but came up with the infamous COM port in use error. I tried suggestions from a few posts about the subject but found no joy again.

I can't believe that for the amount of time Vista has been out for, in addition to how long it was available in beta, that Palm STILL hasn't released an official desktop program. They have even more nerve to be releasing newer cellphones with a beta Desktop CD included. I get the distinct feeling that they have no intention of working on it any further or ever releasing a final version. Pretty weak Palm.

If anyone has ideas on how I can get hotsync to work, I would appreciate hearing them.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    The comm port problems:
    1) make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on the Treo and of course paired.

2) Enable the hot sync utility in the system tray.

3) Make sure the ports match in both the hot sync utility and the Bluetooth setup. They just gotta match and of course

Make sure you have Bluetooth syncing enabled in the hot sync utility. It's like enabling "serial."

Also, not a lot works with Vista. I have an Acer 17" laptop running Vista and it bites. I have had problems installing every piece of hardware on this laptop with the exception of the Palm and related applications. I even had 1 mouse that just plain refused to work. Three printers, 1 scanner - Vista just plain bites. I am seriously considering installing XP on it.

Ben
    I have had problems with Vista and Palm Desktop Beta. I also had an Acer which I had for less than 1 month and had to get the hard drive replaced. When I got it back, I installed Office, Outlook, and Palm Desktop Beta. After less than 1 week of moderate use, I got the blue screen of death. The only thing that was common between the original and the new was Palm Desktop. I uninstalled and have had no problems since. Coincidence?
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The comm port problems:

Also, not a lot works with Vista. I have an Acer 17" laptop running Vista and it bites. I have had problems installing every piece of hardware on this laptop with the exception of the Palm and related applications. I even had 1 mouse that just plain refused to work. Three printers, 1 scanner - Vista just plain bites. I am seriously considering installing XP on it.

Ben
    See i read this stuff and just shake my head. I've had Vista since it came out and other than waiting for a few drivers (that have since came out), i've had no problems.

I have (or had) canon s9000 printer, pro9000 printer, hp 1012, hp 3390, and a epson 2400 scanner, logitech mice, external harddrives, key drives. All work easily.

Adobe acrobat pro, photoshop cs2, office 2003 & 2007, nero 7, synmantec antivirus 10.2, palm desktop beta, firefox, games like warcraft 3, itunes, etc. All work great.

Granted, its a pretty new computer that's almost a year old now..but Vista runs well on it.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I am getting the same Bluetooth result I remember from last time. The Treo connects to the PC and then it displays the following error & re-boots afterwards:

"Unable to initiate Hotsync because the COM port is in use by another application."

I turned Windows firewall off and made sure the COM ports matched in the Bluetooth and Palm Desktop application. They are both set to COM 10. Anyone know what gives with this?

On a side note, I previously removed ports 3-9 during this struggle which is why this one is #10. Any idea how to get new COM ports to start back at the default #3?

BTW, this is an Acer Aspire 5102WLMi notebook.
    Another thing, this error will also occur if the 2 devices are not paired. As for ports, normally 4 is the one that works for me.

Ben
    Almost as soon as I wrote it, Palm released their final version desktop. Still no 64-bit support though.

I downloaded & tried it. I still get the same error and re-boot on the Treo. I guess the only thing to try now is to backup, wipe and see if that solves the problem. I have a feeling it won't thoughbecause the only third party apps I trust having on my Palm anymore are Agendus and LudusP. This is yet another example of how shaky Garnet is. There is no way I should be having these types of problems with a hotsync operation regardless of anything.