Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Jennifer and I are taking a shot at 2008. Article going up in just a minute - figured we'd want a thread where you can tell us we're wrong.

Here 'tis:

http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1468-1.htm
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 12/27/2007 at 08:28 AM.
    I think the predictions are pretty solid, personally. I'm a little amused that we're in 2007 and getting excited about what Palm might bring to the table in 2009!? I think the comment about "Palm needs to be sure it's new OS will compete with..." sums it up. Palm is way behind the curve and playing catch-up. I guess the real thing I'll be watching for is whether Palm has the wherewithal to actually deliver in a meaningful timeframe.

In a more realistic timeframe -- like, oh, say, 2008? -- I'm going to be paying a whole lot more attention to the iPhone SDK and the likes of Nokia's N810. If it's Unix/Linux, PDA, open, and a cool device... it'll get my attention.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    The only area I hope you're wrong is the 2nd quarter release of the AT&T GSM Centro.
    I was sure hoping for a 1st quarter release.
    I've been using a BlackJack as a home phone on nights and weekends and it's size in my pocket is sure starting to spoil me. I was hoping for the Centro in Q1.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Why add the w to the 800w if there is no 800p. I'll bet there's an 800p coming with the same specs runing traditional palm.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    GSM Centro with no HSDPA? what the heck?
    One thing I didn't see mentioned in the article that I think Palm really needs to address is their quality assurance. If there last quarter's report is any indication, this has been hurting their bottomline. Furthermore, there are a lot of people who are only going to try Palm phones once and if they don't operate right they will trade them in and never look back. I would hope that along with the streamlining and cost-reduction, that some real attention will be paid to quality assurance to make future phone offerings more attractive.

Stu
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Well here is my more wish than prediction.

A Palm TXX or TX2 - whatever you want to call it with a slider keyboard (or UX-50 form factor) and built in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS.

Or a treo with said form factor.

I know - never gonna happen...

It would be nice to see a return of the Treo 300 form factor - Including SCREEN SIZE !
    How has Palm kept the secret?

Palm has done such a great job of keeping the next Generation of PALM OS a secret because they don't even know what it will be. No work is being done and they have lost vision and will die soon. too bad i like the Palm platform
    *snicker* You can say that again. It doesn't count as a secret if there's nothing to share. It's the same reason I laughed when people started heckling Palm on their "official" blog about posting irrelevant stuff, and seemingly ignoring the herd of elephants in the corner. They know what we want but they have nothing to offer us, not even rumors to inject into the media. It's sad, but I'm over it now. I've written them off and am looking about for alternatives. If they actually come back to the table with something relevant then I'll reconsider it then -- God help them if it's the stinking Foleo again, though. *yawn*
    How do we know Sprint is getting the 800w first? Wasn't the original rumors VZW was suppose to get it in August/September time when we first heard about the 800w back in May/June? Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    How do we know Sprint is getting the 800w first? Wasn't the original rumors VZW was suppose to get it in August/September time when we first heard about the 800w back in May/June? Just saying.
    Couple of things
    • There is more information about a Sprint 800w than a Verizon one at this point
    • Dieter/Jennifer may "know" officially
    • Sprint has traditionally released Palm devices first. Exception: 700w.
    • Verizon has been terrible lately at hitting those dates (see original source for those Verizon releases)

But there is as of yet, no publicly available "proof" of from either carrier. All we know are the Sprint dates: Q4 moved to Q1 2008. We haven't heard anything about Verizon since June. Sprint may have inked a deal to get exclusivity on it and it got yanked from a "Verizon first" device. Same thing happened with the Blackjack--Sprint was set to get it, then bam, AT&T signed an exclusive on it. Sprint went with Moto, who was not exactly a favorite Sprint OEM. That's at least one possibility. Money talks ;-)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    good article.

Not that I'm looking for one, but does anyone think Palm may update or adjust there non Phone PDA line? I would hope not, but if the new OS is ready by forth quarter, a refresher may be needed.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDot View Post
    The only area I hope you're wrong is the 2nd quarter release of the AT&T GSM Centro.
    I was sure hoping for a 1st quarter release.
    Same here. I'm also wondering if the flip model might come out in GSM at some point too. While I've never owned a flip phone yet, I might consider one.
  14. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dontbugme View Post
    GSM Centro with no HSDPA? what the heck?
    It means that we won't see a GSM device from Palm until Palm OS II is ready, since Garnet can't handle the simultaneous voice and data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Couple of things
    But there is as of yet, no publicly available "proof" of from either carrier. All we know are the Sprint dates: Q4 moved to Q1 2008. We haven't heard anything about Verizon since June. Sprint may have inked a deal to get exclusivity on it and it got yanked from a "Verizon first" device. Same thing happened with the Blackjack--Sprint was set to get it, then bam, AT&T signed an exclusive on it. Sprint went with Moto, who was not exactly a favorite Sprint OEM. That's at least one possibility. Money talks ;-)
    Well that makes sense thank you for clearing that up.
    I predict Palm gets purchased in '08 for bargain basement price and that half or more of their products in development get scratched. I've been a Palm loyalist for too long. At one time, I loved their operating system. But it is sooo old, sooo outdated, and they are sooooo absurdly late in introducing a new operating system, it's beyond description.

When I retired by Tungsten T and purchased my Treo 700p 19 months ago, I thought I was getting the latest and best in technology. It has been a huge disappointment and frustration. The recent ROM update (delayed for month and month and month) made no noticeable improvements to the frustrating user experience. I am counting the days for my Verizon contract to expire in 5 months at which time I will be purchasing the iPhone. I am sooooo looking forward to that! While the iPhone doesn't do everything, I just want something that works--simply and predictably without constant long pauses, resets, etc, etc.

Palm has made too many mistakes in recent years. They are waaay behind the curve and I predict they will not recover. I think the Treo will survive, but under a new company ownership with better leadership.
    I've been holding onto my 650 for a while, even though it's close to hitting its last leg. I don't like WinMob, so I'd been waiting for the new OS, since the 680 wasn't much of an upgrade. At this point, i'm really hoping that someone will be brilliant and create the ability for Android to run Garnet programs and allow them to work natively (like Access has already done). Heck, I think I'd be happy if Palm did a temporary fix and released a phone with the ALP. At least then they'd be doing something new that is worthwhile.

Michael
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by atremorer View Post
    I've been holding onto my 650 for a while, even though it's close to hitting its last leg. I don't like WinMob, so I'd been waiting for the new OS, since the 680 wasn't much of an upgrade.
    Oh, trust me the 680 is an upgrade, especially if your 650 crashes a lot due to insufficient DBCache or stack space. I'm actually glad I did the 680 when I did, or I'd have waited a whole additional year without any other good alternative from Plam. If I was still on a 650 now I'd actually consider a Centro or 755P for direct replacement, unless you're GSM and then it's still the 680.

At this point, i'm really hoping that someone will be brilliant and create the ability for Android to run Garnet programs and allow them to work natively (like Access has already done).
    I was gonna say! I was really psyched when I saw the announcement about the Nokia N810. Too bad Plam can't seem to inspire such feelings...

Heck, I think I'd be happy if Palm did a temporary fix and released a phone with the ALP. At least then they'd be doing something new that is worthwhile.
    Well, at least NTT will benefit from ALP. Plam just couldn't be bothered and we've all suffered for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    ...Plam just couldn't be bothered and we've all suffered for it.
    lol, love the drama

Malatesta File Photo of Palm OS users, circa 2007/2008

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    LOL Glad you enjoyed it, but it's only shared half jokingly. A company like this should not go without pain for dragging customers through stupidity like they've exhibited. I was rather intrigued by the note of the change in Palm's tone regarding it's performance in it's latest analyst phone conference... almost berating itself for failing to perform rather than their usual parade of excuses. Frankly, I think Colligan should have been one of the 10%.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast