Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    For $100 no phone can beat the value of the centro. No other phone OS has the # of apps that palm does. As far as multi tasking goes, if you need to listen to streaming music over bluetooth while reading a PDF document over the net while also receiving GPS directions, maybe you're the one with the problem, not the phone.

The biggest drawback of the palm os is that it doesn't look awesome. That doesn't bother me because awesome graphics/animations = sluggish navigation. Short of the iphone I don't believe there's a better phone on the market.
  2.    #22  
    Great point by point rebuttal, dkirker! I appreciate the time you put into your post. I think your comments are careful and factual, and you do make a strong argument.

However, as I stated previously, if the POS suffered from only a few of these drawbacks, my position would be different. The real killer, though, is the combination of all of them! This is almost 2008 folks!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkdamark View Post
    For $100 no phone can beat the value of the centro.
    #1. The Centro does not cost $100, more like $300. If we want to talk price after subsidies, I got my device for $50.

No other phone OS has the # of apps that palm does.
    #2. You apparently have not been exposed to the world of WM or of Java recently. If you had, you would not make such a patently ridiculous statement. As the number of POS developers has dropped precipitously, the number of Java, WM and other developers has soared.

As far as multi tasking goes, if you need to listen to streaming music over bluetooth while reading a PDF document over the net while also receiving GPS directions, maybe you're the one with the problem, not the phone.
    #3. Enough with the ad hominem attacks. If you can't argue facts, don't argue at all. The truth is, when you have a device that you don't have to worry will crash every few minutes, you'd be surprised how much you can get done. Multi-tasking creates efficiency and the individual user gets to determine what that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    Great point by point rebuttal, dkirker! I appreciate the time you put into your post. I think your comments are careful and factual, and you do make a strong argument.
    Thanks!

However, as I stated previously, if the POS suffered from only a few of these drawbacks, my position would be different. The real killer, though, is the combination of all of them! This is almost 2008 folks!
    This is true. I have the feeling that things will change, for the better.

#1. The Centro does not cost $100, more like $300. If we want to talk price after subsidies, I got my device for $50.
    Meh. Price subsidies are weird. No smartphone will ever be affordable. Eventually the cost will make it back to the consumer.

As far as multi tasking goes, if you need to listen to streaming music over bluetooth while reading a PDF document over the net while also receiving GPS directions, maybe you're the one with the problem, not the phone.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to do all of those at once (I am not sure if reading a PDF and getting GPS directions is possible at the same time, since most GPS apps use a map that takes up the entire screen, then again, I don't use GPS on my Treo). I will say that from a developer perspective, many of those tasks being attempted at once may not be possible with the amount of dynamic heap (equivalent to RAM on a PC) and processing power currently available in smartphones today.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to do all of those at once (I am not sure if reading a PDF and getting GPS directions is possible at the same time, since most GPS apps use a map that takes up the entire screen, then again, I don't use GPS on my Treo). I will say that from a developer perspective, many of those tasks being attempted at once may not be possible with the amount of dynamic heap (equivalent to RAM on a PC) and processing power currently available in smartphones today.
    You can certainly get voice directions (from TomTom for example) while reading a web page or e.g. PDF ebook in the passengers seat. On a device like the Tilt with 128 Mb RAM this is not a problem.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I commonly use multiple apps simultaneously like GPS, music streaming/TV slinging, and a third program (Google Maps, contact lookup, Web Browser, et al). The GPS still provides voice prompts (backed by music/TV if streaming/slinging ) while I'm on a different screen. While Palm was never able to do this kind of multi-tasking for me - my Q9m handles it flawlessly even with its anemic processor (312 Mhz). Folks that haven't seen this kind of multi-tasking have no idea how much you can't live without it once you've used it. Just like RSS feeds, Tivo, and the like, you have no idea how much your productivity goes up (or your time wastage goes down) until you experience it first hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    You can certainly get voice directions (from TomTom for example) while reading a web page or e.g. PDF ebook in the passengers seat. On a device like the Tilt with 128 Mb RAM this is not a problem.

Surur
    True. While with my POS Treo I can tether to a laptop for internet, play MP3s to my car stereo, and use TomTom for GPS navigation all at the same time, I wouldn't be able to continue getting those voice navigation prompts if I had to switch to another app.

For me, it's close enough to what I need that I can still avoid Windows Mobile for awhile, but with more and more devices coming out with new features while Palm rests on its laurels, a Palm user starts to get restless.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I commonly use multiple apps simultaneously like GPS, music streaming/TV slinging, and a third program (Google Maps, contact lookup, Web Browser, et al). The GPS still provides voice prompts (backed by music/TV if streaming/slinging ) while I'm on a different screen.
    Of course, these ADD-inducing simultaneous actions never occur while behind the wheel, right?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    Of course, these ADD-inducing simultaneous actions never occur while behind the wheel, right?

Of course not!

But kupe is correct. You don't know the functionality you are missing from POS until you actual use another OS. Such multi-tasking becomes second nature and not in the least bit out of the ordinary.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    I commonly use multiple apps simultaneously like GPS, music streaming/TV slinging, and a third program (Google Maps, contact lookup, Web Browser, et al). The GPS still provides voice prompts (backed by music/TV if streaming/slinging ) while I'm on a different screen. While Palm was never able to do this kind of multi-tasking for me - my Q9m handles it flawlessly even with its anemic processor (312 Mhz). Folks that haven't seen this kind of multi-tasking have no idea how much you can't live without it once you've used it. Just like RSS feeds, Tivo, and the like, you have no idea how much your productivity goes up (or your time wastage goes down) until you experience it first hand.
    Thanks. Having never done GPS before, I was not aware of the functionality. Time to start playing around with GPS.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Why not? I wouldn't recommend searching Google at 75mph on the interstate, but I'm also not stuck with one-program-at-a-time when I'm at a stop light either.
    Why not? I wouldn't recommend searching Google at 75mph on the interstate, but I'm also not stuck with one-program-at-a-time when I'm at a stop light either.
    Not meaning to take anything away from WM (or any other OS) at all, but driving while distracted laws are agnostic about what OS your device is running. However, the more potential for distraction within the use of an OS will ultimately support VT's study on this subject as well as DC's ever-escalating conviction rate. http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1...,mpdcNav,|.asp
    However, the more potential for distraction within the use of an OS will ultimately support VT's study on this subject as well as DC's ever-escalating conviction rate. http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1...,mpdcNav,|.asp
    Yeah - you effectively can't contest a DC traffic violation. In DC's draconian traffic court system, you need to pre-pay your fine, plus an additional administrative fee (generally equal to your fine), then you await the results of the traffic board, but cannot be present there yourself to testify. If you have the ticket overturned, you get your fine money back (~3 months later), but contribute the administrative fee. It's only worth while for insurance rates or to get points back on your license, otherwise it's a complete monetary rip-off and violation of your rights.
    Yeah - you effectively can't contest a DC traffic violation. In DC's draconian traffic court system, you need to pre-pay your fine, plus an additional administrative fee (generally equal to your fine), then you await the results of the traffic board, but cannot be present there yourself to testify. If you have the ticket overturned, you get your fine money back (~3 months later), but contribute the administrative fee. It's only worth while for insurance rates or to get points back on your license, otherwise it's a complete monetary rip-off and violation of your rights.
    Unfortunately, a number of other states led the charge for this kind of kangaroo court. 'Distraction' isn't quite as black-and-white as driving without a seatbelt, but the dangerous driving actions themselves are what support this non-tax tax/cashcow.

Digital has its downside in making its trail perfectly obtainable where the State is concerned and coordinating location, downloads, phonecalls, etc with the timing of the driving pattern for which the driver is ticketed. Quite the double-edged sword. This is one reason why I support disallowing the carriers having retroactive immunity for abuse of customer records.
    Prediction: It will be 2012 before there will be an iPhone that can get access to cellular high speed in as many places as Sprint or Verizon offer EvDO in 2008.

It should be interesting to see what comes first: the end of the Mayan calendar (Dec. 23, 2012) or high speed for the iPhone clear across America. I bet it's here by Christmas, 2012.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I commonly use multiple apps simultaneously like GPS, music streaming/TV slinging, and a third program (Google Maps, contact lookup, Web Browser, et al). The GPS still provides voice prompts (backed by music/TV if streaming/slinging ) while I'm on a different screen.>>>

Yep, that's what i've been missing. You nailed it. I'm switching right away..lol
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Thin is still in for 2008. While the business market will continue to be dominated by Blackberry we can see some realy competition heating up in the consumer market. The line between a regular phone and a smarthpone will be blurring - all cell phones will carry some function that previously could only be found in smartphones. Good luck in 2008 Treo.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    thin is still in? Let's hope not..
  19.    #39  
    It sucks to be right. Will Plam rise form the ashes? Tune in next year.

I came across this quote by some very optimistic fellow. It is quite characteristic of the misplaced confidence I and many others have had in Plam (yes, Plam!) over the years:

"Once Palm finishes their next-generation Linux operating system the situation will be different. At that point, Palm may leapfrog everybody out there."

Fat chance! Plam's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory is legendary. They squandered the lead Handspring gave them with the Treo line and now they're saying its going to be at least a year before the new Plam OS is ready and then months after that before they deliver new devices based on new OS!

People, the Plam corpse has been rotting for a long time now. The end is inevitable and the conclusion foregone. When compared with what's out there, even some not-so-smart phones, Frankie (Frankengarnet) just feels and is completely clunky and outdated. I do not see how any executive in their right mind could think that they could depend upon Frankie to take them through all of 2008.

Since I'm in the mood for prognosticating, here are some predictions to chew on:

1. The iPhone (I know it's alot of eye candy and marketing overhyped goobledee****) is a force to be reckoned with. When compared with the first Treo releases, this platform has had a phenomenal start. With the 3G release scheduled for next year and the promise of more 3rd party apps, it will only mature and gobble up market share.

2. WM6 (despite you naysayers) is a very good, very fast, very versatile OS - far better than Frankie could ever be. Watch for Windows devices to proliferate the market.

3. After the debacle with the Fooleo with the concomitant wasted development resources and the latest quarter's abyssmal numbers, I think either Plam will be taken over or Ed will be given the boot he so richly deserves. It's time for a change.

4. Unfortunately, like those really bad "horror" movies of the 80's, Plam will not stay dead; it will stay around to haunt us for a few more sequels. This might be the one case where I would be for euthanasia and lead coffins.

'Nuff said.

Feel free to add your own predictions or criticize mine!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12