Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I just wanted to inform everyone here that the company that Palm contracts to be their phone customer service and sales just laid off over 100 people the Friday before Chrstmas. This is just a FYI so no nasty replies please. It is just another reason I will not purchase Palm products anymore. If you have ever received sub par service from "Palm" it is because Palm continues to do business with companies like this.

Anyways I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    This is not a nasty reply so please don't that it that way.

But companies lay people off all the time. Palm also laid people off not too long ago. I think the only company that comes to mind that is adding more people then it lays off is Apple Computer, Inc.

Also, I bet that is also because Palm is selling more smartphones which means support goes carrier first and Palm second unlike handheld only devices.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy holidays all!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Hey my friend, not everyone is laying off. According to Mobility Today RIM is adding 1,000 jobs this next year. And besides when a company lays off to make themselves more profitable then things can't be that good. Just ask those folks up in Detroit right now. I just wanted people to know that Palm supports a company that would lay people off the Friday before Christmas. I know that Palm is not directly involved with the layoffs of these people but by continuing to do business with them I feel they indirectly support it. I actually quit using palm a long time ago just because of their inadaquate OS not because of this incident. I mean how long have Treo/Palm users been waiting for their new OS? If you want simplicity go with a BlackBerry, if you want to be able to hack and really customize your OS go Windows Mobile Pro. And watch out cause when iPhone starts to let 3rd parties start to develop Palm may be left in the dust. Ive always been amazed how Palm users have been so loyal to a company that doesnt think about their users when they release new product. Remember the 680 release? No new OS. Absolutely no built in WiFi and all the problems users had when it was first released. No 3G data. And the new patch takes away Blackberry connect.

Anyways, my inital thread was just suspossed to be a FYI. Ill stop here and wish you all my best and have a Merry Christmas.
    To the OP, a couple of things:

Name of the company?

I mean honestly, this is your first post here at TC and you're saying that "Palm supports a company that would lay off people the Fri before x-mas", which in corporate America is not exactly surprising (I'm also not sure Palm intentionally supports or looks to hire companies who fire employees before Christian holidays).

But what is the name of the company? Did you ever think that maybe as people who buy Palm products they might want to complain to Palm to try and change things? Or maybe call the company in question and try something? There is probably a good chance some share holders are here too. That's usually how these things work.

Without this, how do we even know any of this is real? Like I said, it wouldn't be shocking, but some evidence or info might be valuable.

And not to be cynical, but here in the U.S. good luck finding people who care about employees. I'm a union worker who's had people tell me to my face during an employer "lock out" they support us, it's horrible, etc. and then cross the picket line. I'm not sure what hope for sympathy the "invisible" workers in our society have, especially when we don't have any information to voice our disdain.

ps loved how this shifted from "the poor workers" to yet another "why palm phones and their OS sucks" thread. clever.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    From the way they sound, the Palm tech support is located in India and probably don't care that much about Christmas.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Hope you also don't shop at WalMart!! They are so greedy, they have tons of cash, yet sued an employee over her lifetime care settlement! Because they claim they have a right to be paid back for the insurance they provided her. Even if that's legal or whatever, how can such a rich company, knowing she needs that money for long term care, be so heartless?

If that doesn't smack of overbearing corporate greed and indifference/uncaring of employees, then what does?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer T View Post
    I just wanted people to know that Palm supports a company that would lay people off the Friday before Christmas.
    Would it have been better if they waited until the Friday after Christmas? As one who has been laid off before, I can tell you that layoffs suck. It doesn't matter if it's the Friday before Christmas or if it's the Friday before July 4th.
    Sorry to hear that. Don't know what to say. :/
    To the OP

What is Palm suppose to do, or any other company that needs to down size to stay in business?

I will continue to buy and use Palm products.

It appears that you don't really know how a business operates.

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    To the OP

What is Palm suppose to do, or any other company that needs to down size to stay in business?

I will continue to buy and use Palm products.

It appears that you don't really know how a business operates.

It appears that you assume that gross mismanagement is the corporate norm. Layoffs do not occur under forward-thinking management, except in the case where 100% of their business is tied to a single contract. Tho, again, this would be another example of gross mismanagement. Enjoy your dinosaur.
    I have to agree somewhat. Layoffs are usually due to loss of income caused by mistakes and miscalculations of the MANAGEMENT. They just make the employees pay for the management's mistakes.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Hope you also don't shop at WalMart!! They are so greedy, they have tons of cash, yet sued an employee over her lifetime care settlement! Because they claim they have a right to be paid back for the insurance they provided her. Even if that's legal or whatever, how can such a rich company, knowing she needs that money for long term care, be so heartless?

If that doesn't smack of overbearing corporate greed and indifference/uncaring of employees, then what does?
    I am with ya on WalMart. My wife contributes to their takeover and we argue about it from time to time.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I think when Palm eventually closes shop and they lay everyone off, we would have no doubt it was due to management incompetence. These piecemeal lay-offs are just the same in smaller quantities.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 12/23/2007 at 09:49 AM.
    This is just a FYI so no nasty replies please.
    Hey my friend, not everyone is laying off. According to Mobility Today RIM is adding 1,000 jobs this next year. And besides when a company lays off to make themselves more profitable then things can't be that good. Just ask those folks up in Detroit right now. I just wanted people to know that Palm supports a company that would lay people off the Friday before Christmas. I know that Palm is not directly involved with the layoffs of these people but by continuing to do business with them I feel they indirectly support it. I actually quit using palm a long time ago just because of their inadaquate OS not because of this incident. I mean how long have Treo/Palm users been waiting for their new OS? If you want simplicity go with a BlackBerry, if you want to be able to hack and really customize your OS go Windows Mobile Pro. And watch out cause when iPhone starts to let 3rd parties start to develop Palm may be left in the dust. Ive always been amazed how Palm users have been so loyal to a company that doesnt think about their users when they release new product. Remember the 680 release? No new OS. Absolutely no built in WiFi and all the problems users had when it was first released. No 3G data. And the new patch takes away Blackberry connect.

Anyways, my inital thread was just suspossed to be a FYI. Ill stop here and wish you all my best and have a Merry Christmas.
    Hey, I'd say take your own advise from your first post, which, though sounding nice, was meant as a ploy to tick off people here. Your next post showed your real colors.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I think when Palm eventually closes shop and they lay everyone off, we would have no doubt it was due to management incompetence. These piecemeal lay-offs are just the same in smaller quantities.

Surur
    The management (old) will be on the layoff list soon.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22328613/site/140
    On the Yahoo message boards the standing joke is that Palm's shares will gain $2 just from Ed going.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Hey, I'd say take your own advise from your first post, which, though sounding nice, was meant as a ploy to tick off people here. Your next post showed your real colors.
    There was nothing defamatory about his post, as it laid out the OS's in pretty simple, factual terms. Though history can be ugly, finger-pointing those who speak to it tells more about the the obliqueness of the fanbase than anything else.
    All companies should lay-off the employees that need to be right before christmas. Just because there is a Christian holiday should not preclude a company from firing an individual that doesn't meet expectations or the company is unable to pay. Christmas is no different than any other day for the most of us. If anyone it is the Pagans you should be consoling since the Christians stole their holiday and made it their own eventhough christ wan not born in the winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

I agree with Wal-mart here. If you allow one employee to "steal" then you only set precedent for all others to follow. You need to set an example so that others will not do the same and bring down the company.

If anyone, you all should be complaining about Google. They are on the verge of bringing down many companies by offering "free" products. How can a company compete with a $0 product?
    The woman didn't win so she could spend the money on a car and house. It was for medical care. She's badly disabled and also unable to comprehend much of what happens around her. She will be in need of nursing home care. Her judgement was won fair and square and wasn't intended for frivolous usage. WalMart's acting like she was able-bodied and going to run off to Mexico to party!

To snatch money from someone who actually NEEDS it for medical care, when you have tons of money already and already chump change employees is just GREED and over use of power!! Why they needed to be so heavy handed on that particular woman is beyond me! What they could have done was entered the lawsuit against the trucking company with her to get their money they supposedly are owed. Or agreed on a small settlement from her.

As for Google, just cause it's a free product don't make it good! Often the other way around, LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast