1.    #1  
    HI, I JUST READ THIS ON THE NY TIMES:

APPARENTLY THE FOLEO IS NOT DEAD, IT WILL BE COMING BACK SOON, WITH A NEW OPERATING PLATFORM, ALONG WITH THE NEXT GENERATION TREO.

READ THE FORTH PARAGRAPH FROM THE BOTTOM.

IT IS FAR MORE INTERESTING THAN THE INFO ABOUT PALM SUFFERING AN EXPECTED LOSS FOR THE 1/4.

BTW HAVE A HAPPY AND HEALTH HOLIDAY SEASON TO ALL, JAY

December 18, 2007
    Palm Swings to Fiscal Loss
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Filed at 6:11 p.m. ET

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Palm Inc. swung to a loss in the fiscal second quarter amid withering competition from consumer electronics rivals.

The maker of the Treo smart-phone said Tuesday it lost $9.63 million, or 9 cents per share, on revenue of $349.63 million in the three months ended Nov. 30.

In the year-ago period, Palm earned $12.77 million, or 12 cents per share, on revenue of $392.91 million.

Excluding one-time items such as stock-based compensation expenses and nearly $1 million in restructuring charges, the Sunnyvale-based company said it would have lost $7.84 million, or 7 cents per share.

On that basis, which does not comply with generally accepted accounting principles, analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected the company to lose even more -- $8.5 million, or 8 cents per share -- on sales of $350.29 million.

Palm said it expected to lose $30 million to $33 million, or 31 to 33 cents per share, on revenue of $310 million to $320 million in the current quarter. On an adjusted basis, it expects to lose $7 million to $10 million, or 14 to 16 cents per share.

Palm stock closed Tuesday at $5.93, up 28 cents or 5 percent before the release. After the quarterly report came out, it lost another 48 cents in extended trading.

Palm's fiscal second-quarter loss capped months of executive churn and other disappointments at Sunnyvale-based Palm. Last quarter Palm finalized a recapitalization plan, began selling a lower-priced smart phone and canceled the release of a mobile companion product.

The smart-phone pioneer has also been struggling amid toughening competition -- most notably from Cupertino-based Apple Inc., which began selling its iPhone in late June.

''It's a transformational time so things could be a bit lumpy, but we'll do our best to manage through that,'' Palm President and CEO Ed Colligan acknowledged in a conference call Tuesday. ''Ultimately we have to deliver and retake the mantle of leadership for design and execution.''

In October, the company completed a deal to sell a 27 percent stake of to private equity firm Elevation Partners and pay a special $9-per-share dividend to shareholders.

The deal brought in a former Apple senior vice president of hardware engineering, Jonathan Rubinstein, as chairman. It also added Elevation Partners' Fred Anderson and Roger McNamee to Palm's board, replacing Eric Benhamou and Bruce Dunlevie.

In September, Palm debuted a slimmer, lighter, cheaper smart phone, the Centro. The new model became available in October through Sprint Nextel Corp. for $100 with a two-year service plan and is expected to be available soon from other carriers as well.

Palm said Tuesday that smart phone revenue totaled $282.4 million last quarter.

Palm decided not to release its Foleo mobile companion product last quarter, and executives said they would instead concentrate on a next-generation platform and smart phones. The company said it plans to make a version of the Foleo that is based on the next-generation platform instead.

Analysts said last quarter was so tumultuous that they're looking to the fiscal third-quarter to determine whether Palm is back on track.

''Much hinges on the timeline for introduction of the next generation platform and products and whether Elevation Partners can push Palm back to a leadership position in the rapidly evolving mobile computing market,'' JP Morgan analyst Paul Coster wrote in an investor note.

Coster anticipated solid quarter-over-quarter growth in Palm's fiscal third quarter but thinks the company could experience a seasonal slowdown going into its fourth quarter.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I guess the issue is when will the next-generation platform be here? I'm thinking Feb - May '09 before we see a device on a shelf at sprint/verizon/att/etc....

Of course, they can kick out some WM6 devices and smaller treos (based on the current "old" palm os and wm6) to limp through '08....

I pray they pull an apple (years back) and release some products and take off in '09.... if they have smooth product launches it can happen....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I'm sorry, but I don't see anything to be happy about in that article.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Please one and all correct me if I am wrong!!

The gov. is about to auction off the airwaves that currently are used by the TV networks. These airways will soon be dropped by the TV industry as they switch to HD, which will require the use of some form of advanced signal, such as from satellite or cable.

The industry and gov have already decided that the next generation of hand held and/or wireless devices must all work on the same system, on this "new" air wave frequency. In other words, no more sprint works on their system and not on Verizon etc.

Is that what the new platform will accomplish?

Now that Verizon will allow unlock phones, the short term solution would be to make phones that work on all systems, (which I think exist outside of the USA).

I would think that is why Palm brought in Outside funding and a former exec/designer from Apple.

Please feel free to discuss this and correct me if I am wrong of any of this.

One other question, let us say that the poster above this one is correct, that the new platform would be 2009. Is that the same time frame that is being discussed for the new airwaves, as I mentioned above????

Thanks and I am so sorry for any spelling errors of miss types. I am disabled and typing is not something I do well.

HAPPY HOLIDAY WISHES TO ALL, TAKE CARE, JAY
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I don't think there is any "news" here. I was under the impression that Palm still loved the Foleo idea and was going to re-release it later (much later). And the fact that Palm is working on their "next generation" OS is pretty much not-news.

Other than the financial reports (which I think everyone expected) the one liners about these two items are just standard fair. I think if Palm had anything substantial to say (like the product will be here in the next couple of quarters, or next year) they would have come out and said that. They would talk more about the exciting new product so they could create buzz and get people talking about it both financially and product-wise. The fact that there is very little to say means it's going to be a while, a long while.
    The new airwaves being auctiined off require openess. This will allow anyone to put a phone on the network no longer leaving you tied to providers choices. Google is bidding on this frequency range if that says anything.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you, I did read about google, which I think is a good sign. The more people pushing the envelop, the better for all of us!
    I got excited about this and listened in to the conference call... but i really didnt hear anything from Colligan et al about another Foleo...

Anyway, from the call, Colligan was pretty upbeat about the future products and the progress they have been making with the OS. Ang he was pretty apologetic about the poor performance of the company and recognized the need to improve. The best thing about it is i heard in Colligan's voice and tone the commitment to do better and promised to come up with really next generation from factors and OS and not just imitate what other companies have been doing...

for what it's worth, its the first time i actually believed Colligan was going to do something... he was pretty firm on that commitment... and i will be behind him...

one thing i noticed though is that Palm is pretty much relying on Jon Rubenstein a lot.
    If you like walmart the, yes, google is a good sign. Google is doing to communications what walmart has done to consumer goods.
  10.    #10  
    Only time will tell BTW I do not shop in Walmart and have not for over 3 years, as they treat their employees like cr@#$p and they do not follow the Americans with disabilities act. there si junk and pallets all over the aisles, almost impossible to shop there. When I took pics with my Treo of the problems, they chased me out of the store, (also illegal).
    ok, only cause I can say it and get it out my system...

If Palm's next OS is built "right" and the cellular components are a seperate and plugin-able piece to the OS, then its very possible that the Foleo 2 can come before June of next year. This hinges on a ton of things, but mainly that the OS was built to be *that* flexible. Whether Palm can do it or not remains to be seen, but if they can, they could conceivable reinvorgate the PDA/mobile internet device side of the market while priming the kind of Treo that will make them (and us) happybeans.

EDIT: this artcle says nothing about the Foleo that was not said days after it was announced that it would be discontinued for now.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Far as the airways, I think google wants to ensure they can actually use the service if they don't win the bid. FCC has auction a big of the airways and it sits without a build-out for new services or goes to companies who only use it for their services (closed to everyone else).

Then again, google also has android, so they are looking out for their own interests. Google sells searching, so I'm sure they would almost give a phone way to have more people using it and thus using it for search purposes.

Google is in a great position in terms that it can give stuff away to consumers because they want the consumers to search... while other companies need consumers to buy things. Consumers like free. Businesses foot the bill at google.

Anyway, Foleo has been talked about to death.... obviously, palm needs to come in with a nice product that is priced just right.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    If Palm's next OS is built "right" and the cellular components are a seperate and plugin-able piece to the OS, then its very possible that the Foleo 2 can come before June of next year. This hinges on a ton of things, but mainly that the OS was built to be *that* flexible. Whether Palm can do it or not remains to be seen, but if they can, they could conceivable reinvorgate the PDA/mobile internet device side of the market while priming the kind of Treo that will make them (and us) happybeans.
    Regardless of Palm being able to do this, they have shown no sign up to now of wanting to do this. Separate Foleo/OS and POS/Linux teams remember (were there any decisions relating to the Foleo, excluding the ultimate one, that didn't reek of Homer's perfect car?)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Regardless of Palm being able to do this, they have shown no sign up to now of wanting to do this. Separate Foleo/OS and POS/Linux teams remember (were there any decisions relating to the Foleo, excluding the ultimate one, that didn't reek of Homer's perfect car?)
    SAN FRANCISCO—Palm still plans on bringing out a new Foleo device as a companion to its Palm OS smartphones, but isn't saying anything more about the timing.
    Joe Fabris, wireless solutions director for Palm, said on the sidelines at the CTIA Wireless I.T. & Entertainment show this week that the Foleo development had detracted from the work that needed to be done on the upcoming Palm Linux OS. He said both devices will have the same operating system. No dates have been announced, but it likely will be 2008 before a new Palm OS-based handset is ready.
    (10/25/07)

From what I understand, they killed the Foleo precisely because it was a different OS and taking away resources from the next-gen one.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Makes perfect sense since Mac will be releasing a sub-note book and is working on touch screen, while Palm is still trying to get an OS working.
    "Teacher says every time a stock market bell rings, Palm stock loses value."
    -- Zuzu Bailey