Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Some more choice quotes about it on Cnet:
    The layoffs would mark the third round of significant cuts at the company this year, which has been tough for the technology industry and especially for Palm.

During the first half of the year, Palm laid off about 500 employees in two rounds of cuts. As of July 27, the company had 1,311 employees, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing...

Delays in wireless handhelds and other products...also led industry watchers to wonder whether the company has lost its ability to innovate and lead the market.

"The company has given the impression that it's grown paralyzed and complacent," IDC analyst Kevin Burden said.

Meanwhile, competitors...are stepping into the limelight with new products.

Palm shares slipped 42 cents...to close at $3.45, well below their 52-week high of $57.56.
    huh...interesting on the date part /

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Some more choice quotes about it on Cnet:

huh...interesting on the date part /

"CEO Ed Colligan does not appear to be among those who will be laid off, at least yet. It's hard to see how fewer people will make it easier for Palm to create something new, but the company doesn't really have a choice if it wants to stay in business. It's really sad to see a company that has played such a pivotal role in the advancement of mobile computing on the brink like this."

Simply pathetic. All thanks to Ed Colligan, the incompetent court jester for running a sound business idea straight into the grave. A complete frickin *****.

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-983...l?tag=nefd.top
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/12/2007 at 09:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    the date could be a misprint.
    lol, it could but it isn't

The cnet story is so laughable that it is not even funny. It was clearly written by someone who has never run a business before.

As much as I hate to see people losing their jobs right before the holidays, Ed and Jon did exactly the right thing by shaking up the company at this time. It is not how many employees a company has that is important....it is how many right employees that it has that counts.

Hats off to the Palm management team for making the tough decisions.
    The end is near.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    The end is near.
    Uh huh, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

I think you missed the irony of the 2001 Cnet article--where they are saying the exact same things then as now.

Out of curiosity, what is Palm supposed to be doing when re-structuring and refocusing? I was under the impression you are supposed to cut unnecessary jobs, cinch the belt and hire for positions for your new core. Guess I was wrong, they should just continue as the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    The cnet story is so laughable that it is not even funny. It was clearly written by someone who has never run a business before.
    Please explain, I'm curious.

Also, explain how something is "so laughable it's not funny". That's quite odd and I never experienced something like that.

I know someone at Palm who said a woman by the name of Rachel has stepped down. head of advertising or something. Things are a changing for sure. The writing is on the wall.
    I disagree with Rome. I think Ed and Jon may want to fire THEMSELVES. The ones in control are the ones really dragging the company down IMO. But of course CEOs and other top execs act like Gods and never admit they did anything wrong. They just fire those below them who have never had a real say over anything! It's always funny to me how employees often pay the price for bad MANAGEMENT decisions!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Uh huh, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

I think you missed the irony of the 2001 Cnet article--where they are saying the exact same things then as now.
    Not exactly. One of the major factors in Nov 2001 was stiff competition from Sony and Handspring. Since then, Sony dropped out of the Palm race and Palm purchased Handspring (and inherited Ed!). With their toughest competition removed, in 2007 Palm's only reason for such dismal performance is a lack of leadership/vision.

Out of curiosity, what is Palm supposed to be doing when re-structuring and refocusing? I was under the impression you are supposed to cut unnecessary jobs, cinch the belt and hire for positions for your new core. Guess I was wrong, they should just continue as the same.
    The most appropriate re-structure/refocus approach would be replacing the leadership that single-handedly put them in this position. Good company leaders don't make these kinds of tough decisions after the situation is in the toilet - they make these sorts of tough decisions in anticipation of when they're needed. Palm's leadership is reactive instead of proactive. They have earned a no-confidence vote. No one's at the helm of the ship so they're setting crew adrift in hopes that the ship will steer straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnet
    The hardware look and feel of the Treo has grown stale against thinner models, and there still hasn't been a major update to the Palm OS since 2004, an eternity in this industry.
    Leadership (or lack thereof), plain and simple.
    And meanwhile, HTC is capturing Palm's lost marketshare.
    I'd say it's pretty improbable i'll be investing in palm anymore. Looks like the Centro was it. Still like the 3rd party apps though

But wow..i see the advertising for the Centro and they just don't get it...
    I agree Kupe! It is the people at the top messing up Palm and no one else! Laying off employees is a smokescreen to make it look like they're trying to get things in order when in reality, THEY are the problem themselves!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Sorry that it took him doing that, they should have known it all along. I wonder what the result of that was? Was he able to get them to work with their asian partners to make the Centro better than what it would have been? Maybe it was just going to be lipstick-on-a-pig, the same OS problems in a slightly smaller package. Reports are instead hopeful that they may have solved some of the 700p and even 755p problems on the Centro. If they were able to turn the product around since June and still release it, maybe that's the arse-kickin' they needed. It takes so long to release a new product, that there must be temptations to delay a release to fix problems, or release and worry about it later. The third option, of fixing the problems ASAP and still releasing it might bode well. PS- I hope Marc Blank wasn't canned!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Well this should help speed up the process of fixing all the bugs and releasing a new OS next year!
    Next year projected again? How long have we heard "next year, we'll see something"?

They already have WM6.1 samples out! Palm is WAY too slow in getting out a new OS! No samples, NOTHING to show from Palm about their supposed new OS!!

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...-100-pictures/

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Next year projected again? How long have we heard "next year, we'll see something"?

They already have WM6.1 samples out! Palm is WAY too slow in getting out a new OS! No samples, NOTHING to show from Palm about their supposed new OS!!

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...-100-pictures/
    ZOMG!!! Exclamations!!!!

By the time 6.1 hits the market, it'll be the 1 year mark from 6.0 to 6.1 and if you think adding a sliding notifications menu & threaded SMS* was worth it...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I agree Kupe! It is the people at the top messing up Palm and no one else! Laying off employees is a smokescreen to make it look like they're trying to get things in order when in reality, THEY are the problem themselves!!
    I'll be honest, none of us work for Palm so quarterbacking what the company should do from our keyboards is an easy task, but we don't know all we need to know to make these decisions.

It's now confirmed by the WSJ that these layoffs are part of Rubenstein's reorganization plan and therefore should be welcomed--afterall, everyone on these boards have been howling for "change" for years now, yet as soon as they do, labels of incompetence are thrown around. If the new board members and investors think Ed and team should go, they will be in the best position to decide that and not us. Palm's internal changes are just starting...

So crazy idea: lets wait and see what happens with the reorganization, see what changes occur and check back in 12 months? Because to expect huge results before then is quite naive.

And yes Divia, creating a new OS is hard. It took ALP a good 3+ years and they barely have anything to show; Android was bought over 2 years ago by Google and is just seeing the light of day. Where is "Photon" which was supposed to be released in 2008? Welcome your WM 6.1 as a temporary stop-gap...

* MS took 3 years since WM5 hit the market (more if you count development) to add this somewhat basic feature. Awesome.

So crazy idea: lets wait and see what happens with the reorganization, see what changes occur and check back in 12 months? Because to expect huge results before then is quite naive.

And yes Divia, creating a new OS is hard. It took ALP a good 3+ years and they barely have anything to show; Android was bought over 2 years ago by Google and is just seeing the light of day. Where is "Photon" which was supposed to be released in 2008? Welcome your WM 6.1 as a temporary stop-gap...

* MS took 3 years since WM5 hit the market (more if you count development) to add this somewhat basic feature. Awesome.
    I think the point a lot of people are making (and I am one of them) is that in 12 months the market is going to be very different. Second/Third generation smart phones are going to be out by all the competitors (blackberry, apple, etc.) A simple update or new version of the Treo will look pale against them. And if it take Palm 24 months or longer they better have a neural interface because anything less than stellar will be it. And no new products in the next 18 months is going to be a big hit on revenues.
    While there was great enthusiasm over the low price-point of the Centro, it was painfully obvious to at least some of us that a success for the Centro might actually be quite bad for Palm by gutting sales of higher margined Treo's... and so, here it is...
    The company said other factors behind the sales shortfall were an unforeseen increase in warranty repair expenses and HIGHER-than-expected shipments of its low-priced Palm Centro smart phone, which cut into profit margins.
    Can't say they were forewarned... about any of this... Palm continually seems to be blindsided by trends and circumstances that are so obvious to any outside observer...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    While there was great enthusiasm over the low price-point of the Centro, it was painfully obvious to at least some of us that a success for the Centro might actually be quite bad for Palm by gutting sales of higher margined Treo's... and so, here it is...

Can't say they were forewarned... about any of this... Palm continually seems to be blindsided by trends and circumstances that are so obvious to any outside observer...
    But it's a completely double edged sword. What's better:
    • Sell fewer high-end Treos to a growing market for higher profit
    • Sell more cheaper Centros to a growing market for less profit

I would think in the long term, brand identity in the marketplace and increased exposure would pay off better than selling fewer and fewer "more expensive" Treos. The Treo 500v is a Palm device in name only but it server to expand their brand deeper into the market. (Actually, the worst scenario would have been if the Centro tanked...)

I don't think it's unfair to say that most people hold on to cell phones for 2 years and wait for that "carrier discount". If you have a whole new group who enjoys the "Palm experience" and you can get a next-gen product out in those 2 years, that seems like a better plan than just selling 755ps (or some expensive "800p") to a couple of die-hards, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    I think the point a lot of people are making (and I am one of them) is that in 12 months the market is going to be very different. Second/Third generation smart phones are going to be out by all the competitors (blackberry, apple, etc.) A simple update or new version of the Treo will look pale against them. And if it take Palm 24 months or longer they better have a neural interface because anything less than stellar will be it. And no new products in the next 18 months is going to be a big hit on revenues.
    This is true but besides the point. They can't will a new propriety OS into existence and simply licensing out someone else's OS is hardly a long term solution for the company. Just doing an Android device when HTC and everyone else is doing the same wont' save the company.

So this all begs the question: what should Palm do now, regardless of all the past mistakes? I think this is the path to take, but we'll have to wait to see how it pans out. I know, it's hardly exciting.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/13/2007 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast