Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1.    #1  
    this prolly is going to be a huge debate, but im really curious on what the highest rated smartphone would be... im POSITIVE its not an iphone, hell i wouldnt really call an iphone a smartphone really, but what about a touch or a mogul? what yall think..
    i hate idiots... seriously
  2. #2  
    Treo 680
    Treo 750
    Nokia E90/E61i
    iPhone in Febuary.

    Not really in that order. But, IMHO,
  3. #3  
    My personal preference / expectations are:

    Treo (680, 755, ..., except OS they're basically identical)

    iPhone (maybe, if SDK and apps become a reality)

    Nokia N810 (love the touch screen, has a keyboard, and is LINUX... ALP provides FrankenGarnet emulator)

    I have actually suggested the Centro to folks who want the Palm but balk at the bulkiness. But I really wouldn't consider it for myself because I have a working device (680) and the Centro just doesn't differentiate enough. Palm really needs to start innovating again. I hope they can, but I'm losing the will to wait for them. At this point, if a good modern alternative becomes available I'll be tempted to switch. In this regard, I'm really starting to consider the Nokia N810 since there is a Garnet emulator available for it (from Access!). For all the saber rattling between them and Palm, Access is actually delivering. I understand that they are also working with NTT to bring out an ALP-based device (or devices)... so even that is coming to fruition now. Hurry up Palm...
  4. #4  
    It depends on what you want to do with it e.g. if you use your smartphone for document creation you want one with a big, high res screen and large keyboard, but if you use it for media playback you would want a large screen and large storage.

    So, what do you want to use it for?

    Surur
  5.    #5  
    well really im talking about a phone that can pull off all of the above without having any major setbacks.. the reason i really dont even look at the iphone is because there really is no way at all to customize it to fit you. it comes the way it is and thats it, no upgrades or nothing.. what you get is what you see... im loving the touch because the sky is the limit with this thing, you cant even change ringtones with the iphone.. tisk tisk, anyway back to the bigger picture i guess you have a point when it comes to doing multiple document creations.. even though i found the touch's on screen keyboard to work fairly well for me.. i guess it really does just depends on peoples tastes.. but as of now, i want to know what would you say the best "all of the above" phone thats currently out right now
    i hate idiots... seriously
  6. #6  
    While I absolutely love my Treo 650, I'm about ready to upgrade. I'm holding out for a Centro on GSM (please god, let it be!). So that should tell you what I think is the best right now... If it's not meant to be, I'm eyeing an HTC Touch...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins


    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  7. #7  
    The Imate Ultimate are ugly but pretty high functioning WM phones. When it comes to Symbian phones I think the E90 is on top, despite the profile of the N95.

    Surur
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    While I absolutely love my Treo 650, I'm about ready to upgrade. I'm holding out for a Centro on GSM (please god, let it be!). So that should tell you what I think is the best right now... If it's not meant to be, I'm eyeing an HTC Touch...
    I would tend to agree about the Centro in this case. I originally upgraded to the 680 and the extra RAM made it totally worth it. Much more stable as a device. The centro has that and smaller form factor, which is cool. But now that I'm on a 680 the Centro only offers that over what I have now. And I'm not sure at this stage that I want to validate Palm's blunderings by sending them more $$$. Let them do something innovative (for real, not just smoke/mirrors) before rewarding Colligan again.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue4shizzle View Post
    well really im talking about a phone that can pull off all of the above without having any major setbacks..
    Heh. You might be waiting a while then. Every device sacrifices something. Big screen... no physical keyboard, or a slide-out. Big keyboard... smaller screen, thicker. Take your pick, each one trades off for another. Oh, and let's not even get started about tradeoffs related to battery power...

    Quote Originally Posted by blue4shizzle View Post
    the reason i really dont even look at the iphone is because there really is no way at all to customize it to fit you. it comes the way it is and thats it, no upgrades or nothing.. what you get is what you see...
    I totally agree.... EXCEPT that Apple has the SDK up it's sleeve. Sadly, that's where it still is for now. But when the SDK becomes available, I suspect a whole lot more options are going to come onto the scene. Just look at the customizations and useful things that have already appeared during a time when the device has to be seriously hacked. I'm hopeful that any function gaps present in the as-delivered device can easily be closed by enthusiastic developers. So that's why I consider this one a wait-and-see. Other potential detractors would be EDGE and on-screen keyboard.... but now we're hearing about a 3G version coming, so that is another good reason to hold off. As for the keyboard... I won't worry about that until all the other roadblocks are cleared.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue4shizzle View Post
    ... i guess it really does just depends on peoples tastes.. but as of now, i want to know what would you say the best "all of the above" phone thats currently out right now
    As an overall device? I'd still say PalmOS Treo (FrankenGarnet 5.4.x). Yeah, it's old, it's not modern... but it's so much more usable than anything else and has applications coming out of it's pores to resolve most deficiencies in the as-shipped platform (e.g. VersaMail... yuk).

    I see iPhone and N810 as future hopefuls -- but at least they EXIST. I dare not comment on Palm since they don't bother to tell us what's really going on, so I guess we wait like happy mushrooms until the end of 2008 and see if they don't delay again.
  10.    #10  
    idk about that palmOS treo taroliw.. i looked up a lot of info on the centro and i mean honestly.. the centro has everything that any of the palm treos plus more software as well.. as an employee of sprint i was talking on the phone with tech support for a while weighing out the pros and the cons on the two devices to figure out jus what exactly was the real difference between the obvious size and the price on them.. and to our suprise it really boiled down to the fact that the centro has EVERYTHING plus MORE.. AND it turned out to be slightly faster than the treo.. now the odd question is why would the centro be so much cheaper?? who knows.. i mean why would anyone pay 5 almost 6 hundred dollars flat out or 250 for a treo, when you can pay flat out or 100 for a centro that turns out to be more productive and stylish? and whats the big drawback with the touch? i was sure that phone would have popped up in the argument.. i mean out of all the phones ive tried out id definately put the touch out there as one of the better devices.. the on screen keyboard isnt as big a setback as you may think, i realized everyone that downs the touch's on screen keyboard are the ones who in fact havent owned one.. as some stated already, who had previously owned treos, they found that the touch's keyboard was just as effective and they were able to type just as fast if not quicker
    i hate idiots... seriously
  11. #11  
    Treo 700p

    Despite a few minor things this is the best smartphone, IMO (I'd probably say 755p, but I have not had the chance to use one).

    Though, my opinion might change...
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  12. #12  
    755p for me, can't wait for the next one..who knows what may happen.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  13. #13  
    Create a List of the Current Top 10 Phones w/Links to Specs

    Include a way for Votee (1 Vote Only) to check what phone he/she has (1 of 10 or other) so it possibe to see the bias. To view results, you must vote First.

    The links can help create an informed voting public.

    Then let readers Vote and see how they compare to Round Robin.

    Fast Frank
    FastFrank
  14. #14  
    Currently, the Centro is the best...for my needs. And that's what it all comes down to...your needs.

    Or even your wants.

    Personally, i'm a visual guy. I like the iphone. I like its wide screen and multimedia output. When it gets a few more features, i'm probably headed there again. The swiping did get old, but in the end, it's still about output and that screen is very nice.

    Right now, the Centro is hard to resist. It's only for a short while most likely. I think 2008 will be a year in which they actually do catch up and pass palm.
  15. d1hamby's Avatar
    Posts
    291 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #15  
    Why don't you just look at Cnet's cell phone review and pick the features you like from that list?

    http://www.cnet.com/4370-13776_1-289-108.html?tag=lnav
  16. #16  
    cnet wants to make me gag these days. Anything apple is news. I've not read a review lately about anything..cameras, printers, phones, etc that used to be like the old days there. I've been on cnet forever.

    It's good for an overview but i always go to better sites for better reviews.

    Going OT..i just got a canon g9 and pro9000 printer to replace some old stuff. Can't wait to use it. CNET wasn't much help and hardly is these days. A 7.8 for that printer?
  17. #17  
    Is this about the best smartphone in the world, or the best in the US. If its the best in the US, of devices available now, I would have to say the AT&T Tilt. It has a largish screen, its thinner than a Treo (and about the same thickness as a Centro), it is very very multi-functional due to the hardware capabilities (WIFI and GPS built-in, can take 8GB memory cards, has a goodish camera, 128 MB RAM, keyboard).

    I think its the best device around at the moment, which is why I bought one.

    One day my Omni will come, and then I'll ditch my Kaiser, but till then its pretty safe in my pocket.

    Surur
  18. #18  
    IMO, it's all about personal use. For me, anything with WM6 and tri-band 3G if you travel internationally and/or domestic 3G if you don't. Wifi and GPS earn extra points.

    There is no ONE, but several good choices. But that's JMO. But I do have to admit the Tilt could replace your laptop on the run, if you don't need to do anything like music editing and stuff like that.

    P.S. How do you use the Omni as a phone? It looks like a mini-computer in that photo. Are you supposed to talk through the speakerphone?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. ktm97's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    #19  
    It depends on too many variables, like which service AT&T, Sprint, etc. then which platform Mac/PC if all the smartphones were available on all networks you could narrow it down. I started with the Treo 600 now on 680
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    P.S. How do you use the Omni as a phone? It looks like a mini-computer in that photo. Are you supposed to talk through the speakerphone?
    Thats why bluetooth was invented, but a bit like the iPhone, you could always hold it like a pancake to your head

    Surur
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions