Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    How are any of you picking treos? And even more unbeilevable a treo 680?

First criteria should be 3g. Best smartphone out there will be a 3g phone. No 680, no iphone.

Other criteria that hasnt been mentioned could possibly be wifi, 3.5mm headphone jack, touch screen, memory, OS, camara etc.

I would have to say the curve should be mentioned. Awesome form factor, its closer to a razor than a treo, 3.5mm headphone jack, native java support, loads of google apps, mini sdhc, opera browser is amazing. 2mp camara (it kind of sucks though, but has flash).

What I wish it had was a touch screen, a better OS, bigger screen, and a much better camara, and of course 3g. Although no 3g on the curve, it has wifi, and can make wifi calls which is a must and my apt does not get any service from any carrier.

And the new att&t tilt is probably the best out there, if his battery can hold up. Big touch screen with a slide out tilting qwerty keyboard, camara, gps, wifi, 3g, etc. It's got it all
    Blackberry, hands down. Lots of folks agree judging by sales numbers both in the US and Internationally. I ditched Treos for Blackberrys, primarily for stability. Once Blackberrys caught up to Treos in features, like camera and external storage, the choice made itself.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdelt View Post
    How are any of you picking treos? And even more unbeilevable a treo 680?

First criteria should be 3g. Best smartphone out there will be a 3g phone. No 680, no iphone.

Other criteria that hasnt been mentioned could possibly be wifi, 3.5mm headphone jack, touch screen, memory, OS, camara etc.

I would have to say the curve should be mentioned. Awesome form factor, its closer to a razor than a treo, 3.5mm headphone jack, native java support, loads of google apps, mini sdhc, opera browser is amazing. 2mp camara (it kind of sucks though, but has flash).

What I wish it had was a touch screen, a better OS, bigger screen, and a much better camara, and of course 3g. Although no 3g on the curve, it has wifi, and can make wifi calls which is a must and my apt does not get any service from any carrier.

And the new att&t tilt is probably the best out there, if his battery can hold up. Big touch screen with a slide out tilting qwerty keyboard, camara, gps, wifi, 3g, etc. It's got it all
    Nokia N95
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Well, the real question to ask is what is the person using the device for? There's such a huge drive for more more more bandwidth. But what are people actually using the extra bandwidth for? I think the biggest driver here is streaming media, but are you really going to be staring at your phone that often to watch entertainment? Maybe, but not me.

Personally, I do about 400-500 MB of data usage a month (on that old crusty EDGE) with predominantly email and IM. Yeah, there's a smattering of web browsing and other lookup activity in there, but 98% of my activity is in those two alone. Do I ever notice that I'm on edge when I'm doing these things? No, not even when I'm having several active IM conversations at once and still hearing notifications from 4 push email boxes.

More isn't necessarily better. It depends on the need. Frankly, I know people in the industry and I was amused to hear that 3G, while a nice marketing push to sell new phones, really hasn't been quite the boom they hoped it'd be. And I don't find myself surprised by it one bit. Bigger bandwidth is a solution looking for a problem.

But hey, at least the carriers have caught on... soon (maybe even before 4G networks start appearing) they will be looking to switch from conventional voice delivery to VoIP. Oh wait... I wonder what will happen to free VoIP calls when that happens. At least they'll have found another use for that bandwidth.

Most of these, except maybe WiFi, are fairly ubiquitous nowadays. Although I would tend to group WiFi into the same camp as 3G (bandwidth glut), it does offer a nice way to reduce dependence upon wireless networks for data traffic. But if I'm looking for big bandwidth to support a media experience, I'm not going to get a very satisfying one on a screen < 30".
    For me, 3G is essential for tethering. GPRS (which is whats mostly available in UK) just wont cut it. Even UMTS is slow, whereas HSDPA is near perfect.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    GPRS (which is whats mostly available in UK) just wont cut it.
    Surur
    ?? I think that we might just about have developed far enough to have 3G in the UK
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    ?? I think that we might just about have developed far enough to have 3G in the UK
    Not if you have an iPhone (haha )

Anyway, I am in UK, and I am saying while in USA EDGE is very prevalent, and offer reasonable speeds of up to 200 Kb/sec, in UK EDGE is rare (except for Orange), so mostly people without 3G phones are stuck at 10-30 kb/sec.

Therefore, to tether in UK a 3G phone is essential, whereas in USA tethering on EDGE may actually be tolerable.

See, the joke is not funny when you have to explain it

Surur
    tethering became too much of a hassle. I got one of them there data cards. Faster and frees up my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    tethering became too much of a hassle. I got one of them there data cards. Faster and frees up my phone.
    You must have a PalmOS phone. With Internet Sharing on WM tethering is dead simple, and you only pay one bill. And on HSDPA you can still receive phone calls even while transferring data.

BTW, my mobile phone plan allows tethering, downloads and streaming, for only 5 more than the normal unlimited plan.

http://www.phones2udirect.co.uk/home/webnwalk.asp

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 12/19/2007 at 12:34 PM.
    Well for me the best smartphone for me right now is the Treo 650 ...that's cause it's already here sitting on my desk and I don't have to shell out any bucks nor waste any time learning how to use it. As many others have said, if I was getting a "new thing", it would depend upon what you want to do with it. In the sticky "most popular Treo Apps" thread, P-Tunes was by far and away the No. 1 most "necessary" app in the Treo users arsenal. So if that usage is "big" for you or if you are a heavy internet user, then it's hard to argue against the iPhone.

My teeth hurt listening to music that comes off any of these devices and I am on the verge of canceling my MediNet service on the 650 cause I just don't use it. Like comedian Joe Rogan, I don't quite understand the concept of text messaging (great show BTW and you can hear his views on text messaging on the 45 second video on the page below
    http://www.sho.com/site/schedules/pr...isodeid=129589

And looking at web pages on a small screen just gets old after a while. Like playing BlueRay movies on a 13" portable TV. The Palm programs I have come in handy now and then but even my mobile phone usage is way down. I don't feel the need to call someone back on my cell phone during the 10 minute drive back to my office when I can hear better, be more comfortable and have the necessary resources at hand to actually provide the information I know the caller is going to want.

So yes, a smartphone is a great tool "in a pinch" but like a swiss army knife, it doesn't do anything as well as the "full size tools". I prefer to sue the full size tools when available for the same reason that no one who works on their car ever uses that little teeny jack, hidden somewhere in the back of their car to actually work on their car except when they stuck on the road. Instead we go out and buy the $29 pump jack which lifts up the SUV in 3 or 4 strokes so changing our oil or rotating tires doesn't take a whole afternoon.

For me the 650 when it came out was like "ooh wow" cause a) it didn't require me to have wires hanging off my head while driving, b) it did many things reasonably well in a swiss army knife kind of way and c) it wasn't as cumbersome as WM alternatives. There's just no feature that has excited me or made me go "ooh wow" in the years since other than a "mini ooh wow" for Safari on the iPhone. It doesn't look like I will be seriously asking this question at least till this time next year.
    Guess it depends on what you need. If you're looking for something thin (I mean fits in your pocket with almost 0 bulge) I'd say go for the Dopod C720W or the C730. Both have WM6 (well if you own anything but the Dopod version of the Excalibur you get it) and function-wise, it does well. If you want something that does everything in a "swiss army knife" kinda way and does it neatly I'd say the 750. It's a little on the bulky side compared to other phones, but it does most of the things well. Personally, customer service is a big thing for me and Palm does service well, especially compared to HTC. I also do a lot of sms cause I can't talk during meetings and a quick message to the secretary, customer, or friend during a meeting is not a hassle on the Treo cause of the threaded sms software it has (can't imagine why no other maker doesn't have something similar).

My list:

Treo 750 (cause I own it and made my choice after a few days of researching what would be suit me the best)
    HTC Touch (never owned one but does look pretty cool)
    HTC C730 (has everything the earlier 720 should've had)
    Treo 650 (it's aging but still a great phone)
    SE M600i (cheapest PDA touchscreen phone available and does BBC well. Symbian and UIQ3 look great and work well. This is great for offices that don't allow phones with cameras)
    SE P1i (essentially an upgrade of the M600i so doesn't justify the price..how much can a camera cost these days anyway?)
    Nokia E90 (it's a brick and over-priced, but very functional)
    Here's my top right now

Palm OS: Centro
    Windows Mobile Professional: Treo 750 OR Tilt (depending on design preference)
    Blackberry: I'll let someone else answer that
    Other: iPhone

I have sold my iPhone, but I must say that if they add 3G, GPS, MMS, and A2DP then I would go back in a heartbeat. And 2 of those requests are software related, plus 3G is supposedly on the way. This is assuming that the SDK is released as promised in 1Q '08.
    Treo 750. I've had the 8525, Blackjack, Curve, and AT&T Tilt since I got the Treo 750, and I've always gone back to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    You must have a PalmOS phone. With Internet Sharing on WM tethering is dead simple, and you only pay one bill. And on HSDPA you can still receive phone calls even while transferring data.

BTW, my mobile phone plan allows tethering, downloads and streaming, for only 5 more than the normal unlimited plan.

http://www.phones2udirect.co.uk/home/webnwalk.asp

Surur
    PalmOS can do that. I use Sprint and don't give a crap about 3G. Since my laptop has an internal sprint card, it's there. It's always on. It's much faster as well. I also don't worry that i'm abusing something since tethering isn't supposedly free on Sprint but people tether anyways using pdanet or whatever.

But like i said, it's nice to have. I've used many Treos to tether many laptops in the past when out and about. The BT connection was too slow. Hooking it up with USB, like i said, was just a small hassle. But it was awesome at the time.

You see, while i appreciate more features and all that, there comes a point where i don't want all of them in on one device. GPS i prefer in a standalone unit. When in the car, i'm talking on the phone or looking for a contact way too often to be using it as a GPS. But i do see where having a GPS could impact other features on the phone in a positive way.

What i'd like to see on future phones is simply better implementations of existing features. Better contacts, better browser, better OS, better email, faster speed, etc. Although i'm a sucker for new ones as well.
    Tethering saved me this morning. Internet down here at home. Laptop at work after working late last night. Had to email a few clients.

Gotta love the Centro..
    I find basically little to no difference in tethering on Palm OS vs Windows--although I can get slightly better speeds on WM. Both are easy to use with something like PDANet.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I'm wondering which smartphone to pick myself. I have used this forum and ppcgeeks in the past for info, but I'm having a hard time choosing. I had a Treo 700WX for a few months early in 2007 and ended up selling it on ebay. Now I have a family member working at Sprint that can sign me up for a 500 minute plan with unlimited data, text, n&w, m2m, etc for $15 per month so it's a no brainer to take that deal especially since I won't be under contract. I can keep my current razr v3m on Alltel at a reduced plan and have a smartphone to carry for work and data for less money than I spend now for just regular cell service.

Is the Sprint 700WX using any different updates than the other carriers? I liked the WX, but I've been looking at the Centro and 755 as well. I'm trying to shy away from the Mogul and Touch because a friend has tried each on Alltel and so far I was unimpressed with the Touch and the 6800/Mogul earpiece volume was too low to hear the other caller.

Luckily I'll be eligible to get a new phone every year at the 2 year price so I'm not locked into whatever phone I get for long. Plus a year should allow for plenty of time for the newer models to hit the stores.

I just fear that I'll get the Palm OS treo and not like it due to my limited experience with the OS. Of course WM isn't a picnic either. Maybe I should just flip a coin.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by purwater View Post
    I'm wondering which smartphone to pick myself. I have used this forum and ppcgeeks in the past for info, but I'm having a hard time choosing. I had a Treo 700WX for a few months early in 2007 and ended up selling it on ebay. Now I have a family member working at Sprint that can sign me up for a 500 minute plan with unlimited data, text, n&w, m2m, etc for $15 per month so it's a no brainer to take that deal especially since I won't be under contract. I can keep my current razr v3m on Alltel at a reduced plan and have a smartphone to carry for work and data for less money than I spend now for just regular cell service.

Is the Sprint 700WX using any different updates than the other carriers? I liked the WX, but I've been looking at the Centro and 755 as well. I'm trying to shy away from the Mogul and Touch because a friend has tried each on Alltel and so far I was unimpressed with the Touch and the 6800/Mogul earpiece volume was too low to hear the other caller.

Luckily I'll be eligible to get a new phone every year at the 2 year price so I'm not locked into whatever phone I get for long. Plus a year should allow for plenty of time for the newer models to hit the stores.

I just fear that I'll get the Palm OS treo and not like it due to my limited experience with the OS. Of course WM isn't a picnic either. Maybe I should just flip a coin.
    Treo 755 is the best smartphone out there at this time, and I would say it has the most stable Palm OS on Treo. If you get the Treo 755 now, by next January, you should be able to get the brand new Treo 900.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    The Tilt was the first phone that made me put down the Treo 750 for good. It's a very nice device.

- Excellent Bluetooth implementation
    - GOOD 3mp camera
    - Nifty GPS that works with Google Maps
    - Sort of stable. (more stable than most WM5 or WM6 devices)
    - 3G
    - Wi-FI (for those that need it). It works better than on the 8525 or the 8125.
    - Excellent battery life. (Much longer than the Treo 750 or the 8525 in my experience)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Hey I am new to this forum and I am not even sure if I am on the right thread, but hear I go:
    I am looking at the treo for my next phone/pda. I had never used a smart phone, but I have been using palm operating system pdas for years. I think it is time I combined phone and pda. I really like palm os for the data input touch screen and familiar features. Am now with AT&T, but considering a move to get a 750 with the palm os. Looking for advice and info. Thanks!!!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast