Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Malatesta;
    You are a sick man. Thanks for the great work.

It's odd: with this new hardware by Inventec, you would think that the OS was "fixed". As I've said before, for a Garnet device, this is as good as it'll get and is near perfection (relatively). It is faster and more stable than a 650, which goes to show that the OS was never really "broke" but the hardware was never optimized properly in the past.
    The iPhone would probably vindicate this statement as it seems to borrow a ton from the palmOS in user flow and interaction, but cleans up a ton. The next Palm OS better be good.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Malatesta;
    You are a sick man. Thanks for the great work.

The iPhone would probably vindicate this statement as it seems to borrow a ton from the palmOS in user flow and interaction, but cleans up a ton. The next Palm OS better be good.
    Thanks, it was a fun exercise is research

Yeah, that's a big question for the next gen OS. They certainly have their work cut out for them and I can't say I'm totally confident it will pan out, but at this point, the sure don't have many options. I seriously consider this a "hail mary pass" for them.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    755 gets approved for VZW. About time but then again a little to late.
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/1...should-launch/
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    It's a TRUE shame that Palm didn't manage to release the Centro in its current form FIRST and then release a 755p with all of the Centro's improvements--better camera (but same resolution), less lag, better BT, NVFS tweaks, DTG 10, PTunes Deluxe etc tweaks, etc etc.

THEN the 755p could really justify its higher price over the Centro. And it'd have made a fitting swan song for Garnet. Well, we can always hold out hope for a 755px later in '08 (LOL!)

I figure the GSM Centro will be to the Treo 680 like the CDMA Centro is to the 755p & 700p. Again, just a SHAME this didn't happen 2 years ago. It's one thing to have an antiquated OS like Garnet but at least make it a stable, snappy, and friendly OS! The Centro indeed proves this is possible but it still might be too little, too late to save Palm...
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Here are some basic differences
    • Higher res camera: 1.3 vs VGA
    • Higher PPI: 221 vs 160 (in fact the Centro has the highest PPI on the market)
    • Faster memory
    • Better/Louder Speakers
    • BT 2.0 + EDR (though POS technically only support 1.2)

This notion that the Centro "is just a 755 in a smaller form factor" is only on paper. In that sense, they look quite the same.

In reality though, very different. The Centro is a internally redesigned Palm phone and its guts are quite "new". This results in a much improved user experience:
    • Better BT (new BT Manager 3.3a + radio hardware)
    • Very sharp screen
    • Fast OS: boots and loads programs faster
    • More stable OS (no crashes, lags, etc.)
    • Surprisingly good battery life (except for those few with some "bug")
    • Loud, clear speaker phone

Then throw in Docs to Go 10, pTunes Deluxe and a bunch of other apps and the device is quite superior. Might not be enough if you just bought a 680--but if you have one of those and switch to the Centro, you'll notice a host of performance improvements.

It's odd: with this new hardware by Inventec, you would think that the OS was "fixed". As I've said before, for a Garnet device, this is as good as it'll get and is near perfection (relatively). It is faster and more stable than a 650, which goes to show that the OS was never really "broke" but the hardware was never optimized properly in the past.
    Thanks... I upgraded from a 650 to a 680 for a mix of reasons--slightly smaller size/internal antenna, double the RAM, SDHC support, but also because I'd thought it would be more stable. Result: only somewhat. So the greater stability is a must-have, or I'd be holding out for ALP, Palm OS II, Android, or something along those lines.

I also hope that the GSM Centro's keyboard is slightly less rubbery than the Sprint model. Not much, because I realize that it needs that feel to work effectively--just a smidge less. That was driving me crazy when I played with a Sprint one. While I'm not wild about the keyboard size or the look of the button layout, I realize that those are tradeoffs that have to be made. I'm also wondering what colors the unlocked GSM model will have (after the whole switch from "colors only available unlocked from Palm" to "colors only available locked from AT&T" with the 680). I went from an unlocked 650 (same colors as the Verizon 650) to an "arctic" unlocked 680 and I want something different. Of the Sprint colors, I definitely prefer the black.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    I guess there's no information about the 800p yet - maybe by midyear 08- I was hoping to keep my 650 until it came out but will need to settle on a 755p.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    I guess there's no information about the 800p yet - maybe by midyear 08- I was hoping to keep my 650 until it came out but will need to settle on a 755p.
    No info. It'll be an interesting question if there will be an 800p. Palm is supposed to update their roadmap for investors soon, I've heard.

I don't know if I can wait that long for a Treo 800p. My Sprint 650 is good for now, but am really thinking about switching to Windows Mobile based on this thread. If the Treo 800w does come with built-in WiFi, the temptation and incentive to switch will be overwhelming! Even with the learning curve! When it comes down to it, I just hope Palm gets with the program and releases the thing with the WM 6.1 OS. That would be groovy!
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Did someone save the GSM Centro article before it was pulled? I somehow missed it entirely...
    Well, you can get bits and pieces being discussed here
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    I don't know if I can wait that long for a Treo 800p. My Sprint 650 is good for now, but am really thinking about switching to Windows Mobile based on this thread. If the Treo 800w does come with built-in WiFi, the temptation and incentive to switch will be overwhelming! Even with the learning curve! When it comes down to it, I just hope Palm gets with the program and releases the thing with the WM 6.1 OS. That would be groovy!
    My guess and just a guess. If there is to be an 800P at all it would be the new form factor but still running Garnet. Going to the way back machine somewhere in the future Treo form I thought that I read that Sprint was going to pass on the 800P. If my memory is correct then I wouldn't hold my breath for one, but thing have changed sooo much since that was posted back in the summer.

If the Centro is any indication an 800P with updated specs and hardware could be a very nice unit to hold people over till the 900P POSII (?) comes out.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Mal.

It seems that your research at the FCC is now being posted by Endaget. We all know where it came from though.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/17/m...00w-uncovered/

Keep up the good work.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    Mal.

It seems that your research at the FCC is now being posted by Endaget. We all know where it came from though.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/17/m...00w-uncovered/

Keep up the good work.
    lol, thanks. yeah saw that this morning, if you click the "Read" link at the bottom it comes back to this thread, which is good enough for me

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    There's actually that Palm could easily do for a Garnet-based 800p to send the ol' OS out with a bang:

1. Faster (400 or 412mhz) CPU
    2. 128mb RAM (like TX), huge DBheap/cache with all of the Centro's NVFS optrimizations
    3. 2.0 megapixel camera (from the 500v)
    4. The latest Garnet BT manager (from the GSM Centro)
    5. 2gb or 4gb internal flash memory (like a beefed up T5). This would go a long way towards making amends for the 4gb memory card capacity of Garnet (128mb internal + 4gb internal flash volume + 4gb in a microSDHC card)
    6. Good build quality w/ rubberized coating like 755p
    7. Latest software bundle (at least as good as Centro's) w/ the promised location fix for Google Maps in ROM
    8. HUGE capacity stock battery--2000mAh minimum. Work with Seidio on this if you have to, Palm!

If Palm were to do even half of these easy suggestions on an 800p they'd have my $ in an instant!!
    9. 3.5mm stereo headphone jack. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    There's actually that Palm could easily do for a Garnet-based 800p to send the ol' OS out with a bang:

1. Faster (400 or 412mhz) CPU
    2. 128mb RAM (like TX), huge DBheap/cache with all of the Centro's NVFS optrimizations
    3. 2.0 megapixel camera (from the 500v)
    4. The latest Garnet BT manager (from the GSM Centro)
    5. 2gb or 4gb internal flash memory (like a beefed up T5). This would go a long way towards making amends for the 4gb memory card capacity of Garnet (128mb internal + 4gb internal flash volume + 4gb in a microSDHC card)
    6. Good build quality w/ rubberized coating like 755p
    7. Latest software bundle (at least as good as Centro's) w/ the promised location fix for Google Maps in ROM
    8. HUGE capacity stock battery--2000mAh minimum. Work with Seidio on this if you have to, Palm!

If Palm were to do even half of these easy suggestions on an 800p they'd have my $ in an instant!!
    9. 3.5mm stereo headphone jack. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!
    It almost begs the question: What ever happened to Palm trying to have parity in hardware between the two OSs?

I think it'd be awesome to throw WM6 on the Centro and others would think it natural to throw Garnet on the 800 hardware (whatever it is). But I wonder if the 700 series proved it to be unworkable?

And even though I agree it'd be cool to have those hardware specs for an "800p", I'm not sure about dealing with all the "" from here and Engadget, lol.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    That was just an exercise in fun speculatio and playing "what if".

I am 90% certain that the GSM Centro is going to definitely be the final Garnet-powered device we see. It's just a shame that we couldn't have gotten some of the nice little fixes that they graced the Centro with on a larger, "real" Treo.

I still immensely prefer the Treo 755p FF over the Centro's...

I think the 700p/700w/700wx debacle proved that the 700x was jack of all OSes and master of none. That (plus the fact that the 800w is waiting in the wings) is PROBABLY also the main reason Palm didn't see fit to try and develop a 755w to replace the 700wx in 2007.

Going back to our earlier discussion here: I would think that the utter lack of a quick "me too" 755w (WM6, 320x320, otherwise same specs as 755p) is basically a total confirmation that the 800w is coming pretty soon-ish.
    If anything the 755w would have been the CDMA version of the 750, with maybe WM6 standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    That was just an exercise in fun speculatio and playing "what if".

I am 90% certain that the GSM Centro is going to definitely be the final Garnet-powered device we see. It's just a shame that we couldn't have gotten some of the nice little fixes that they graced the Centro with on a larger, "real" Treo.

I still immensely prefer the Treo 755p FF over the Centro's...

I think the 700p/700w/700wx debacle proved that the 700x was jack of all OSes and master of none. That (plus the fact that the 800w is waiting in the wings) is PROBABLY also the main reason Palm didn't see fit to try and develop a 755w to replace the 700wx in 2007.

Going back to our earlier discussion here: I would think that the utter lack of a quick "me too" 755w (WM6, 320x320, otherwise same specs as 755p) is basically a total confirmation that the 800w is coming pretty soon-ish.
    Palm most likely did have a 755w as well as a other WM/Palm OS Treos. It is up to the carrier to choose what they want, and then Palm and the carrier(s) work from there towards tuning it for their network.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Wouldn't it be easier on Palm to standardize as much as possible on 320x320 LCDs, though? I mean, once the 750 & 700wx are out of production (700wx probably is already close to EOL), then Palm would be wise to focus on 320x320 for their in-house designed Treos/Centros. Ther 500v, remember, is a rebranded offering so that's sort of out there on its own.
    Quick search on Google news turned up: http://www.intomobile.com/2007/12/17...treo-800w.html

You're getting props all over the Internet!
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    I have heard that Palm maybe moving towards AT&T to replace Sprint as their "First Launch" carrier. This may happen in January 2008.

What does every one think?

January 2008
    AT&T
    Treo 800w

Regards
    Last edited by graylion; 12/19/2007 at 11:17 PM.
    graylion
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast