Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

What will the next AT&T Palm smartphone be, and roughly when? (I'm stuck on AT&T business plan)

If the answer is Centro, what might be after that? I'm concerned about the relatively small screen on Centro. Yes, I know it is same pixels, and my eyes are pretty sharp. But the medical software apps, databases, textbooks, and references I use do have a lot of graphics and touchscreen clicking, and if it gets even smaller on new Centro, it'll be a bit harder to click things accurately. I personally like the size of my Treo 650 screen and the phone overall.

Anyway, what's next and when on AT&T, and if it's Centro, what after that?

-- Josh
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    GSM Centro is my best guess for Q1 '08, followed by a slightly tweaked quad-band US version of the Treo 500 in, say, late Q1 or Q2. After that I wouldn't expect anything else from Palm for a while, unless they bang out a GSM version of the rumored CDMA 800w. I think it's safe to say that the GSM Centro looks to be the only Garnet smartphone released in all of 2008.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    GSM Centro is my best guess for Q1 '08, followed by a slightly tweaked quad-band US version of the Treo 500 in, say, late Q1 or Q2. After that I wouldn't expect anything else from Palm for a while, unless they bang out a GSM version of the rumored CDMA 800w. I think it's safe to say that the GSM Centro looks to be the only Garnet smartphone released in all of 2008.
    At risk of going off on tangent that detracts from thread that I myself started, I gotta ask a dumb question... what the heck is a Treo 500?
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    At risk of going off on tangent that detracts from thread that I myself started, I gotta ask a dumb question... what the heck is a Treo 500?
    -- Josh
    check out this web site from brighthand.com. It's a non touch windows smart phone similar in size to the centro but wider and runs windows smart phone ver 6 interface. Hope the Treo 800w has better looks.

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13529
    At this rate, the next GSM Palm device will arrive shortly after hell freezes over.
  6.    #6  
    Is the delayed "Treo model for a major wireless carrier" in today's Associated Press article a GSM model for AT&T? That's the model I've been hoping would materialize soon. Anyone know if this was going to be a Palm OS Treo 7xxp, 800p, or Centro, or something else entirely? My 650 is on its last legs and I've been waiting patiently for the upcoming AT&T Centro or other imminent Palm OS smartphone. The 680, with about 14 minutes of battery life, will not cut it for the money!
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Is the delayed "Treo model for a major wireless carrier" in today's Associated Press article a GSM model for AT&T? That's the model I've been hoping would materialize soon. Anyone know if this was going to be a Palm OS Treo 7xxp, 800p, or Centro, or something else entirely? My 650 is on its last legs and I've been waiting patiently for the upcoming AT&T Centro or other imminent Palm OS smartphone. The 680, with about 14 minutes of battery life, will not cut it for the money!
    -- Josh
    People were saying it was a delay on AT&T. I think that's rubbish as there is zero evidence to suggest there is some hold up there.

However, it was well known that the 755p was in limbo at Verizon, struggling to clear testing (just who was at fault there, no one knows the details).

The GSM Centro for AT&T, by all accounts, is on schedule. Sprint is reported to have a 90 day exclusive, which ends around January 15th and it is expected that AT&T will launch the Centro soon after (it cleared FCC months ago).

The Treo 500w also cleared FCC for US release but there is no evidence for any GSM carrier having picked it up. All that means though is that we don't know at this point.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The GSM Centro for AT&T, by all accounts, is on schedule. Sprint is reported to have a 90 day exclusive, which ends around January 15th and it is expected that AT&T will launch the Centro soon after (it cleared FCC months ago).
    Actually, their exclusive should end on Saturday, January 12th. Not that I'm watching this closely or anything...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Mal;

By Treo "500w also cleared FCC for US release" you mean the quad-band version, right? Not the current tri-band Vodafone version? A tri-band phone here would be a huge no-go!
    "3 months exclusive", they even talked about it during the Centro announcement.
    Mal;

By Treo "500w also cleared FCC for US release" you mean the quad-band version, right? Not the current tri-band Vodafone version? A tri-band phone here would be a huge no-go!
    Right and to be honest, I know jack about GSM and the frequencies. But PIC had a story about it and there are two sets of labels (Treo 500v and just Treo 500) which led some to believe there will be a general release (probably after the Vodafone exclusive, lol ).

If you want though, here are the FCC docs and maybe you can find something

whatever7, phrogpilot73 thanks for the clarification

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Of course PIC had a story about it...I wrote it! :-)

But then Ryan mentioned to me later that he had some severe doubts that the 500 in any form would be making its way Stateside, so that's why I was wondering if you'd heard anything to the contrary in the past few weeks.

A tri-band GSM phone WILL work in the USA but won't be able to handle any of the towers that are on 850mhz (in many smaller cities & rural areas). I think T-Mobile's whole (or the vast majority of it) US network is on 850mhz as well. It would definitely be in Palm's best interests to switch the tri-band radio in the 500v out for a quad-band version if that handset is to ever appear Stateside.
    Of course PIC had a story about it...I wrote it! :-)

But then Ryan mentioned to me later that he had some severe doubts that the 500 in any form would be making its way Stateside, so that's why I was wondering if you'd heard anything to the contrary in the past few weeks.

A tri-band GSM phone WILL work in the USA but won't be able to handle any of the towers that are on 850mhz (in many smaller cities & rural areas). I think T-Mobile's whole (or the vast majority of it) US network is on 850mhz as well. It would definitely be in Palm's best interests to switch the tri-band radio in the 500v out for a quad-band version if that handset is to ever appear Stateside.
    Glad to meet ya! lmao

Well, it is quite true we haven't heard a peep about a state-side version and I personally feel the WM smartphone market is a bit saturated here with Q's, Q9's, Dash's, etc on every carrier. So that is a distinct possibility.

14. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I think T-Mobile's whole (or the vast majority of it) US network is on 850mhz as well.
    Actually, T-Mobile was originally all 1900. They now have roaming agreements with some carriers using 850, and I'd heard that they're deploying UMTS somewhere in the 2100 range (but different from European 2100). Just when we think things are simplifying and consolidating, they go and get more complicated.

A tri-band GSM phone WILL work in the USA but won't be able to handle any of the towers that are on 850mhz (in many smaller cities & rural areas).
    For a long time, tri-band world (900/1800/900, as opposed to tri-band US, which is normally 850/1800/1900) was the most T-Mobile offered.
    Confirmed: No Treo 500 for US

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Colligan
    It is a triband phone and there are no plans at this stage to make it a quad band available inthe US. We are taking it to other markets internationally but it will not be available in the US.
    link

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Confirmed: No Treo 500 for US

link

Why Palm don't just make a quad-band phone and sell it everywhere? They don't need to care whether it is saleable in US. They don't need to sell thru service providers, they just sell it in their website. Please let us choose what we want

This is the big problem of Palm since day-one. They only sell what they thought you need it. They don't give customers a choice....
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Why Palm don't just make a quad-band phone and sell it everywhere? They don't need to care whether it is saleable in US. They don't need to sell thru service providers, they just sell it in their website. Please let us choose what we want

This is the big problem of Palm since day-one. They only sell what they thought you need it. They don't give customers a choice....
    that has always been palm's biggest downfall. it is the primary reason that palm went from being the number one choice to a hasbeen.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Palm will only release the 500 in the U.S. if Asus make a quadband version of the phone.

It's not a good phone anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post

The reason is quite simple really; Palm, like every other phone manufactuer knows the truth about phone sales. That is, people purchase what the carrier has in their stores, also called the carrier deck. If it is not there, the phone effectively does not exist. Of the 3.3+ billion that own a mobile phone, its only in the tens of millions that would purchase outside of the carrier deck. So, in other words, sell where your product makes money, not where your niche auduience wants you to be

The other thing you (and others) need to understand, carriers are the customers for these phone before you and I are. If the carrier determines to purchase the entire supply of a model, or signs an exclusivity agreement with the manufacturer, then what is sold is what is sold. If you are a company strapped for cash, like everyone not named Nokia seems to be nowadays, then you will play towards teh carrier's rules.

Put the pressure on your carrier to get their act together, then Palm. Not the other way around.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    The reason is quite simple really; Palm, like every other phone manufactuer knows the truth about phone sales. That is, people purchase what the carrier has in their stores, also called the carrier deck. If it is not there, the phone effectively does not exist. Of the 3.3+ billion that own a mobile phone, its only in the tens of millions that would purchase outside of the carrier deck. So, in other words, sell where your product makes money, not where your niche auduience wants you to be

The other thing you (and others) need to understand, carriers are the customers for these phone before you and I are. If the carrier determines to purchase the entire supply of a model, or signs an exclusivity agreement with the manufacturer, then what is sold is what is sold. If you are a company strapped for cash, like everyone not named Nokia seems to be nowadays, then you will play towards teh carrier's rules.

Put the pressure on your carrier to get their act together, then Palm. Not the other way around.
    That excuse never explained why other companies can ship better specified phones.

Surur
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast