Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins
    Out of curiosity, can you clear up the controversy regarding who uttered the exercise quote, Twain or Hutchins? I just read the attribution to Hutchins based upon a 1939 quotation linked to his eliminating athletic programs while president of the University of Chicago (permanently enshrining them as some of the geekiest geeks in academia!). But I have also found conflicting discussion regarding whether Mark Twain said the quote earlier. Since you use the quote in your signature, you must be fond of it, and perhaps you know its origin? Thanks!
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Out of curiosity, can you clear up the controversy regarding who uttered the exercise quote, Twain or Hutchins? I just read the attribution to Hutchins based upon a 1939 quotation linked to his eliminating athletic programs while president of the University of Chicago (permanently enshrining them as some of the geekiest geeks in academia!). But I have also found conflicting discussion regarding whether Mark Twain said the quote earlier. Since you use the quote in your signature, you must be fond of it, and perhaps you know its origin? Thanks!
    -- Josh
    I used to think it was Mark Twain, and then someone on TreoCentral pointed out that it was mis-attributed to Mark Twain. So, I decided to do some research. Every time I looked for Hutchins quotes, that quote was on the list (of some reputable sites). Whenever I looked for Mark Twain, I could only find that quote on sites that weren't as reputable. I also found a very detailed site (with footnotes and references) of all of Mark Twain's quotes. That quote wasn't listed. Quick check with Snopes, and it's confirmed (at least in my mind) that Mark Twain never said it. Although there were some Mark Twain quotes illustrating his disdain for exercise, that would probably lend fuel to the fire that he said it. But I firmly believe that he didn't.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    I used to think it was Mark Twain, and then someone on TreoCentral pointed out that it was mis-attributed to Mark Twain. So, I decided to do some research. Every time I looked for Hutchins quotes, that quote was on the list (of some reputable sites). Whenever I looked for Mark Twain, I could only find that quote on sites that weren't as reputable. I also found a very detailed site (with footnotes and references) of all of Mark Twain's quotes. That quote wasn't listed. Quick check with Snopes, and it's confirmed (at least in my mind) that Mark Twain never said it. Although there were some Mark Twain quotes illustrating his disdain for exercise, that would probably lend fuel to the fire that he said it. But I firmly believe that he didn't.
    ... did you notice how much WORK you did to find the right answer? What would Hutchins (or Twain, for that matter) have said about that???

tim
    i've seen and tested a test unit for gsm centro (white)... i'm sure it will be out soon
    carrier would be ATT

actually it's a treo 680 in a centro
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123