Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Of the 3.3+ billion that own a mobile phone, its only in the tens of millions that would purchase outside of the carrier deck.
    In Asia, it is a different story. Most of the people purchase their cell phones from the shops not from the service providers. In order to attract more subscribers, phone companies will give a very good discount on the most popular models.

I don't understand why Palm don't sell some models in Asia. Like HTC, they launch all the latest models in Asia before US and Europe because it does not require the service providers' certification.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Interesting I did not know that is how it worked in Asia.
    Always looking for cheap mobile phone accessories.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    At this rate, the next GSM Palm device will arrive shortly after hell freezes over.
    That is a little earlier than my guess.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Hi folks,

What will the next AT&T Palm smartphone be, and roughly when? (I'm stuck on AT&T business plan)

If the answer is Centro, what might be after that? I'm concerned about the relatively small screen on Centro. Yes, I know it is same pixels, and my eyes are pretty sharp. But the medical software apps, databases, textbooks, and references I use do have a lot of graphics and touchscreen clicking, and if it gets even smaller on new Centro, it'll be a bit harder to click things accurately. I personally like the size of my Treo 650 screen and the phone overall.

Anyway, what's next and when on AT&T, and if it's Centro, what after that?

-- Josh
    The Palm product line is now fragmented by carrier technology, i.e., GSM v. CDMA, by OS, and by data speed, 2G v 3G. CDMA is further artifically divided by carrier. POS 3G GSM is the empty class. It is no longer even speculated about. Apparently, having defined the class, Palm finds it beyond its ability to fill, even though the market for such a product dwarfs the CDMA market. I am misled but more sorrowful than angry.

Trust me, unless you are on a four year plan, it is not likely to be a problem.
    Beta/Carrier testing for both carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) is basically complete (edit: for GSM Centro)

Look for it on AT&T rather soon, followed by T-Mobile shortly after that.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/14/2008 at 02:09 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    ........This is the big problem of Palm since day-one. They only sell what they thought you need it. They don't give customers a choice....
    They do not even make that decision themselves. They sell what the carriers (mostly Sprint) tell them to. You are not their "customer."
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Beta/Carrier testing for both carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) is basically complete.

Testing of what? Centro? WM? EDGE?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Testing of what? Centro? WM? EDGE?
    GSM Centro--sorry, forgot this was a general thread, lol

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    POS 3G GSM is the empty class. It is no longer even speculated about. Apparently, having defined the class, Palm finds it beyond its ability to fill, even though the market for such a product dwarfs the CDMA market.
    This is a limitation of the POS, not of Palm the company. 3G GSM requires OS multi-threading, which the POS can not support without a complete re-write of the underlying OS kernel. That would take more work than developing a new OS from scratch, which is what Palm is doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    This is a limitation of the POS, not of Palm the company. 3G GSM requires OS multi-threading, which the POS can not support without a complete re-write of the underlying OS kernel. That would take more work than developing a new OS from scratch, which is what Palm is doing.
    That is what I said. "Beyond Palm's ability." I expect Apple to meet the requirement before Palm. Am I wrong?
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Beta/Carrier testing for both carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) is basically complete (edit: for GSM Centro)

How does one volunteer to beta-test? I've done it before for medical software and enjoyed it. We all obviously care about the success of Palm products. Most posts to these forums are essentially complaints. Being a beta-tester enables one's complaints to be heard and be helpful! Wouldn't we all like that?
    -- Josh
    How does one volunteer to beta-test? I've done it before for medical software and enjoyed it. We all obviously care about the success of Palm products. Most posts to these forums are essentially complaints. Being a beta-tester enables one's complaints to be heard and be helpful! Wouldn't we all like that?
    -- Josh
    I have nooo idea, lol. I imagine you have to work for the carriers? Palm also a beta testing program thing, but I've never gotten the call, :-(

I know on Sprint's message board, they are "considering" opening beta testing of either new phone and/or software updates to some of the public, but it could be months before that comes to fruition. Some people though at Sprint recognize the "expertise" that some users could bring to the table, so at least they're trying.

Is the delayed "Treo model for a major wireless carrier" in today's Associated Press article a GSM model for AT&T? That's the model I've been hoping would materialize soon. Anyone know if this was going to be a Palm OS Treo 7xxp, 800p, or Centro, or something else entirely? My 650 is on its last legs and I've been waiting patiently for the upcoming AT&T Centro or other imminent Palm OS smartphone. The 680, with about 14 minutes of battery life, will not cut it for the money!
    -- Josh
    FWIW, I'm with AT&T and when my 650 started falling apart I moved to the 680 and have been relatively happy with it. The battery life is not as bad as you think and getting rid of the antenna is great. The latest software update did increase battery life for me, as advertised. I use it heavily and it lasts all day and that;s all I can remember my 650 doing. The minor size difference and the added on board memory is also nice particularly nice because I can now fit all of my apps in internal memory and use the SD card for data only. It is generally a better design and does what I need it to.

Now I am hoping my 680 holds together until 2009 for the next major upgrade to POS II.
    A friend of mine works for AT+T now, and he is hoping to get his hands on a GSM Centro soon, so the release should be sometime in February...

I think this will be a nice first SmartPhone for my wife.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    A friend of mine works for AT+T now, and he is hoping to get his hands on a GSM Centro soon, so the release should be sometime in February...

I think this will be a nice first SmartPhone for my wife.
    So, can you pump a little more info out of your friend? Price, service plans requirements, etc? We're dyin' out here, waiting...

tim
    I will see him tomorrow. I'll let you know what I here.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    I will see him tomorrow. I'll let you know what I here.
    I have a problem, also. I'll be checking my email, say... every 15 seconds or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    I have a problem, also. I'll be checking my email, say... every 15 seconds or so.
    I couldn't wait any longer... I now hold a Treo 750 in my hands... Of course, I could always get the Centro for the wife when she decides to upgrade her Pearl...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    How does the 750 compare to the blackjack2?
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    How does the 750 compare to the blackjack2?
    I didn't evaluate the BlackJack 2, so I couldn't tell you. I prefer a touchscreen device so the ones I looked at were the 680, 750, and Tilt. I like the Treo form factor (would have preferred a Centro's form factor), but in the end it was the 3G and excitement of learning a new OS (yup - I'm a big geek) that sold me on the 750.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast