Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apparently a new Treo was supposed to be released that got delayed, so Palm's revenue for the quarter ending November 30 will be below projections. Hopefully this means that there's something about to be released shortly. The actual quote: "The revenue shortfall is primarily due to a delay in shipping a product that the company had previously expected to have certified within the quarter."

Any idea which Treo is that's running late (assuming, that is, the late product is a Treo)?

Sources:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071206?rpc=44
    http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/...20News/891932/
    It's gotta be the 800w, no?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Or Verizon 755

Surur
    I think the 755 is the culprit. It was supposed to be released awhile ago.

I heard the rumor Verizon won't release it till Palm "fixes" the 700p, though I'm not too sure about that one.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    If we knew for a fact that it was the 800w that was delayed, then I think we could pretty much assume that it was headed to Verizon first.
    It has to be the 755P on Verizon. It's long, long overdue.

In fact, I would have been happier if the report had said that their revenue was down because they failed to ship two phones in the previous quarter. Then at least I would know that the 800w is in the immediate queue.
    Why is Verizon pretending it will accept any competible handset/hardware? Its just as much the phone nazi as it used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    Apparently a new Treo was supposed to be released that got delayed, so Palm's revenue for the quarter ending November 30 will be below projections. Hopefully this means that there's something about to be released shortly. The actual quote: "The revenue shortfall is primarily due to a delay in shipping a product that the company had previously expected to have certified within the quarter."

Any idea which Treo is that's running late (assuming, that is, the late product is a Treo)?

Sources:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071206?rpc=44
    http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/...20News/891932/
    it is probably the handset for verizon. palm needs to wake up and get their head out of their a$$ if they plan on sticking around for the future---
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    lets not forget the Foleo.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    The missing product was Foleo 2: Electric Boogaloo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    lets not forget the Foleo.
    Foleo doesn't need certification, so can't be that.

Treo 800w is out because that was/is development stage, not ready for launch. The Q4 date as always flexible and just a target. Plus, with Sprint delaying their RevA launch to Q1, it makes more sense for the 800w to be pushed back as well.

Some suggested the GSM Centro, though between the realistic 90 day Sprint exclusive to after the Holidays and 0 evidence to suggest it's true, I doubt that one.

Nah, it's just the 755 on Verizon, which brings me to...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    it is probably the handset for verizon. palm needs to wake up and get their head out of their a$$ if they plan on sticking around for the future---
    It takes two to tango for Certification and ultimately, Verizon is the one who certifies, not Palm.

So either Palm can't fix what Verizon wants or Verizon is more strict/finicky than Sprint.

Either is possible, no reason to choose sides. Carrier certification, while catching hopefully the major bugs, is still a flawed process. I'm happy to hear (via their Buzz forums) that Sprint is considering opening up their software/firmware testing for smartphone devices to the public, on a limited basis.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Would the openning up of networks allow phone handset manufacturers to deliver products that are not subject to the phone provider restrictions?

Given the history of Palm excuses, one of them being the restriction of telco's put them through, if and only if a real open network comes up, that would put the presure on Palm to come up with a class A product. (I know its wishful thinking).

Anyway, Verizon says they will open their network but still has many strings attached, i.e. we will test and certify the phone you can use. AT&T says they will open their network and will not even bother checking the device. Both companies are letting their PRPRPR $machines$ $spit$ $out$ $the$ $propaganda$ $versus$ $what$ $is$ $really$ $technically$ $feasible$.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    AT&T says they will open their network and will not even bother checking the device. Both companies are letting their PRPRPR $machines$ $spit$ $out$ $the$ $propaganda$ $versus$ $what$ $is$ $really$ $technically$ $feasible$.
    Obviously on GSM, with SIM cards, if the device is FCC certified, there is no need for AT&T to even know which phone you have.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Obviously on GSM, with SIM cards, if the device is FCC certified, there is no need for AT&T to even know which phone you have.

Surur
    Not only that, but it's my understanding (probably something I read somewhere) that AT&T really doesnt care what phone you use; which doesnt include the iPhone because it's sim is not interchangeable to another phone.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Can you blame Verizon for being overly concerned about Palm products? Between the 700P and the 700W I would have to say they got burned pretty bad. Can you even begin to imagine how many "defective" phones they were forced to eat?

That being said where was their testing when these phones came out? On the W would it have been Palms or Verizons spec that underpower it? There is no way possible that Verizon ever paired up a BT headset with either of these units.
    I heard you could use iPhone SIM on another phone. There's nothing really special about the SIM, it's the same as others. I know because the guy just gave me a standard 3G SIM. Also, I've heard of people taking their iPhone in for repairs and being able to use another phone in the meantime.

What I do know though, is if you put another account's SIM into the iPhone, it won't activate. The SIM's ID number(and/or phone number) is attached to the iPhone's activation. You'd have to call ATT and tell them to move that account over for iPhone usage.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    One exception. PDA phones using cheaper data plans. They may complain IF they feel like it. They supposedly CAN tell what phone you're using when it pings the tower.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    Can you blame Verizon for being overly concerned about Palm products? Between the 700P and the 700W I would have to say they got burned pretty bad. Can you even begin to imagine how many "defective" phones they were forced to eat?
    You kidding me. No telco's are forced to eat any defective phones. It is Palm who takes all of these in. Verizon simply charges them back for the costs plus whatever penalties Verizon decides to impose. This is a regular retail business practice.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 12/09/2007 at 08:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    You kidding me. No telco's are forced to eat any defective phones. It is Palm who takes all of these in. Verizon simply charges them back for the costs plus whatever penalties Verizon decides to impose. This is a regular retail business practice.
    Even so, VZW still has to pay for all the tech support time associated with the numerous issues on those phones.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
    Not only that, but it's my understanding (probably something I read somewhere) that AT&T really doesnt care what phone you use; which doesnt include the iPhone because it's sim is not interchangeable to another phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I heard you could use iPhone SIM on another phone. There's nothing really special about the SIM, it's the same as others. I know because the guy just gave me a standard 3G SIM. Also, I've heard of people taking their iPhone in for repairs and being able to use another phone in the meantime.

What I do know though, is if you put another account's SIM into the iPhone, it won't activate. The SIM's ID number(and/or phone number) is attached to the iPhone's activation. You'd have to call ATT and tell them to move that account over for iPhone usage.
    Phone Diva is right, the iPhone needs it's SIM, but that SIM can be used in another phone. And while yes, they can theoretically go after you for using a media max plan instead of a pda plan on, say, a Tilt, they won't if you don't abuse it. If you're doing 24/hr push email with hundreds of emails a day, yeah, they'll probably start sniffing around. But normal use, if you pay your bill on time and don't call attention to it they won't notice.

Uh, on topic: I agree it was probably the 755p...makes the most sense and it's the biggest existing hole in their product line since the 700p is the last external antenna'd product.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast