Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Even so, VZW still has to pay for all the tech support time associated with the numerous issues on those phones.
    If the number of calls associated to Treo phones exceeds a business costs threshold, Verizon will halt selling Treo phones. The same could have happened with TMo.
    I dunno, the 755p is supposed to be markedly improved from the 700p, which Verizon had no problem "approving".

You begin to wonder if Verizon is simply stalling the 755p so they can skip it and go for the Centro, which I think is clearly a better device and is doing quite well at Sprint (I'm seeing lots of TV ads now--Sprint seems to be pushing it for the holidays, with ads running on CNN, Discovery, etc.). Verizon customers aren't dumb and there is this question of why they're getting the 755p and not the Centro...

And Palm certainly "eats" the cost of returns. It's literally in the quarterly report that's the point of this thread:
    The gross margin reflects an unforeseen increase in warranty repair expenses during the quarter...
    So Palm is certainly reeling from the poor hardware choices of the 700-series.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I dunno, the 755p is supposed to be markedly improved from the 700p, which Verizon had no problem "approving".

You begin to wonder if Verizon is simply stalling the 755p so they can skip it and go for the Centro, which I think is clearly a better device and is doing quite well at Sprint (I'm seeing lots of TV ads now--Sprint seems to be pushing it for the holidays, with ads running on CNN, Discovery, etc.). Verizon customers aren't dumb and there is this question of why they're getting the 755p and not the Centro...

And Palm certainly "eats" the cost of returns. It's literally in the quarterly report that's the point of this thread:

So Palm is certainly reeling from the poor hardware choices of the 700-series.
    Maybe Verizon is just going to wait for the 800. At this point it's been quite a while. Either that or maybe VZ has issues with Palm since Sprint usually gets the devices first.

Also I didn't find the 700 softwre terribly bad. Although I've had a 700p since it came out. I never messed with the 755 as I didn't find it to be any meaningful upgrade.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    You kidding me. No telco's are forced to eat any defective phones. It is Palm who takes all of these in. Verizon simply charges them back for the costs plus whatever penalties Verizon decides to impose. This is a regular retail business practice.
    I figured it would be something like that, but I didn't know for sure. Either way it does wonders for customer relations swapping out phone multiple times.

Thanks for the insight as to how some of these things operate.

s.
    This is what I have thought all long. Maybe Verizon is thinking if they release a very tired form/phone 755P now for $500 and in a couple of month they release the Centro for $99.00 they are going to have some very upset customers.

Then there is the whole 800 series question. We should see the W in the next 90 days or so. (if we are lucky). Is there any chance of seeing an 800P or will palm just let Centro carry the POS till PLOS (900P??) comes out?
    Last edited by Jas O; 12/10/2007 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    Is there any chance of seeing an 800P or will palm just let Centro carry the POS till PLOS (900P??) comes out?
    I haven't heard a single bit of information about an 800p--doesn't mean there isn't one planned, but like I said, no rumors at all.

I'm curious as what Palm will follow up the Centro with--or if it'll be a long wait till POSII.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Don't forget about the 700wx! Since someone (Palm? Carriers?) really bungled and decided not to order up/develop a WM6-equipped version of the 755p for CDMA networks, the hideously aged 700wx looks to continue on in the Sprint & Verizon lineups.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Eh, whatever.. Situation normal - all f$@ked up.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Palm revenue shortfall because a product was delayed - LMAO

It should be "Palm revenue shortfall because the management is suck."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22328613/site/140

The answer is management problem. Every quarter Ed came out some stories to explain the poor performance of Palm. Actually the problem is Palm management. Ed = no vision. Ed = poor Execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post

The answer is management problem. Every quarter Ed came out some stories to explain the poor performance of Palm. Actually the problem is Palm management. Ed = no vision. Ed = poor Execution.
    Agree 100%. A lot of Palm apologists on this site--many blame the carriers. It's really just a bad CEO. If they got rid of him that would be a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post

Ed actually gave a fairly straight forward answer to the 755p issue as it was basically carrier certification--I guess Verizon has higher standards than Sprint lol Funny thing is there were no issues with the 755p evidently, just false reported ones.

I'm fine with Rubenstein taking over, but I'll leave that stuff to the board and shareholders.

There’s nothing in my mind that’s an acceptable excuse for it (ed. the 755p delay). We should have done it. The reality is one of the things we’re dealing with that I think is reasonably unique relative to at least the SmartPhone suppliers is we have an older operating system here that is sometimes in certain multi-tasking situations is challenged relative to standard network performance issues....

We do everything we can to work with the certification houses atthe carriers to make sure that it doesn’t happen, that we don’t miss deadlines. In this particular instance we weren’t able to get over the top on that. Now there are real issues that exist that are still in bug databases and things that are going on that we have to come through and make sure they’re not real issues before we’re going to ship the product and that’s really what happened here. There were things that were reported towards the end. It turned out that they were not issues and the product and the quality product is shipping and it is something that could have in hindsight shipped earlier, but that’s not what we were able to do without chasing and bringing all those things to ground. I think one of the issues is we have a reasonably narrow product line today and so one miss with one carrier hasa big impact on us. We have to build a broader array of products. We have to get more consistent about it. We have to get to the next generation operating system so that we don’t have some of those underlying issues from a network performance perspective and that’s what we’re doing.
    The rest of the transcript is quite informative.

Ed actually gave a fairly straight forward answer to the 755p issue as it was basically carrier certification--I guess Verizon has higher standards than Sprint lol Funny thing is there were no issues with the 755p evidently, just false reported ones.

I'm fine with Rubenstein taking over, but I'll leave that stuff to the board and shareholders.

The rest of the transcript is quite informative.

but the 750 for cingular/att came out over a year ago. is it palm getting the cdma version out the problem or verizon happy releasing a year old phone???
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    but the 750 for cingular/att came out over a year ago. is it palm getting the cdma version out the problem or verizon happy releasing a year old phone???
    It's a combo of
    • Palm not having many devices to release
    • Sprint exclusive on the 755p (?)

Just a guess.

I think Palm's plan is to have devices in all price ranges and different devices with new form factors. But you won't see much of that till 2009 (It takes about 18 months from plan to release for these phones, including 6-9 months carrier/FCC testing).

It's a combo of
    • Palm not having many devices to release
    • Sprint exclusive on the 755p (?)

Just a guess.

I think Palm's plan is to have devices in all price ranges and different devices with new form factors. But you won't see much of that till 2009 (It takes about 18 months from plan to release for these phones, including 6-9 months carrier/FCC testing).
    2009 is an eternity for new product release in my opinion. the centro is kool, but really basic in its features. the 800 if it does come out hopefully will make a gsm and cdma enterance. palm has one thing going for it, that no one else really has except for blackberry, it's name. palm has literally taken itself out of the game for some unknown reason.
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    palm's losing money coz they just keep rehasing old concepts, using outdated parts and failing to innovate. noneed for any other alibis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms View Post
    palm's losing money coz they just keep rehasing old concepts, using outdated parts and failing to innovate. noneed for any other alibis.
    i thought when the centro was coming out, that is would be feature packed, but the centro turned out to be a toy.
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    A bit over the top to call the Centro a toy. It has basically the same feature-set as the 755p and is a genuine smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    i thought when the centro was coming out, that is would be feature packed, but the centro turned out to be a toy.
    So all the other Treo's most be trash then
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Centro a toy. Wow. Harsh words.
    Always looking for cheap mobile phone accessories.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12