Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hope not. I also love playing with my old Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 too. I didn't upgrade to that fancy schmancy Timex Sinclair yet but I heard it's good.
    Nope, Palm is not dead yet. But hang around awhile, I'm sure someone will be telling you they are dying.

ET
    Have died many times over.

What you are using in your Centro is the walking zombie of Garnet. Can only use at night under full moonlight.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Palm is the "Cat" of the smartphone industry...it has nine lives!
    Let's see...

Split off to Handspring, Life #1 is Gone!

Palm & Handspring "re-united... and it feels so good"
    No life lost there, just time. Maybe a half-life. .5

Lost Sony/Clie and other licensees.
    Another life. Down to 7.5 lives.

Sold Off PalmOS to PalmSource/Access. Big Boo-Boo!
    Worth 2 lives right there, down to 5.5 lives.

Bought Access to Access's Garnet. Good Move, but expensive.
    A Wash.

Went to bed with Billy Gates.
    May have saved Palm (+1), but hurt Palm OS (-1). Another Wash.

Losing Symbol, as they diversify to other Operating Systems.
    Say another half-life. Down to 5 lives.

700p... Minus 1 for errors, another for taking too long to fix, and another
    for the fix being worse than the disease in some cases! 2 Lives Left!

Folio Disaster, Minus 1.5 lives! Hanging on to a thread!

Centro fixes most issues, but too little, too late. Another Wash.

So, we should be down to our last half of a life??

It seems the Linux Palm OS may be it's last chance at resuscitation.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    No, it's not. But if you do a search, you will find that people keep posting "Palm is dead" threads.
    Yes, Palm is dead. Please stop beating it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Lets all wait to see if palm dies instead of talking about it for the past 2 years.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    I have a perfectly good Win95 machine who's sole reason for existence is running a piece of custom engineering software that does exactly what we need it to do. As a matter of fact, I've got it's exact replacement in the closet for when it dies.

All of that to say, Garnet is a quickly becoming a prune, but it still gets the job done just right. Buying a Garnet phone sure isn't glamorous but from a functionality point of view there is arguably nothing better.

Na, Palm is still kicking....
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    ..........Na, Palm is still kicking....
    Flat on its back with its heels in the air. I think that is Microsoft standing over the corpus.

It is selling at $0.03 above its 52 week low. That is 1.5 times the $0.02 it earned for the most recent quarter and three times the penny it is expected to make in the next. Short interest on the market is $34,974,080 and growing. It is selling at a 57 multiple but with negative growth that number can be expected to grow rapidly to infinity. No, not dead but barely kicking.

Perry, where are you?
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    Right here.

My ten years of Palm OS apps are a strong bond . . . . . however, I am not sure I can wait 18 months for my 900P. . . . . next year the iPhone (Generation 2) may just get me. . . . . . . although my Sprint Sero account is another strong bond. And I thought I was in the PPR for 5 months prior to the 700P!!

Actually, my 755p and 10 years of accumulated apps . . . .are my best PDA yet . . . . . but another 18 months for the Palm/Linux OS on a Treo? Come on Palm . . . you will only have me and some dust bunnies blowing thru left by then.
    No, just really boring lately. And making a few mistakes that don't help. Expensive but incomplete Foleo development, just to cancel it, is one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    ^^ Ummmmm...it's always darkest before the dawn...????...eventually even a blind squirrel find a nut...???

Yea, on paper better get the defibrillator, in reality still quite functional. So Garnet is a 1979 Pinto...turd brown...with three rings bad in a four cylinder engine...But it still WORKS!....like a wheezing 30 year smoker on his first marathon...did I say it still WORKS??? I'm an engineer so perhaps I'm one of the few, in this case, that appreciate function over form. Most of my architecture friends have a...guess what...iP!!!!! Not that there is anything wrong with that....
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Right here.

My ten years of Palm OS apps are a strong bond . . . . . however, I am not sure I can wait 18 months for my 900P. . . . . next year the iPhone (Generation 2) may just get me. . . . . . . although my Sprint Sero account is another strong bond. And I thought I was in the PPR for 5 months prior to the 700P!!

Actually, my 755p and 10 years of accumulated apps . . . .are my best PDA yet . . . . . but another 18 months for the Palm/Linux OS on a Treo? Come on Palm . . . you will only have me and some dust bunnies blowing thru left by then.
    Perry, you and I know all too well that, in Palm's book, 18 months always works out to more than two years. However, that is for the CDMA version. I will have a UMTS iPhone years before anyone will see a UMTS POS device.

I no longer expect to see a new POS. I do not think that Palm will still be around in 18 months.

In any case, I like my iPhone better and better everyday. Tomorrow I will go into NYC with only my iPhone and leave both my laptop and my Treo 650 at home. I have migrated my contacts to Outlook and may soon abandon Palm Desktop. Palm long ago decided to abandon me.

I am not bitter, only resigned.
    I hear you. I'm locked in a contract, or I'd probably be there with you.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I am not bitter, only resigned.
    The worst in the world, except for all the others!

Absolutely Terrible... but better than all others out there!

(Though some would debate that in both cases).
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    The worst in the world, except for all the others!

Absolutely Terrible... but better than all others out there!

(Though some would debate that in both cases).
    I love Palm OS. With the possible exception of Perry, POS has no greater adherent than your's truly. That is not the issue.

As much as I love POS, I despise Palm for abandoning it. I hate Palm for abandoning GSM in favor of CDMA and even for preferring Sprint over Verizon. I despise Palm for consorting with Microsoft. (Having contributed to the demise of Palm, perhaps MS will rescue their investors by acquiring any residual assets.)

I do not expect vendors to serve all markets. I do expect them to be even handed within the markets that they choose, not selfishly pitting one against another. I do expect them to be true to those customers who committed to them and contributed to their success.

Palm has abandoned all the things that once made them great including their core technology and their values. Apple, Research in Motion, Nokia, HTC, and, yes, Microsoft will now mop up the floor with what is left of them. With the exception of their employees and investors, no one regrets that more than their loyal customers.

(I am not bitter about the thousands of dollars that I lost by investing in Palm, though it cost me far more than the products I bought from them. I wished them success and wanted to participate in any that they had. I sold hundreds of shares before the last reverse stock split and I am wondering if they will last long enough to do another. I own Apple at $4- and consider all their products that I own as dividends.)
    Last edited by whmurray; 12/06/2007 at 10:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Let's see...

Split off to Handspring, Life #1 is Gone!

Palm & Handspring "re-united... and it feels so good"
    No life lost there, just time. Maybe a half-life. .5

Lost Sony/Clie and other licensees.
    Another life. Down to 7.5 lives.

Sold Off PalmOS to PalmSource/Access. Big Boo-Boo!
    Worth 2 lives right there, down to 5.5 lives.

Bought Access to Access's Garnet. Good Move, but expensive.
    A Wash.

Went to bed with Billy Gates.
    May have saved Palm (+1), but hurt Palm OS (-1). Another Wash.

Losing Symbol, as they diversify to other Operating Systems.
    Say another half-life. Down to 5 lives.

700p... Minus 1 for errors, another for taking too long to fix, and another
    for the fix being worse than the disease in some cases! 2 Lives Left!

Folio Disaster, Minus 1.5 lives! Hanging on to a thread!

Centro fixes most issues, but too little, too late. Another Wash.

So, we should be down to our last half of a life??

It seems the Linux Palm OS may be it's last chance at resuscitation.
    Mine is shorter:

Start with 9

Palm's management kills 12 out of stupidity.

Palm goes to bed with bill gates and he likes likes it... gives them 5 lives...

They have 2 left which will be blown when they launched a failed linux device in 2009 (yea, you know they won't make it in 2008).

But who cares? HTC is still around....

Palm os was great 5 years back.... I mean, wow....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Palm either is unaware of the competition or just doesn't care. They should have offered the GSM WM Centro(Treo 500 for Europe) as an option for Americans, along with the CDMA Palm OS one. Instead those people who might have gotten the WM one are looking at the Moto Q9H and Blackjack II.

Another missed opportunity IMO. I think the Centro and 500 are smaller than both those phones and more like a Dash, aren't they? That would have been a good opportunity to snatch up some new smartphone users and reclaim some who left due to being tired of the thicker phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I love Palm OS. With the possible exception of Perry, POS has no greater adherent than your's truly. That is not the issue.

As much as I love POS, I despise Palm for abandoning it. I hate Palm for abandoning GSM in favor of CDMA and even for preferring Sprint over Verizon. I despise Palm for consorting with Microsoft. (Having contributed to the demise of Palm, perhaps MS will rescue their investors by acquiring any residual assets.)

I do not expect vendors to serve all markets. I do expect them to be even handed within the markets that they choose, not selfishly pitting one against another. I do expect them to be true to those customers who committed to them and contributed to their success.

Palm has abandoned all the things that once made them great including their core technology and their values. Apple, Research in Motion, Nokia, HTC, and, yes, Microsoft will now mop up the floor with what is left of them. With the exception of their employees and investors, no one regrets that more than their loyal customers.

(I am not bitter about the thousands of dollars that I lost by investing in Palm, though it cost me far more than the products I bought from them. I wished them success and wanted to participate in any that they had. I sold hundreds of shares before the last reverse stock split and I am wondering if they will last long enough to do another. I own Apple at $4- and consider all their products that I own as dividends.)
    Get a grip....
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast