Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    Get a grip....
    lol. You think I was a little over the top?

Today Palm announced a Christmas layoff of ten percent of their workforce. Stock fell 3% to near its 12/07 52 week low.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    So.... if you were getting a Sprint Sero contract, which smartphone would you get? BB's are not supported with Sero (BB data is extra $360/year, while anyone else's phone gets data included with voice), so no BB.
    That leaves ... ??? I'm not up on the latest phones other than the Centro and Mogul. Mogul is waiting for firmware fixes (HTC did a Palm) and I don't know what to expect with the Touch - impressive hardware, but I don't know how useable it is as an primary phone. I prefer a touchscreen for making freeform notes.
    I can get a Centro and hope Palm issues whatever fixes it will need. There's enough software out now to make it a productivity assistant. But... staying onboard with a company on the derailment track is somehow discouraging. Perhaps some entity that knows how to run a business will buy Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry View Post
    Perhaps some entity that knows how to run a business will buy Palm.
    Dell? Afterall, they've expressed interest in entering the cell phone arena.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer View Post
    Dell? Afterall, they've expressed interest in entering the cell phone arena.
    Dell? What do they know about running a business? I say Microsoft. They messed up; let them clean up.
    No, anyone but Microsoft! If they buy Palm they eliminate competition, and there's no way they'd keep PalmOS or develop a new version when they have their own mobile OS to push on people. As much as I hate Dell I'd actually prefer to have them running Palm than M$.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I wish they would get it over with and stop twitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    No, anyone but Microsoft! If they buy Palm they eliminate competition, and there's no way they'd keep PalmOS or develop a new version when they have their own mobile OS to push on people. As much as I hate Dell I'd actually prefer to have them running Palm than M$.
    I must be missing your point? What competition? Palm has ceded the GSM market to Apple and the CDMA to Microsoft. I know it is only a rumor, (Apple rumors have the same street cred as Palm promises), but Apple is talking about a 3G iPhone before Palm is talking about even a CDMA new POS. Having carved its market into tiny pieces, pitted them against one another for resources, and lost them all to other competitors, where does one expect Palm to compete against MS? Talk about a diminutive David and a goliath Goliath.
    At least little David actually beat Goliath!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    It ended the way it was supposed to end:

Goliath smashed David. David is a living his life in a persistent vegetative state.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I have a Treo 650, which was a replacement for my favorite palmOS device ever, the Kyocera 7135. I've had it for a while now, 2-3 years I think, it's been long enough that I don't remember when I got it. About a month ago I decided to look at upgrading. I'm on Verizon, and all my extended family is as well, so moving to another carrier isn't really an option. There were two new WM6 phones coming out, the i760 and the xv6800. I figured it was time to give Shiny, New WM6 a try.

I had the i760 for four days. HATED it. send button in a horrible location, every time I'd start a call I'd open the keyboard just enough to cause the orientation to change, and change back, and beep in my ear... not to mention that the orientation change delay was just FRIKIN ANNOYING. The phone just drove me nuts.

Returned it, and waited a couple weeks, back on my trusty 650.

Ordered the XV6800 (HTC Titan.) Proven device, been on Sprint for quite a while. Not the newest thing out there (but then, it's Verizon - NOTHING is the newest thing out there.) Used it for about three weeks. It's not bad, the slide-out keyboard is much better than the i760, can't use it one-handed. Firmware problems, for example if you have it set to suspend while it's plugged in, the alarms won't go off until the device is woken up - by turning it on, unplugging it, etc. Lots of software bandaids to try to make it work... like my Treo. Returned it to the local VZW today.

Ordered a 755p... it'll be here tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by okyourabeast View Post
    It ended the way it was supposed to end:

Goliath smashed David. David is a living his life in a persistent vegetative state.
    lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    That David was not sleeping with his Goliath.
    Quote Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
    I have a Treo 650, which was a replacement for my favorite palmOS device ever, the Kyocera 7135. I've had it for a while now, 2-3 years I think, it's been long enough that I don't remember when I got it. About a month ago I decided to look at upgrading. I'm on Verizon, and all my extended family is as well, so moving to another carrier isn't really an option. There were two new WM6 phones coming out, the i760 and the xv6800. I figured it was time to give Shiny, New WM6 a try.

I had the i760 for four days. HATED it. send button in a horrible location, every time I'd start a call I'd open the keyboard just enough to cause the orientation to change, and change back, and beep in my ear... not to mention that the orientation change delay was just FRIKIN ANNOYING. The phone just drove me nuts.

Returned it, and waited a couple weeks, back on my trusty 650.

Ordered the XV6800 (HTC Titan.) Proven device, been on Sprint for quite a while. Not the newest thing out there (but then, it's Verizon - NOTHING is the newest thing out there.) Used it for about three weeks. It's not bad, the slide-out keyboard is much better than the i760, can't use it one-handed. Firmware problems, for example if you have it set to suspend while it's plugged in, the alarms won't go off until the device is woken up - by turning it on, unplugging it, etc. Lots of software bandaids to try to make it work... like my Treo. Returned it to the local VZW today.

Ordered a 755p... it'll be here tomorrow.
    We await your report. It will be hard to beat the 650 but it is also hard to beat EVDO Rev A.

Since I have an iPhone, if you vouch for the the 755p, I might give it a try.

But the 755p is not going to save little David. He is road kill.
    Q: Why is Palm not dead?

A: 10 Years of 3rd Party Programs.

Certainly not because of the quirky FrankenGarnet OS and the hardware.

I would say iPhone has both of those covered in spades. My daughter's iPhone has not once paused or reset and the visual presentation is awesome.

The only thing keeping me here is my 3rd Party software and a Sprint SERO account. And that might just keep me here the next 18 months to see what's up with the "Treo 900".

I have always believed in substance over style, but I have to admit, I do like the style of my daughter's iPhone. Enough to leave my Palm OS library of software in the dust?

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Q: Why is Palm not dead?

A: 10 Years of 3rd Party Programs.

Certainly not because of the quirky FrankenGarnet OS and the hardware.

I would say iPhone has both of those covered in spades. My daughter's iPhone has not once paused or reset and the visual presentation is awesome.

The only thing keeping me here is my 3rd Party software and a Sprint SERO account. And that might just keep me here the next 18 months to see what's up with the "Treo 900".

I have always believed in substance over style, but I have to admit, I do like the style of my daughter's iPhone. Enough to leave my Palm OS library of software in the dust?

Nope.

And if there is no 900 in 18 months?

But the real issue is what will Apple have done with the iPhone in 18 months? Who has the greatest resources? Who has the brand? Who has the vision? Who has the momentum? Who has the lead? Once Apple opens the platform to third party apps, how long does it take them to overcome the "10 years of third party apps?"

Face it Perry. The war is over and our boys lost. I now care more what Apple does than what Palm does.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post

But the real issue is what will Apple have done with the iPhone in 18 months?
    If they don't add a hardware keyboard, I won't buy it. I dealt with the on-screen dialer on the xv6800 for three weeks and it was crappy, even after adding a 3rd-party app that caused the unit to vibrate on keypress - trying to provide some sort of feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
    If they don't add a hardware keyboard, I won't buy it. I dealt with the on-screen dialer on the xv6800 for three weeks and it was crappy, even after adding a 3rd-party app that caused the unit to vibrate on keypress - trying to provide some sort of feedback.
    Be careful what you ask for; you might get it.

But the real issue is what will Apple have done with the iPhone in 18 months? Who has the greatest resources? Who has the brand? Who has the vision? Who has the momentum? Who has the lead? Once Apple opens the platform to third party apps, how long does it take them to overcome the "10 years of third party apps?"

Face it Perry. The war is over and our boys lost. I now care more what Apple does than what Palm does.
    Exactly! . . . remove the current 3rd party software advantage. . . and the last hangers on like me will have the last barrier to leaving removed . . . . . .. 18 Months is an eternity. . . . . . Apple will be on iPhone III by then.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/17/2007 at 08:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Be careful what you ask for; you might get it.
    And if I do, I might buy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Exactly! . . . remove the current 3rd party software advantage. . . and the last hangers on like me will have the last barrier to leaving removed . . . . . .. 18 Months is an eternity. . . . . . Apple will be on iPhone III by then.
    I can understand why Palm executives do not enjoy reading Treo Central. On the other hand it would have been an incredible resource for them. They could not have said that we did not warn them.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast