Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    We all know that POS is dated and just doesn't provide many of the advanced OS features we all expect, such as multi-tasking. These all are strikes against POS, but don't necessarily mean the OS is going to die. It is still very functional and has one of the most easy to use smartphone UIs out there.

What is going to kill POS (I mean a serious juggler shot) is the growing lack of third party development support. There is a quickly growing number of developers, especially new comers to mobile development, who are opting for Windows Mobile, RIM, and OS X mobile over Palm. Yes, there is a huge number of existing Palm apps out there, but the influx of new apps is decreasing VERY quickly.

Given that the Smartphone is just now really starting to get popular, this is VERY bad for Palm.

IMO, the ship has already sailed. It isn't going to matter if Palm puts out a new OS in a year. By then, the vast majority of users and devs will be in the MS, Apple, Google, or RIM camps.

Sorry Palm -- GAME OVER!
    Last edited by ~Q~; 11/29/2007 at 12:45 AM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Naw I disagree. after having a iPhone, Nokia e61i, e61, HP 6925 etc.
    Iphone is lacking apps till Feb 08 and the good apps won't be out for a while, iPhone can't fwd messages, is locked to ATT etc.

Windows Mobile is still bloated and not easy to use and Nokia.... well they are a bit confused.

Blackberry has the best shot, But their apps are coming slow kind of like Palms death.

So, to sum it up, Palm is dying a slow death. But, by the time all these other companies get it figured out, Palm will be back in the game.

I am back on my 680 by way, after being on the iPhone. It was uber sweet but lacked to many basics.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I think Q made some good points. The odds are really against Palm right now. With the POS II 17 months away and no new treos on the horizon (except for the GSM Centro and possible 800W). I don't know what other products Palm will release in the 2008. More Garnet phones? More WM6 phones?

In the worst case scenario, Jon and company may be shaping Palm for a potential buy out with another company (to get their investment back). All they need is one good product to let Palm be more attractive to other buyers.

Its really sad, but in this day and age, I'm not sure what other innovative things Palm can offer. Basically, all of their innovations on the treo (ringer switch, 5 way nav, threadded SMS) have been copied by most of their competitor. And new innovations (visual voicemail, touch scrolling, a better mobile browser, excellent syncing with PC/Mac) have been deployed by others already.

Yes, Palm is dying a slow death. No one wants buy their product outside the US, their stock is plummeting (down by 7% today), Most of their Treos feels like bricks, Palm OS users constantly needs to reset their Treos to keep it in tip-top shape (this was actually suggested in the official Palm Blog a few months ago) and the overall slowness of 3rd party development in recent months.

I guess we just have to wait and see if they can get back in the game.
    Yes, WM is bloated, and POS is limited. But a wonderful thing happened when I picked up my 700wx 5 months ago- I also tried out StyleTap. I'd say nearly 90pct of apps I tried worked on WM. When I need something quickly, I use ST and Palm OS apps. When I need power and multi-tasking, I use WM apps.

After multitasking with Opera Mini, Morphgear, Slingbox, et al, I'm never going back.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Is it really necessary to bring this crap up weekly? Another nail, Palm is dying, blah blah... Shouldn't this be in an Off Topic type forum?
    Yea, I'm tired of the Palm is dead mantra...perhaps it should be Garnet is dead. I'd probably consider a Palm phone in the future, but it will NOT be a Garnet phone.

But I would agree the age of Garnet really turns me off to buying new software and this has to trickle down to the developers who make money on said software and thus helps developers decide to move to greener pastures. However, there are still plenty or WM developers and plenty of WM Palms to develop software for, so I'm not following how the fate of Palm is tied to this single issue...
    Treo's still getting the job done, still outperforming iPhone (for now). Other than getting the big-screen iPhone goodness, havent found a need to switch. Will try multitasking via http://www.ranosoft.net/sublauncher/ .
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Is it really necessary to bring this crap up weekly? Another nail, Palm is dying, blah blah... Shouldn't this be in an Off Topic type forum?
    We are talking about a Treo in the "Treo General Chat" Forum, so I hardly see this as off topic discussion.

Discussing these types of things raises awareness and helps us discuss what options are available.

I was hit with the thought that prompted this thread when Plaxo recently released a WM app to perform OTA sync with Plaxo sync points. Very unlikely we'll ever see a Palm app for Plaxo. Let's face it, development interest in Garnet is shrinking faster everyday.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    So, to sum it up, Palm is dying a slow death. But, by the time all these other companies get it figured out, Palm will be back in the game.
    Would you put money on that? I sure wouldn't.

In the coming months, Google's smartphone OS is going hit the streets in a big way. Have you had a good look at what this OS offers? It is VERY versatile. After watching some of the demo videos, development videos, and checking out the simulator; I was thinking: "What is Palm doing wasting their time on an OS when there is a perfectly good solution right here."

Palm seems to enjoy throwing money down a rat hole. Perhaps they didn't quite learn their lesson with the Foleo mess and need another deadend project to waste more money on: AKA Palm OS II.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  10. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renn View Post
    Treo's still getting the job done, still outperforming iPhone (for now). Other than getting the big-screen iPhone goodness, havent found a need to switch. Will try multitasking via http://www.ranosoft.net/sublauncher/ .
    ONLY because of Windows Mobile.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    10 years from now, when PalmOS (garnet) is long dead, we still get this topic once a week in this forum.
    When palm dies, i'll switch. No biggie. Right now, the others still have work to do to pass them up.
    <dkirker shakes his head in dismay...>

Where do people keep getting this "Palm is dead" stuff?... I have been seeing this ever since I got started with PDAs 5 years ago.

It seems that Palm has already made it quite clear (by the announcements to use Linux earlier in the year, and by putting the Foleo on hold) that their commitment is with their new platform.

Platforms, as well as any other program, are not something that happens overnight. It takes time. You have to start at nothing, and build to something. During the process you don't have a completed product. Personally, I would rather see Palm invest in this new platform and release small iterations of the Treo or Centro in the mean time rather than try to please the public's "I want it now!!!!" antics.

My advice to my fellow Treo users (and this is what I am living by at the moment):
    Have faith, and in time good things will come.

Just because a company dips below the radar while working on a product doesn't necessarily mean that they are dead.

And, as a developer and a user, I have noticed some really amazing Garnet applications that have been strongly developed over the last year...
    Last edited by dkirker; 11/29/2007 at 06:17 PM.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    [I]
    Just because a company dips below the radar while working on a product doesn't necessarily mean that they are dead.

And, as a developer and a user, I have noticed some really amazing Garnet applications that have been strongly developed over the last year...
    I agree with this. Having not used Palm OS in a couple of years, I was happily surprised to see regular updates to all the major programs and still lots of free ones coming out left and right. Unless I'm missing something, I'm not seeing this "developers are abandoning Palm OS" shift. Last I checked, Google Maps went to Palm OS first, 4info (short lived) was on PalmOS first, Sprint IM and a few others (though Slingbox took forever ).

As far as using Palm adopting Android, I'll be blunt: plain awful idea

I mentioned this elsewhere: Palm doesn't make hardware. If they adopt Android, they now don't make Software either.

So what is Palm's role in the market place? They take a company's pre-developed OS, "tweak it" and put it on another company's hardware. Meanwhile HTC do it all in house. Why have a middleman?

That sounds like a viable company that can go forth and not get destroyed by Moto, HTC, Nokia and everyone else? I'm not even sure how you could describe such a company.

Palm can get away with that with WM, but everyone knows that's not a long-term solution for the company, just a way to diversify and bring in revenue. The core of Palm lies in them either selling their *own* OS on hardware they design (but outsource) or it is nothing.

Plus, since Android is "open" and is on Linux, what is stopping Palm from building their own Linux OS that has components and interoperability with Android and its core-services? Unless I missed some fine print, nothing.

That seems to be a much better plan.

And no, Palm cannot adopt Android or ALP "as a stop-gap until POSII is finished" for a few reasons:
    1. They literally cannot afford the cost nor to allocate the engineers
    2. It would be foolish to support 2 mobile Linux OSs who are competitors, OR
    3. They would have to abandon their new Android/ALP users when POSII is finished, which may be frowned upon

It all hinges on if Palm can deliver on the new OS, but with carriers starting to open up here in the U.S., the mobile revolution is just beginning, not ending.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Has any other company made so many mistakes after mistakes and actually survived?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Has any other company made so many mistakes after mistakes and actually survived?

Surur
    Yeah.

Apple
    Microsoft

Microsoft just has a ton of money behind it, so can just make all of the mistakes that it wants.

Apple, for years, was told that it was going to go belly up. They redefined the product lineup and seem to be doing quite fine. Growing actually.
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Apple, for years, was told that it was going to go belly up. They redefined the product lineup and seem to be doing quite fine. Growing actually.
    I dont follow Apple, but I dont recall them ever having to buy their name back.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    As far as using Palm adopting Android, I'll be blunt: plain awful idea

I mentioned this elsewhere: Palm doesn't make hardware. If they adopt Android, they now don't make Software either.
    Double ditto.

So what is Palm's role in the market place? They take a company's pre-developed OS, "tweak it" and put it on another company's hardware. Meanwhile HTC do it all in house. Why have a middleman?
    I am taking your statement two ways.... (I think I may just be misreading it?) I am assuming that you are describing what Palm has done with Windows Mobile.

Palm can get away with that with WM, but everyone knows that's not a long-term solution for the company, just a way to diversify and bring in revenue. The core of Palm lies in them either selling their *own* OS on hardware they design (but outsource) or it is nothing.
    Exactly! I recall even hearing somebody (I want to say Ed, but my memory is fuzzy) stating that Windows Mobile was not Palm's main goal.

And no, Palm cannot adopt Android or ALP "as a stop-gap until POSII is finished" for a few reasons:
    1. They literally cannot afford the cost nor to allocate the engineers
    2. It would be foolish to support 2 mobile Linux OSs who are competitors, OR
    3. They would have to abandon their new Android/ALP users when POSII is finished, which may be frowned upon

It all hinges on if Palm can deliver on the new OS, but with carriers starting to open up here in the U.S., the mobile revolution is just beginning, not ending.
    (smiley says agreed)
    Did you know:

Surur
    No, but they had to "buy" their CEO back. While they did not loose their name, they did loose their image.

Check out the "1994 to 1997" and "1998 to 2005" sections here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer

That will give a brief brief overview.

EDIT: THis sort of reflects the issues that Apple ran into: http://lowendmac.com/orchard/06/0207.html

as well as http://lowendmac.com/orchard/07/0409.html
    Last edited by dkirker; 11/29/2007 at 07:33 PM.
    Did you know:

Surur
    We get it, Palm is dead. Now riddle me this, why do we have to see the same thread on this forum every week?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast