Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1.    #1  
    So, what is the point of this? Could somebody enlighten me?

    See: http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/

    This is what it says:
    Garnet VM enables Nokia Nseries users to run thousands of Garnet OS (formerly Palm OS®) applications. Garnet VM supports some of the most popular applications in the mobile market including, Google Maps™, Snappermail®, DateBk5 and perennially popular games like Bejeweled®, PacMan and Sudoku. Choose from a wide variety of application types including, document processors, database managers, messaging, enhanced PIMs, life management tools, and more.
    Game over!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    So, what is the point of this? Could somebody enlighten me?
    To kill Palm?

    Surur
  3. #3  
    Sweet! So even if Palm dies, our applications will live. Does Palm seem increasingly irrelevant? There's a way to fix that, naturally... but they seem either unwilling or unable to do so...
  4. roams11's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    #4  
    Things like this offer us more options- and point to the value of having offered something like Foleo.
    Diluting the brand as it becomes more ubiquitous is only bad if you are not leading the offerings.
    The N810 was nice gps, wifi, keyboard... it just became a lot more attractive with this beta emulator.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
  5. #5  
    Wow installing now. If this get TomTom6 working on it, it would be great.
  6.    #6  
    Maybe this is an extreme viewpoint, but it is analogous to a DOS box.

    And aren't there better apps (or equivalent) for the Nseries than SnapperMail or DateBk5 (or similar)?
  7. lazaruz's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Maybe this is an extreme viewpoint, but it is analogous to a DOS box.

    And aren't there better apps (or equivalent) for the Nseries than SnapperMail or DateBk5 (or similar)?
    datebk5/6 is still the best calendar app out there- nothing on the nokia comes close (i have the 770 and will soon have the n810)

    claws-mail on the nokia is my opinion equal to snappermail (at least for what i use it for)

    but what it does allow me to do is to reuse my familiar databases as well as my collection of ebooks going back 10+ years
  8. #8  
    Just tried google map and bbejeweled, very playable with minor frame skip. I wonder if I can get blazer on it.

    In regard to PIM on the Nokia tablet series, actual you throw a rock on the street and the random people you hit carry a phone that has better PIM on it than my n800.
  9. #9  
    This is what amuses me... Access, for all Palm's *****ing, has got ALP going *and* managed to *port* Garnet? Palm, wake up...!!

    I hate to help swell heads at Google any larger, but I cannot wait for a credible Linux PDA option. Will it be iPhone+SDK? Will it be Palm (not likely, I'm sad to say)? Will it be a Google design-by-committee camel phone? I don't know... but someone better hurry up and give us some relief from ancient OS'es and WM.

    Above all, Access just solved a huge problem for Symbian... lack of app library. Nokia must be all grins.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Above all, Access just solved a huge problem for Symbian... lack of app library. Nokia must be all grins.
    Nokia tablets run Linux.

    Surur
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Nokia tablets run Linux.

    Surur
    Oh... my bad then. Hmm... I guess I'll have to take a closer look then, especially if I have the option of bringing forward my old Garnet apps there isn't a Linux equivalent for just yet.
  12. #12  
    I'm not sure why anyone would run Google Maps using this as the native Maemo Mapper does a much better job. However, there are a few things I would use this for, namely PIM purposes and a few puzzle games that don't have Maemo equivalents (PictureLogic aka Picross, and Cryptos, a cryptoquote app.)

    That being the case, Access does need to do a bit of work here: the N800 screen is 800x480 (landscape), and from what I read (havent tried it yet) this VM just runs programs in a portrait window in the middle of the screen, a rotation and scaling option to fill the screen emulating a 480x320 Palm would work better.

    Also, this is just a VM, not a compatibility layer like Access' Linux will use, and as such the Palm programs need their own launcher, etc. Also, this doesn't really say anything about the readiness of Access' Linux/emulation because its just a VM running an ARM OS (Garnet) on an ARM chip.
  13. #13  
    Also, Maemo does have a decent sized developer community, but its nowhere near the size of Palm's both now and especially not in the good old days.

    I'd much prefer developers made similar apps to run natively in Maemo, but this will definitely help.

    One last comment on an earlier post. Someone mentioned TomTom. MaemoMapper can also do routing over the internet for free (but you need to download the maps in advance, or be tethered to a phone the whole time), and Wayfinder / Navicore cost money but are exactly like TomTom in that the maps are always available off the memory card.

    Quite frankly I'd much rather use the full screen and resolution for navigation rather than a small 320x320 window.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would run Google Maps using this as the native Maemo Mapper does a much better job. However, there are a few things I would use this for, namely PIM purposes and a few puzzle games that don't have Maemo equivalents (PictureLogic aka Picross, and Cryptos, a cryptoquote app.)
    I agree. If they release it a year ago, and I can get TomTom to run on the TX resolution, it would have been a better option than MaemoMapper however the new firmware for n810/n800 is coming out soon and it will have a half way decent GPS software.

    That being the case, Access does need to do a bit of work here: the N800 screen is 800x480 (landscape), and from what I read (havent tried it yet) this VM just runs programs in a portrait window in the middle of the screen, a rotation and scaling option to fill the screen emulating a 480x320 Palm would work better.
    As far as emulator goes, this is probably version 0.3-0.5 quality.

    Also, this is just a VM, not a compatibility layer like Access' Linux will use, and as such the Palm programs need their own launcher, etc. Also, this doesn't really say anything about the readiness of Access' Linux/emulation because its just a VM running an ARM OS (Garnet) on an ARM chip.
    Well you see..... this is the only solid evident that ACCESS (formerly PalmSource) has been doing ANYTHING for the last 3-4 years so I will take whatever they give.
  15. #15  
    FYI to the above poster, check out cnet.com, there's a leak of a beta version of the new n810/n800 firmware.
  16.    #16  
    Oh! I get it!

    It is the Garnet OS application compatibility stuff for Linux that is supposed to run on the Foleo and future Palm Linux phones. Access is trying to get even with Palm for having been handed such a raw deal. (sell Palm OS, buy Palm OS etc.)
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Oh! I get it!

    It is the Garnet OS application compatibility stuff for Linux that is supposed to run on the Foleo and future Palm Linux phones. Access is trying to get even with Palm for having been handed such a raw deal. (sell Palm OS, buy Palm OS etc.)
    Well, yes and no. Both of them have been independently developing a Garnet Compatibility layer into their new Linux based OS. The difference is that Access said it first, and now they've released part of it for testing. It kind of makes Palm look like a "me-too" at this point.

    The beauty of ALP is that in addition to the Garnet compatibility layer they're also building in a Java layer, which Palm hasn't decided to do.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  18. #18  
    don't palm apps recognize the device thery're installed on not work if it's the right device. IE wne the Treo 755 came out we couldn't use PDA net for Treo 700 on it until the developer changed the "tags" or something. How will this work? This would be cool indeed if all these apps would work with no problems. It would be weird to have these apps as a postage stamp on the middle of the screen though!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    don't palm apps recognize the device thery're installed on not work if it's the right device. IE wne the Treo 755 came out we couldn't use PDA net for Treo 700 on it until the developer changed the "tags" or something. How will this work? This would be cool indeed if all these apps would work with no problems. It would be weird to have these apps as a postage stamp on the middle of the screen though!
    It lets you give a device ID to make it look like any Palm, if I'm not mistaken.
  20. #20  
    Man I am really considering getting one of these. something that will replace my laptop. We'll see what Santa brings...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions