Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    do you think there will be a way to do full screen? can anyone "hack" it to do that since it is open source? or is this up to the program developers to make a version specifically for that screen size?
    There's not a way to do fullscreen yet, but who knows what will happen.

Honestly I'd rather that the development community for Maemo was as large as Palm's rather than having to run certain apps in the VM, but I still really love my n800.
    there doesn't seem to be many maemo apps at all. is the developer community that dead?? is it open source? if so, why only a handful of apps??
    I rather ACCESS release the source code or just the api so the Maemo community can actually add in full screen or Maemo virtual keyboard and other retarded fundamental feature.

As it is the VM is unusable.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    there doesn't seem to be many maemo apps at all. is the developer community that dead?? is it open source? if so, why only a handful of apps??
    Yes its open-source. There's actually quite a few apps, but not nearly as many as Palm obviously.

Personally, I'd prefer more games taking advantage of the larger screen and the better resolution, but there's not really all that many.

Here's a list of most of the OS2007 apps (OS2008 will require a recompile for many apps.)

http://gronmayer.com/n800/repos/show...&system=maemo3
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    As an option for an internet tablet that combines all the applications from Palm I'm seriously tempted. So if they could sort out so you can get full screen display then it would be perfect!
    I take it this means multitasking with Garnet Apps? Sweet!!!
    I would jump all over an N810 if it weren't for the fact that the VM doesn't look like it runs full screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. This looks more like an emulation box to run garnet apps in. To the garnet apps, it looks like they're running on a 650 or whatever. So that emulator may still die and sputter (no memory protection), but it won't leak out into Linux land.

This is like the NTVDM in Windows... it gives you a sandbox to run the old stuff in, but it's still old stuff and behaves like it.
    Wish this could be ported over to the Asus Eee as well. Might get one then!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I agree. If they release it a year ago, and I can get TomTom to run on the TX resolution, it would have been a better option than MaemoMapper however the new firmware for n810/n800 is coming out soon and it will have a half way decent GPS software.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $GPS$ $s$/$w$ ($Nokia$'$s$ $Navigation$ $Kit$) $costs$ $as$ $much$ $as$ $the$ $N800$ $itself$. $So$ $I$'$m$ $certainly$ $interested$ $in$ $finding$ $out$ $if$ $TTN6$ $will$ $work$ $on$ $the$ $Garnet$ $VM$. $Anyone$ $test$ $this$ $yet$?

NavIt may be a viable option, along with OpenStreeMaps. Anyone try that?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    It's just a matter of months before the Maemo archives shadows the Palm archives. Porting existing linux apps will be as trivial as compiling in many cases.

Also, as a developer, I am much more motivated to create GNU s/w for 100% open platforms like Maemo than proprietary platforms like Palm. I suspect that's the case for others too.

Android is only partially open.. but then Google has a $10 million bounty on the person to write the best app collection, so there's some incentive for developers to favor Android over Maemo. Although Android is still linux, so it may still pay off for Maemo users.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I wonder if I can get blazer on it.
    Seems like an odd question.. Blazer is so feature poor (in a time when not many sites are on the ball with mobile friendly content), while the browser that comes with the N800 is fully featured.. even has flash. Why would you want Blazer? I'll be glad to dump it.
    Last edited by jgombos; 02/08/2008 at 03:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    This was always possible w/ the actual Garnet. Garnet's true multitasking capability is just not documented.. for some reason Palm wanted to discourage it. But you have the proof right in your avatar, assuming that's a screen snap of Articulation. Notice Articulation has the option of running in the background.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    StyleTap's coming to Symbian this quarter too http://styletap.com/index.php
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12