1.    #1  
    I bought a laptop, mainly to be able to install 3rd party apps onto my treo. I also prefer using the web with pda net, but now since I tweaked blazer that isn't such an issue.

My new laptop started breaking down since day one and it's heavy. I'm thinking of buying an Asus Eee if it will be enough of a companion to my Treo 755p.

Can we hotsyns to the Eee with the default os or do we need to install xp? Does pdanet work on the default os?

I need so little out of a laptop. My Treo is my baby. Mostly I just need to keep up my Treo and if possible have a larger screen for web, Word and Excel. Any advice?
    I don't think the E PC has bluetooth. The n800 however, has, you can use bluetooth DUN to get online. It's also cheaper.

EPC is probably not much better than the n800 as a Linux device. It's better as a windows machine.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Also, you might want to wait for the n810- not that I'll buy one, but it is oogle-worthy for a want-to-be Foleo owner.
    If you don't mind adding a second line to your plan, there is also the WM HTC Advantage.
    Many choices, all compromises. The Eee pc is tempting and Costco has it online.
    It might be a while before you can hotsync on any of these devices. Palm hasn't even been able to get Vista hotsync (7.0.1) out of beta yet.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
  4.    #4  
    If I put xp on the Eee, I can hotsyn and use pdanet, right?

n810 and n800 screens are too small. The Advantage is too expensive and still a mobile OE.

I want a regular OE and a keyboard comparable to my folding Think Outside bluetooth, or to be able to use it. I need at least a 5 inch screen. It needs to be affordable and under 3.5 pounds. It needs to hotsync and use pdanet or somehow connect to my phone for internet, and hopefully have wifi too.

If I put xp on the Eee it will do all this?
    Sure it should. But the pc will be sluggish. XP just wasn't made for that size laptop, resolution, and limited hardware specs.

You should wait IMO. That market is starting to rise. Give it more time.
    You will have to use a SD card to make do as the harddrive on the E PC. Don't expect half of the software will run or install properly on the SD card. For example, you probably have to go as far back as photoshop5 to get it run smoothly on the SD card. BTW I love those older apps, so much more responsive and smaller.
  7.    #7  
    I don't have many software needs right now. MS office and an Ancient Greek tutorial that was designed to run on WIN98 is it. Maybe some cookbook software, but I think I'm just going to buy PDAcookbook.

I love the old stuff too. Even DOS stuff often meets my needs. Is DOS included in XP? There is some great DOS freeware available if you only care about function and not eyecandy.

Honestly I just need a Treo companion to sync to and a larger screen for web and real MS Office.

If Eee doesn't meet my needs, I'll just finish overheating this piece if **** I have into the ground, until what I need comes out. My fingers are crossed that the market is about to explode with machines to fit my very simple needs. My Treo is my main computer.
    The device I am waiting for is the HTC Shift. It is a combo device with WM6 and Vista sharing the same screen and instantly changeable via a push of a button. It has a cellular modem builtin and accesable from both OS's.
    here is a demo video
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/13/h...gets-hands-on/
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I don't have many software needs right now. MS office and an Ancient Greek tutorial that was designed to run on WIN98 is it. Maybe some cookbook software, but I think I'm just going to buy PDAcookbook.

I love the old stuff too. Even DOS stuff often meets my needs. Is DOS included in XP? There is some great DOS freeware available if you only care about function and not eyecandy.
    Dos support in XP is poor, but you can install DosBox in either XP or Linux to get perfect (well pretty close) DOS emulation.

Honestly I just need a Treo companion to sync to and a larger screen for web and real MS Office.

If Eee doesn't meet my needs, I'll just finish overheating this piece if **** I have into the ground, until what I need comes out. My fingers are crossed that the market is about to explode with machines to fit my very simple needs. My Treo is my main computer.
    Linux can handle bluetooth DUN, depending on what packages you have installed. I haven't touched the EEE personally, and usually use a different flavor of Linux so I couldn't walk you through it, but if you install a USB bluetooth dongle the EEE theoretically should be able to do it (not with PDAnet as there's no Linux version, but with the DUN hack). There are also several open-source sync programs for Linux...but most of them haven't been updated for ages (then again neither has the PalmOS) so they may or may not work with your phone. Worth a try.

You should also be able to install WINE on the EEE to run those older Win98 programs. You can pretty much install most Windows programs as a native Linux app that way.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  10.    #10  
    I just got comfy with Palm OS and was taking a nice deep breath. It looks like I'm about to tackle linux now. Now if I can somehow get the Sipix printer, I ordered off Amazon.com to work on this, I'll be in heaven. I found an xp driver for the Sipix, but maybe I can find a linux one.

The Shift looks good, but I have Vista on this horrible laptop and don't want it. Maybe if they put out an xp version, we'll see.

I also think the online community for the Eee will be STRONG, because it's affordable to more people. Buying the Shift would be EXTREMELY painful to me and I'd be really scrounging to pay for it.
    IF you want xp on something like the EEE, wait a little bit. MS and Asus announced a joint effort on bringing XP to the EEE. I think I saw a target date of December but I'm not sure.
  12.    #12  
    I've been thinking about this all day. I could change my mind if I hear about people specifically using the Linux and specifically the treo 755p withUSB Modem and the Linux desktop, but I think I'm going to wait and see what pops up for Christmas and right afterwards.

I think I really want XP.
    You can put XP on the EPC now. If you wait for the "official version", you will have to pay for the XP tax.
  14.    #14  
    I'm timid to put the XP on myself. I'm afraid my hard drive will be full of stuff it doesn't need to be. I think the preinstalled XP will function better.

I could pay to have it put on, but I prefer to always have a factory reinstall disk that includes my OE because I often need to strip my drive down and start over.

When a computer or phone is a toy, I like to play and learn. Right now with my memory issues, I just can't play. These machines HAVE to function correctly. I cannot function without my calendar, memos, contacts and google map.

Maybe I could get quite the guru to make me a reinstall stick that includes XP :-0