1.    #1  
    The Treo 180 was announced 6 years ago this month. Hard to believe how far the Treo has come from the monochrome 180x180 pixel, 16mb of memory, (piece of crap) flip lid, the option for the graffiti model, and GPRS.

The mute switch is still there (minus the 500v) and just like all Treo's there is still the special sauce that helps with the navigation. Back in the day we had TC Ringer, now we have Minitones (a great piece of freeware),and all the Treo's can send and receive text messages (Treo 300 anyone?).

But on the flip side (no pun intended) the treo still doesn't have wifi, and tired (But tried) OS is aging every day (today more then others with Google's announcement), and the hardware is just looking fatter every day.

So happy birthday Treo! Get your *** in gear!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Let me even take you further back.

Do you remember the Treo 90 sans phone...Treos as we know them today started from that design.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Remember when Treos were made by Handspring. Was the 600 a handspring design?
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
  4.    #4  
    In all fairness, the Treo 180 was announced before the Treo 90. The Treo 90 was release around the time of the Treo 270. And after all that the Treo 300.

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
    Remember when Treos were made by Handspring. Was the 600 a handspring design?
    The Original Treo 600 was designed and built by Handspring. It was the last device before they were bought by Palm.
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Wow, I just look up a Treo 180 review. The phonebook, datebook and blazer layout look practically the same. Amazing (not in a bad way). 6 internet year is like 18 real world year! The review also show a blackberry device, which is a pager, I have totally forgotten those!
    My first Treo was the 300 which I bought brand new for $150 on Amazon about 6 months before the 600 was released.

I really like the 300 - maybe because it was my first cell/pda/email/web device. And my flip top never broke.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    me too turbo tiger. treo 300 was my first treo. I LOVED it. it was also my first experience with email, web, IM, sms, etc in one device. I could not get off that thing. then the 600 came out & it was like woahhhh. but oh look what happened when palm's dumb azz bought handspring... they started the incremental upgrades with virtually no changes. they go from 600-650-750-700-680-755-690 (centro). I mean 5 years and we are still on the 700's??????????? Handspring went from 180-270-300-600 (270-300 came out less than a year from each other). handspring was concerned with getting innovative devices to consumers & being ahead of any potential competition. and look where Palm has taken the Treo line...
    yeah but they are all really just visor-phones in disguise
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    me too turbo tiger. treo 300 was my first treo. I LOVED it. it was also my first experience with email, web, IM, sms, etc in one device. I could not get off that thing. then the 600 came out & it was like woahhhh. but oh look what happened when palm's dumb azz bought handspring... they started the incremental upgrades with virtually no changes. they go from 600-650-750-700-680-755-690 (centro). I mean 5 years and we are still on the 700's??????????? Handspring went from 180-270-300-600 (270-300 came out less than a year from each other). handspring was concerned with getting innovative devices to consumers & being ahead of any potential competition. and look where Palm has taken the Treo line...
    I agree. I miss Handspring. The 600 was such a groundbreaking phone. What is strange is that hawkins and colligan both from handspring went to palm. I don't know where the innovation went after that.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    I was the proud owner of a Treo 180 and then a 270. These were, in their way, groundbreaking devices. Imagine - a phone, a PDA, and an internet device all in one! Then came the 600 and blew the lid (flip?) off the market! A bit slimmer now, and lost the antenna, but the form factor remains one of the best things about the Treo. Sure, it's fat compared to the Dash or the Q, but still quite usable and easier, some might say, to hold on to. Yes, the OS is looking a bit dated, but hopefully, that is about (2009? too long!) to change.
    I remember my first Treo was the 300 and my lid broke, ended up getting a new phone thru the insurance, then the beautiful 600 came out, man what a difference, now every Treo is just a shinnier version of the 600, nothing ground breaking since then
  13. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203 View Post
    I remember my first Treo was the 300 and my lid broke, ended up getting a new phone thru the insurance, then the beautiful 600 came out, man what a difference, now every Treo is just a shinnier version of the 600, nothing ground breaking since then
    Quite. Their track record is pretty appalling really isn't it. The Palm+Phone idea was Handsprings. It was Sony that brought Color, HiRes, Bluetooth, keyboards and even WLAN to the PalmOS table. While other manufacturers have been charging ahead with multi-tasking, 3G, WiFi and built in GPS as standard all Palm have done since is d*ck around with the case, and that's all they're still doing now with the 700p, 680, 755 and Centro.

No wonder they're such a laughing stock. They've only themselves to blame; it's not as if every reviewer, journo and user hasn't told them so with every half-hearted release.
    Last edited by Me2; 11/06/2007 at 12:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    No, the Qualcomm PDQ by *FAR* beat all Palm/Handspring smartphones/PDA Phones to the market. In many ways (a two-tiered display with partial protection afforded by the "flip", Graffiti + a small 0-9 phone keypad) it was a superbly innovative device for its time.

And in the almost-decade since its release, it's amazine only seen the full retail price/unlocked price from the PDQ's $700-$800 to something like a 755p/700wx/700p at $500-$600ish. And the PDQ came with a sync/charge cradle too...

http://archives.cnn.com/1999/TECH/pt...pdq/index.html

P.S. And let me mention that Qualcomm managed to squeeze in a non-square screen into the package...something Palm has yet to do!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    they go from 600-650-750-700-680-755-690 (centro). I mean 5 years and we are still on the 700's??????????? Handspring went from 180-270-300-600 (270-300 came out less than a year from each other)
    I kinda miss having a Treo with a model number that was a multiple of 30. I always thought Treo was a play on the idea it was three devices in one. Treo 650 killed this trend... thnx palm...
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    The 300 is where it first started for me. I still remember debating getting a Sidekick for months because it was the only device that you could get with an unlimited data plan. Then Sprint announced $10 Vision and the rest was history.

We do have diminishing returns, however. We've passed the point where we continue to be amazed by newly discovered features, and are instead annoyed when we find something that doesn't work.

Years ago we were in awe at color screens, SD cards, MP3 playback and push email. Now we have Cable TV, streaming video and audio, GPS, WiFi, and SNES emulators.

I don't think there will ever be a device that changes the mobile landscape the way the 300 did. It opened the gateway to the internet on a phone and made it affordable. The rest is just details.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I satared w/ the Palm Pilot then Handsring Visor Deluxe, Prism, Treo 300, 700p a now Centro.
    But I definitely got most excited when I got the 300.
    Getting the color screen on the Prism was pretty exciting but not the thrill I had getting the 300.
    BTW - my best device so far is the Centro.
    Good Luck