Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 104
  1.    #1  
    With today's announcement of the new Google mobile phone OS, Android. Is Palm's fate pretty much sealed? It is a multi platform OS based on Linux that will make its debut in mid 08. Should Palm have signed on like HTC, Samsung, Motorola and others and scrapped its idea of developing its own OS that will surely be delayed. I think so, I personally think is the last nail in the recently inept company known as Palm. Too bad, they were once #1.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    With today's announcement of the new Google mobile phone OS, Android. Is Palm's fate pretty much sealed? It is a multi platform OS based on Linux that will make its debut in mid 08. Should Palm have signed on like HTC, Samsung, Motorola and others and scrapped its idea of developing its own OS that will surely be delayed. I think so, I personally think is the last nail in the recently inept company known as Palm. Too bad, they were once #1.
    I think it would be a good move for Palm to sign on and develop its Garnet layer for the Android OS as a value add for Palm customers. Whether that happens or not, we shall see.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  3. #3  
    Whatever Palm has simmering in their pot, it better be outstanding, or they might as well turn off the stove and go back to setting places on the table and let the real chefs do their thing.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Whatever Palm has simmering in their pot, it better be outstanding, or they might as well turn off the stove and go back to setting places on the table and let the real chefs do their thing.
    The problem is even if they do they are almost a year behind Google and Google doesn't put out crap products. Palm, on the other hand, has had a few issues with releases lately.

    I think Palm's best alternative to stay alive is to totally become a WM device because anything else they put up with their own software is not going to compete against Apple and Google who are going to be on the 2nd or 3rd generation devices by the time Palm releases its new OS.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    The problem is even if they do they are almost a year behind Google and Google doesn't put out crap products. Palm, on the other hand, has had a few issues with releases lately.

    I think Palm's best alternative to stay alive is to totally become a WM device because anything else they put up with their own software is not going to compete against Apple and Google who are going to be on the 2nd or 3rd generation devices by the time Palm releases its new OS.
    And become a "me too" like all the other manufactures that use Win Mobile. Sorry, but Win Mobile is not the answer. The only reason its popular is because there is little other choice out there for mobile OS as both the blackberry OS and the iphone OS are proprietary.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    And become a "me too" like all the other manufactures that use Win Mobile. Sorry, but Win Mobile is not the answer. The only reason its popular is because there is little other choice out there for mobile OS as both the blackberry OS and the iphone OS are proprietary.
    As is the PalmOS? What's your point?

    However, this new Android OS won't be proprietary at all and if Palm is smart it will use it.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    As is the PalmOS? What's your point?

    However, this new Android OS won't be proprietary at all and if Palm is smart it will use it.
    I agree. The PalmOS has never been what I would call "earthshattering" in terms of power. It has been the user interface of the PalmOS that has won the hearts and minds of many.

    The ease-of-use of that interface is what differentiated Palm from the others. The competition has caught up, and in some cases, surpassed Palm in that category.

    I think Palm would do well to adopt a solid platform and concentrate on the user experience. Look what that has done for Apple. The iPhone is locked down and has no REAL 3rd-party support--yet. Had it not been for its outstanding interface (eye-candy), smartphone users would have avoided it like the plague. But instead, people have flocked to it--because it's beautiful. Yes, there are problems with some of its interface components (too many taps for what should be simple tasks), but it LOOKS great--and that counts for a lot in this superficial world.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  8. #8  
    Well Wind River Systems is part of the alliance. Maybe this will be good for Palm.
  9. #9  
    This thread should just have joined this one from 9/2005:

    The end of Palm OS...


    Or This is what we are missing: a palm company that works or Is the Palm OS really dead ? or the end of Palm or R.I.P. PalmOS, etc. etc. since it's not exactly original.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/05/2007 at 02:01 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Well Wind River Systems is part of the alliance. Maybe this will be good for Palm.
    Wind River Systems is part of the alliance.
  11. #11  
    Gee. It's another PalmOS is dead thread. How about calling the new Google phone a "Treo-killer"? BTDT
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Well Wind River Systems is part of the alliance. Maybe this will be good for Palm.
    Wind River Systems is part of the alliance.
    Also, Wind River Systems is part of the alliance.
  13. #13  
    maybe google buys palm and cancels the new palm os
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Gee. It's another PalmOS is dead thread. How about calling the new Google phone a "Treo-killer"? BTDT
    Well considering the next Palm OS isn't coming out until 09, I think its accurate.

    Palm would be wise to dump its plans for its own OS and jump on the Google band wagon. They could add their own touch on top of the base OS and have a really great product. If continue down their current path, they will be out of business long before 09.
  15. #15  
    I wouldn't get excited over an OS that doesn't exist.

    WM is the crap one. Palm's only worry is apple..not google.
  16. #16  
    Everyone is getting unnecessarily moist over something we don't have any concrete deets on yet, just the usual fluff about ''open source'' this and that.

    Let's not wear our undies in the dark.... just yet.

    Win Mobile is a very versatile O.S, no matter how 'clunky' some describe it, and i'll take it over the Palm O.S anyday right this moment in time.

    Open source is admirable as long as it's not a pain getting apps, apps with GUI's mind you, and not command-line whatevers...

    Anyway, let's get some more details before another 'Palm is dead' or 'Nail in Palm's Coffin' threads.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Everyone is getting unnecessarily moist over something we don't have any concrete deets on yet, just the usual fluff about ''open source'' this and that.

    Let's not wear our undies in the dark.... just yet.

    Win Mobile is a very versatile O.S, no matter how 'clunky' some describe it, and i'll take it over the Palm O.S anyday right this moment in time.

    Open source is admirable as long as it's not a pain getting apps, apps with GUI's mind you, and not command-line whatevers...

    Anyway, let's get some more details before another 'Palm is dead' or 'Nail in Palm's Coffin' threads.
    all of these posts show that Palm has failed it's user base and we are so discouraged with Palm. They used to be number #1. They could have delivered our Linux Treos when Apple delivered the Iphone. But no, they have wasted Company time and resources on The foleo. Do they know they are in trouble? Cannot they go to work 24/7; Why did they say they would have a linux treo by year's end and then postpone it. Could they not salvage anything they have been working on for years. The nails keep hitting the coffin. We all want our linux treos. We still have Access in the background along with that company in Israel.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I wouldn't get excited over an OS that doesn't exist.

    WM is the crap one. Palm's only worry is apple..not google.
    Hmmm. You don't think that a company which could swallow Palm in a blink of an eye now decides to enter the phone OS market after developing software for the past three years is an issue? A company which only hires the best and the brightest? A company which does not produce vaporware, but does produce software which can be regarded as some of the best in the industry isn't a threat? You're kidding right?
  19. #19  
    treocentral should have a final nail counter on the front page. what nail is this? is there any wood left for any more nails?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  20. #20  
    You know what guys, we've proclaimed a lot of nails on Palm's coffin the past few months or even years...

    but they're still there...

    so i'm beginning to be immune to all that "nail in the coffin" talk already...
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions