Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    I agree. The PalmOS has never been what I would call "earthshattering" in terms of power. .
    You must have grown up under a rock or something. The PalmOS, now Garnet, defined the mobile OS world.

It was not only earth shattering, it was revolutionary.

I agree with you that Palm OS looks like a dinosaur now, but in it's day it was ground breaking.

Let's hope Palm can do this again.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    You must have grown up under a rock or something. The PalmOS, now Garnet, defined the mobile OS world.

It was not only earth shattering, it was revolutionary.

I agree with you that Palm OS looks like a dinosaur now, but in it's day it was ground breaking.

Let's hope Palm can do this again.
    On the contrary. I've used PalmOS since Version 3. I'm a long-time PalmOS user. I said it was never earth-shattering IN TERMS OF POWER. I'm not saying that it wasn't revolutionary (for its day). The two mean different things.

In any case, in this day and age, compared to its competition, PalmOS is weak. If you think otherwise, take off your blinders and look at what other OS platforms are offering.

Don't get me wrong. I love what the PalmOS has done for PDAs and smartphones. But the world doesn't stand still...and computer technology changes/evolves lightening fast. Tech companies that can't keep up with the pace of technology will get run over by those that can.

I just hope that Palm can get their act together before it is too late. I want Palm to be successful. More competition is always good for the consumer.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    You know what guys, we've proclaimed a lot of nails on Palm's coffin the past few months or even years...
    Excellent point. It is so easy to throw daggers, but very hard to come up with actual solutions.

Example: Iphone was portrayed as the best thing since sliced bread. Guess what: It isn't. For the Ipod type, it is perfect. For most it isn't the perfect device.

Palm came out swinging the the Centro. It wasn't ground breaking, but it sure hell cut the legs out from under much of its competitors. I believe Palm is going to do it again with it's next Flagship Smart phone. We got a glimps of this with the 800w rumors...

Palm did let itself get knocked back a bit by the competitors, but the game isn't over yet. I believe Palm is going to come out with a new flagship device that is going to compete well in the market place. I don't believe Palm is gong to "WOW" us with the next best thing known to man, but they will come out with a device that is better than most. That's what we really all want isn't it? A device that is the best in MOST aspects of the game. The Iphone certainly can't say this....
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    Hmmm. You don't think that a company which could swallow Palm in a blink of an eye now decides to enter the phone OS market after developing software for the past three years is an issue? A company which only hires the best and the brightest? A company which does not produce vaporware, but does produce software which can be regarded as some of the best in the industry isn't a threat? You're kidding right?
    Some of the best software in the industry? Where? I haven't bought anything google. Are you talking about a search engine and online email? This is your best software?

Sorry. That's apples & oranges from an OS. Or even a browser.

Google is nothing more than a search engine that makes its living off of click ads. Yep, an ad driven OS on a cellphone is really what i want. Gee, i might be able to do a google search on a gphone in the future. Cool.. Yeah, Palm should be scared..lol
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I wouldn't get excited over an OS that doesn't exist.

Palm's only worry is apple..not google.
    Are you kidding?? Maybe you should get a job with Palm. You both seem to live in the same delusional world.
    Last edited by ArgonNJ; 11/06/2007 at 05:34 PM.
  6.    #26  
    Palm came out swinging the the Centro. It wasn't ground breaking, but it sure hell cut the legs out from under much of its competitors. I believe Palm is going to do it again with it's next Flagship Smart phone. We got a glimps of this with the 800w rumors...

It did?? Funny the Centro is nothing more then the 755p in a new shape. Nothing new here. Much of its competitors? You mean HTC, RIM, Apple and Motorola. You can't really be that naive.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I wouldn't get excited over an OS that doesn't exist.

'zactly.

Oh wait we werent' talking about the new palm os but rather the google OS with the SDK coming out in a few days....
    Every time something new happens the threads about Palm's impending death get started.
    The new blackberry is coming, Palm is dead.
    The iPhone is coming, Palm is dead.
    The google phone is coming, Palm is dead.
    Sour skittles are coming, Palm is dead.

Stop crying wolf please, it's already old, now it's just stupid.
    Some of the best software in the industry? Where? I haven't bought anything google. Are you talking about a search engine and online email? This is your best software?

Sorry. That's apples & oranges from an OS. Or even a browser.

Google is nothing more than a search engine that makes its living off of click ads. Yep, an ad driven OS on a cellphone is really what i want. Gee, i might be able to do a google search on a gphone in the future. Cool.. Yeah, Palm should be scared..lol

Well, indexing and making available in less than a second billions and billions and billions of pages of data isn't an accomplishment? (In 2006 Google had an estimated 220 TB of data -- that terabytes which 1 TB = 1024 GB).

You do know that Google essentially runs its own Operating Systems in all their data centers around the world right?

Making a phone call versus handling this amount of data across 40 different data centers around the world all coordinating with each other with approximately 750,000 servers all acting in concert with each other is definitely not the same.

You really need to come up to speed on what Google does because they have a hell of lot more expertise in programming than Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Every time something new happens the threads about Palm's impending death get started.
    The new blackberry is coming, Palm is dead.
    The iPhone is coming, Palm is dead.
    The google phone is coming, Palm is dead.
    Sour skittles are coming, Palm is dead.

Stop crying wolf please, it's already old, now it's just stupid.
    The earlier cries that "Palm is dead" were just a bit ahead of themselves. I think it's clear that they are accelerating their descent to death. Look at their numbers, look at the competition and their numbers, look at the vast variety of devices out now, and look at Palm's existing and "new" products. It's sad, but the data are clear and convergent-- Palm is in dire straits and doesn't have much time to recover...it's hard to argue convincingly otherwise.
    Last edited by MobileGuy; 11/06/2007 at 05:20 PM.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    The demise is slow but steady. They are crippled in many ways, and as you've said, do not seem have the resources to mount the necessary comeback in time.

Palm is sick.
    Palm is sick, but still boasts the best smartphone today. Right now.

It's even the cheapest.
    Michael Mace has an interesting view that is contradictory to many here:
    Impact on Apple, RIM, and Palm: Probably none at all. A lot of the coverage of Android is positioning it as some sort of challenger to iPhone and RIM.

I don't buy it.

Apple, RIM, and Palm all make integrated systems in which the software and hardware are coordinated together to solve a user problem. Android, by contrast, is only an operating system. It's plumbing, not the whole house. Unless Google's handset licensees magically develop the ability to design for users -- a feat equivalent to a giraffe sprouting wings -- their products won't be any better as systems solutions than they are today. The OS hasn't been the thing holding them back, and changing OS won't alter the situation.

Android puts interesting financial pressure on Microsoft, but it doesn't directly solve any compelling user problems. If it eventually drives a great base of mobile applications, that might eventually be attractive to some users. But in that case the systems vendors could just add a copy of Google's application runtime (it's open source, they can grab it anytime they want). Or they could host their devices on Google's plumbing. Palm and RIM might both benefit if they could transfer engineers away from core OS and toward adding value that's visible to users.
    and ironically, he sees the worst for Access/ALP
    Impact on Access: Ugly ugliness. How do you sell your own version of Linux when the world's biggest Internet company is giving one away? I don't know.
    Read the rest: http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.co...s-company.html

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    They are crippled in many ways, and as you've said, do not seem have the resources to mount the necessary comeback in time.
    Elevation Partners just infused $325 million with options of $400 million and an unused $30 million line of credit. They are going to be around, and might just benefit from going through this lean product cycle- if they are a learning company like Apple of old.

Talk of nails in Palm's coffin here is more emotion over the frustration with their past...the piling on of delays and the unresponsiveness to a quickly changing market. Even last quarter's loss would have been a profit if it were not for the $10 million charge they took for not selling Foleo I. They lost less than $1 million.

I'd argue Palm could quietly position itself to be a sleeper hit with smart phones and beyond, with patience and open doors.

Palm just benefited from the biggest investment in it's history. They need some time to prove they can follow through with vision. Competition makes it crucial they execute this time. Complaining here does not make them go away. In fact they are still selling Centro's and Treo's surprisingly well.

Still, I agree they should be working 24/7, moving up release dates, getting the new OS on the phones and pounding away at their vision until the new OS is adapted into a stable alternative to PC's and Macs.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    Elevation Partners just infused $325 million with options of $400 million and an unused $30 million line of credit. They are going to be around, and might just benefit from going through this lean product cycle- if they are a learning company like Apple of old.

Talk of nails in Palm's coffin here is more emotion over the frustration with their past...the piling on of delays and the unresponsiveness to a quickly changing market. Even last quarter's loss would have been a profit if it were not for the $10 million charge they took for not selling Foleo I. They lost less than $1 million.

I'd argue Palm could quietly position itself to be a sleeper hit with smart phones and beyond, with patience and open doors.

Palm just benefited from the biggest investment in it's history. They need some time to prove they can follow through with vision. Competition makes it crucial they execute this time. Complaining here does not make them go away. In fact they are still selling Centro's and Treo's surprisingly well.

Still, I agree they should be working 24/7, moving up release dates, getting the new OS on the phones and pounding away at their vision until the new OS is adapted into a stable alternative to PC's and Macs.
    I like your perspective my friend. I am agreeing 100% with you on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGuy View Post
    The earlier cries that "Palm is dead" were just a bit ahead of themselves. I think it's clear that they are accelerating their descent to death. Look at their numbers, look at the competition and their numbers, look at the vast variety of devices out now, and look at Palm's existing and "new" products. It's sad, but the data are clear and convergent-- Palm is in dire straits and doesn't have much time to recover...it's hard to argue convincingly otherwise.
    Palm's numbers have been on a rollercoaster since the late 90's, and despite that and every cry of their death, they are still here.
    When Palm announces that they are leaving the smartphone market I'll have my black suit ready, until then it's just more of the same inane speculation and rhetoric.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Palm's numbers have been on a rollercoaster since the late 90's, and despite that and every cry of their death, they are still here.
    When Palm announces that they are leaving the smartphone market I'll have my black suit ready, until then it's just more of the same inane speculation and rhetoric.
    Of course we're all speculating, but to say that such speculation is "inane" is silly. The industry is in constant flux, and thinking ahead is a critical part of the business. As a user, investor, and participant in the industry, many of us have to make bets on where things are going in the short and longer-term. To deny Palm is in trouble is to deny reality. And when a company is struggling and faces direct competition from some of the biggest and smartest players in the industry, speculating their eventual demise (or absorption) is a rational conclusion. But if you feel strongly that this talk of Palm's demise is really so ridiculous, I suggest you get all the $ you can and invest it in Palm, since its very low stock price is based squarely on this inane speculation.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGuy View Post
    Of course we're all speculating, but to say that such speculation is "inane" is silly. The industry is in constant flux, and thinking ahead is a critical part of the business. As a user, investor, and participant in the industry, many of us have to make bets on where things are going in the short and longer-term. To deny Palm is in trouble is to deny reality. And when a company is struggling and faces direct competition from some of the biggest and smartest players in the industry, speculating their eventual demise (or absorption) is a rational conclusion. But if you feel strongly that this talk of Palm's demise is really so ridiculous, I suggest you get all the $ you can and invest it in Palm, since its very low stock price is based squarely on this inane speculation.
    The same bets and speculation have been made for years it is ridiculous to keep speaking of their death because it's the same repeated talks after each new device that hits the market, and yet they are still breathing at this time.

When the visor prisms came out Palm's stock dropped to $6 or something, that was in the 90's.
    Supposedly Palm was dead then.
    I'm not saying they are in the top tier of sales and shares, but to repeatedly claim year after year for 10 years straight that they have died is just plain stupid.
    Elevation Partners did not infuse Palm with money. They had to pay out $940 million to share holders to come up with the 25% of stock they sold to EP.
    What they did infuse them with is talent, whether they can make a come back only time will tell, It depends on how long it take EP to turn the company around.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Palm is sick, but still boasts the best smartphone today. Right now.

It's even the cheapest.
    I dont think palm is necessarily dead. All the talk of death and nail in the coffin is funny- sometimes it seems half the headlines at the treo forums are about "treo killers" but clearly palm is not the be all end all that it once was. I've had a treo 600, 650, and 700p and I cant help but look at all the blackberry and WM devices coming along and thinking everyone else is sprinting forward and Palm is still running a marathon pace. So the only thing that kept (or is keeping depending on your point of view) palm ahead is that they started the race way before anyone else entered it.

Anywho- the thing I wanted to point out is 'cheapest' only works on certain phones/ networks. If you want a pda on verizon then there's a slew of things cheaper then palm devices. The palm devices (POS and WM) are the most expensive smartphones on the verizon network.

verizon clearly doesn't like playing with palm anymore....
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast