1.    #1  
    Last night, I noticed that Palm updated their mobile web portal again & added quite a bit. Check it out as mobile.palm.com

The Weather Channel link is still broken though.
    They also removed some links like TreoCentral.
    Palm's portal is unusable.

It takes an eternity to download after clicking the link, and then it takes another eternity to download most if not all of the links within the portal.

Awful. Even on the centro, using ev-do, the site is terrible.

I'm amazed more people don't complain about it, and even more amazed that palm doesn't upgrade it for better mobile usability.
  4.    #4  
    PalmHead is wrong. If you click on "News", it takes you to a set of links. Scroll down to the end & under "Other", TreoCentral is still listed. However, on my VZW 700p with _1.10 firmware, the new Palm Mobile Portal is faster & you can click on the links even when it isn't fully downloaded & the links come up fast. Yes, I'm using VZW EV-DO.
    Thanks. Glad to be wrong. I'll have to check it out more carefully. I did prefer the previous layout - less scrolling.
    The Weather Channel link works for me.
  7. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    The link to youtube tells me this portal wasn't meant for me and my 680.
    No kidding at all - this site is ridiculous. Does anyone else find this site unusable?

For a "mobile" site, it takes a full minute to download the front page, and then just hangs on every link once it does finish downloading. Useless if I need info on the fly.

Seriously. Anyone else experience the same problems?
    I have no problems accessing it and using the links. But to be quite frank, once I find a site I like, I save it as a bookmark so I can get to it directly, eliminating one step.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  10.    #10  
    FYI, looks like Palm responded and UPDATED their new Palm Mobile Portal again. It is quicker, single file, more streamlined!
  11.    #11  
    Whoops, not true. Please disregard my post above! It is not single file. My Blazer web browser must have had a momentary lapse!! Sorry for the mis-info.
    Uggg... its much worse than the old version. The top of the page doesn't even render right on IE mobile.
    went to weather channel. Nice. Had not had on my phone before. Links to traffic, ect also nice.
    But the links within the site take an intolerable amount of time to download. As has been stated before, the site will just hang as that arrow spins around that web "globe" for at least a few minutes.

Other site like eboogie, mobilewebbrower and treowebportal respond the way a real mobile portal should.

I have no idea why palm's is so unusable. Seriously!
    i don't know why you are having so much trouble.....i just went to mobile.palm.com 6 times......each time i timed from pressing GO til fully loaded, then went to another site, cleared cache and went back to palm.
    results: 4 times took 6 secs to load, once 7 secs to load and once 9 secs to load.

also, all links work for me....

could this be a ev-do vs 1xrtt issue?
    Scott K
    PalmPilot -> PalmPilotPro ->
    HandspringNeo w/ Sprint PCS Wireless Digital Link ->
    Treo 755p Blue -> Treo 800w

bmwr606@yahoo.com
    I'm still on my 650, so its possible. The lag is definitely there for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwk75s View Post
    i don't know why you are having so much trouble.....i just went to mobile.palm.com 6 times......each time i timed from pressing GO til fully loaded, then went to another site, cleared cache and went back to palm.
    results: 4 times took 6 secs to load, once 7 secs to load and once 9 secs to load.

also, all links work for me....

could this be a ev-do vs 1xrtt issue?
    For me, it averages over 9 seconds on EVDO using Blazer - which is very long for what's supposed to be a mobile site.

The 25KB site has 5 files, including a 14KB javascript file which does nothing but track usage, and a very inefficient 7KB html file.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I have no problems & like the new layout, but having a 680 means no youtube!
    I'm hosting a streamlined version of Palm's mobile page:
    http://m.keytoss.com/palm/
    It takes less than half the time to load. I also fixed an error in the Weather Channel link. On Palm's site, if you click on "Channel" it gives you an error page.

The internal Palm links still go to Palm's site, and will take as long to load as before.

This page may be temporary since I don't know how Palm will feel about this.
    Last edited by samkim; 11/19/2007 at 11:19 AM.