Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70
  1.    #1  
    I really like this program for true push email. I also love my Gmail. As you know, Gmail recently launched imap. It works very well, except for Chatter doesn't show attachments or html. It's something in Chatter that needs to be fixed in order to allow this. The developer is aware of it, but isn't sure if he'll address it. He recently updated the program to work with the Centro, so I know he's willing to work on it. I've just heard rumors that he's gone to work for Palm, and isn't actively developing it.

    If he's not going to actively develop the program, then shouldn't it be free? He's charging a premium for it (something like 40 bucks... almost half the price of a new Centro). Actually, I'd just prefer that he get Gmail imap working on it, and continue to develop it.

    Any ideas on how to influence the developer to fix this?
  2. #2  
    Marc does indeed now work for Palm. He has some people working with him, and even though they said there were not going to develop further, as you pointed out, they did just release a new version that would work with the Centro. You can go to their forum (http://siteground182.com/~digital/in...orum&Itemid=71) and note a number of questions about Gmail IMAP. As they love IMAP, if I were betting, I would think they will work on a fix, but no guarantees. You can log in there and ask nicely; but it's not good form to complain or demand. And just so you don't think you're all alone, read http://blog.proud-geek.com/2007/10/3...on-palm-treos/

    As for the cost of the program, you get a long trial period. If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it. I happen to love it. It gives me push Exchange and other IMAP clients, it's very flexible and can be tweaked incessantly for each account, and the summary screen alone is worth the cost to me. I can click the mail button and see every email in as many email accounts as I want, color coded and easily accessed. It's not perfect, and I also like Versamail, but Chatter is a great program and worth the money to me.
    Last edited by davidra; 11/01/2007 at 12:08 PM.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    If he's not going to actively develop the program, then shouldn't it be free?
    This argument makes no sense at all. Mark has devoted years to that program and it works on everything he claims it will work on, including Gmail (POP) which you can set up in the template in the program.

    I can't see how the program not working with one protocol on one email service means he should offer it for free. It's not like he guaranteed anyone it would work on every service. From what I recall, Pocket Outlook on WM also has some issues with not getting attachments and such, so should MS compensate all WM users some how?

    davidra
    is 100% correct: just kindly ask Mark to consider it, otherwise don't buy the program and use something else.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. #4  
    Plus, I believe Palm owns it now, so their charging the fee now.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    This argument makes no sense at all. Mark has devoted years to that program and it works on everything he claims it will work on, including Gmail (POP) which you can set up in the template in the program.

    I can't see how the program not working with one protocol on one email service means he should offer it for free. It's not like he guaranteed anyone it would work on every service. From what I recall, Pocket Outlook on WM also has some issues with not getting attachments and such, so should MS compensate all WM users some how?

    davidra
    is 100% correct: just kindly ask Mark to consider it, otherwise don't buy the program and use something else.
    It makes perfect sense. I'll spell it out for you:

    When someone buys a software program, there is a certain level of expectation that the developer will continue to make important updates to the program to allow it to continue running properly. Case in point, the new Centro. Had the developer not made the necessary changes to allow it to function properly on the Centro, previous customers who paid full price for Chatter to work on their previous treos would be out of luck. Since the program is apparently not being actively developed, Centro owners were at the mercy of the developer, and very lucky when the necessary updates were made. This sort of attitude seems fine for freeware, but I'm not sure I agree with charging a premium for a program, and then not providing the service that is expected.

    I'm not ready to throw the Chatter developer under the bus, nor am I ready to kiss his **** (like you) either. I'm simply asking how we might go about getting the word out to the developer/Palm to make the necessary changes to allow one of the most popular email services in the world to function properly with imap... and no, POP is not the solution.
  6. twitch3's Avatar
    Posts
    821 Posts
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    #6  
    Chatter was guaranteed to work with the Treo models that were stated when you purchased it. It was never guaranteed to work with future models. Marc stated in February, or eight months ago, that Chatter was no longer being developed so it should come at no surprise that there will not be updates. There is a big difference between adding a device code so the Centro will work and changing the way Chatter handles email. As far as making it free since it's no longer being developed, that's about the silliest thing I've ever heard. Maybe Microsoft will start handing out free copies of XP. Your argument makes no sense.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
  7. #7  
    Sorry....I'd like him to fix it too, but you're just not getting it. As noted, Marc posted this last February. That's enough warning, I would think:

    "The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things..."

    As of this past Monday, I have become an employee of Palm, Inc. and will
    no longer be actively working on ChatterEmail. This is something of a
    bittersweet decision for me; ChatterEmail has, after all, been a major
    part of my life these past few years. On the other hand, I believe that
    my best chance to make a long-term contribution to the Palm/Treo
    community is to put my knowledge and experience to work in a larger cause.

    There are a number of necessary correlaries to this announcement:

    1) I will no longer be actively developing ChatterEmail. However,
    ChatterEmail will continue to be available for new users through this
    site for the foreseeable future.

    2) Support will continue to be provided for the foreseeable future;
    however, I will not be doing this personally.

    3) Support will be less responsive than it has been. Users should
    mainly rely on the FAQs and these forums for help. Emergency requests
    for registration and connections issues can be mailed to priorityhelp@chatteremail.com; no other types of questions will be answered at that address.

    4) Please don't ask me what I'm working on; I won't be able to say
    anything about it.

    5) Josh M, who has been an invaluable resource for most of the last year, will be helping to provide continuity of support during this transition period.

    Josh and I really do appreciate all of the support that we and ChatterEmail have been given while working on this project, and we hope to return the compliment through our future work with Palm.

    Best wishes to all,

    Marc"

    Take it or leave it.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I'm not ready to throw the Chatter developer under the bus, nor am I ready to kiss his **** (like you) either. I'm simply asking how we might go about getting the word out to the developer/Palm to make the necessary changes to allow one of the most popular email services in the world to function properly with imap... and no, POP is not the solution.
    What's with the attitude?

    An answer was given to you: kindly ask him in his forums or contact him.

    What else is there to do?

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    Maybe Microsoft will start handing out free copies of XP. Your argument makes no sense.
    If instead of continuing to develop Windows by supporting XP and releasing Vista, Microsoft continued to just sell XP for full price and announced that they are all going to work for someone else... and that future updates, patches and bug fixes may or may not be performed... you bet- they'd need to either give XP away, or charge next to nothing for it... and you can bet the FTC would side with me on this one.

    This isn't that hard. How can a company charge the same full price for a product when it is no longer supported or being actively worked on, as they charged when the product was receiving all the attention? Just look at the official Palm/Chatter download page. There is no mention that the program is not being actively developed. In fact, they give every indication that the program will fully work with Gmail: "Continuously updated email when using IMAP servers that support IDLE",
    "Quick Setup wizard for the most popular email services including: Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Earthlink, Oracle OnDemand".
  10. #10  
    Well, I hope reading this thread doesn't ****-off Marc into doing nothing (in case he was otherwise thinking of working on this) ....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  11. #11  
    It would be more appropriate in my opinion to ask Google to correctly implement the imap protocol.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    It would be more appropriate in my opinion to ask Google to correctly implement the imap protocol.
    He has said himself that it is not a Google/Gmail issue, and that it is something that needs to be fixed within Chatter.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Well, I hope reading this thread doesn't ****-off Marc into doing nothing (in case he was otherwise thinking of working on this) ....
    I would hope that he doesn't have such tender little feelings, and can accept some suggestions from potential customers...
  14. #14  
    It occurs to me that Palm would not have gone to the trouble of buying the rights to Chatter or employing Marc, unless they had bigger things in mind. What would be the point? If Chatter were a completely dying program, why bother investing in it? My guess is that the new OS will incorporate some modified verion of Chatter and that VM will be history. My understanding of the official statements on Chatter, are that it is no longer being actively developed for the current Palm OS (Garnet) and that Marc, himself will not be working directly on Chatter's development, but on "something else." The most obvious, logical explanation would be that he is working on a Linux mail program for the new OS. This is just my humble opinion, however, and I've been wrong before (I voted for Bush, for example).

    If I'm right, and the new OS provides some portability for current users, the old Chatter program, would no longer be very marketable. If there is ever a point where Chatter will become freeware, that will likely be it. It would still be available for all those ebay buyers of old Treos. Until then, however, Palm's focus (rightfully so) will be to get a fully functioning new OS out, and not on developing the current product's compatibility with each third party development.

    Think about it, Palm took a major loss on the Foleo, completely abandoning the concept, because they realized if they want to remain a viable alternative they had to race the clock to get a new OS out, before they became irrelevant.

    Sorry, its late and I'm rambling.

    Stu
  15. #15  
    I remember Marc saying quite a few times that the gmail implementation of imap was definitely 'non-standard'.. to put it nicely.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Well, I hope reading this thread doesn't ****-off Marc into doing nothing (in case he was otherwise thinking of working on this) ....

    Oh, and by the way- I'm not the only one to voice an opinion with this issue.

    Check out this guy's blog. He goes off...http://blog.proud-geek.com/2007/10/3...on-palm-treos/
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    It occurs to me that Palm would not have gone to the trouble of buying the rights to Chatter or employing Marc, unless they had bigger things in mind. What would be the point? If Chatter were a completely dying program, why bother investing in it? My guess is that the new OS will incorporate some modified verion of Chatter and that VM will be history. My understanding of the official statements on Chatter, are that it is no longer being actively developed for the current Palm OS (Garnet) and that Marc, himself will not be working directly on Chatter's development, but on "something else." The most obvious, logical explanation would be that he is working on a Linux mail program for the new OS. This is just my humble opinion, however, and I've been wrong before (I voted for Bush, for example).

    If I'm right, and the new OS provides some portability for current users, the old Chatter program, would no longer be very marketable. If there is ever a point where Chatter will become freeware, that will likely be it. It would still be available for all those ebay buyers of old Treos. Until then, however, Palm's focus (rightfully so) will be to get a fully functioning new OS out, and not on developing the current product's compatibility with each third party development.

    Think about it, Palm took a major loss on the Foleo, completely abandoning the concept, because they realized if they want to remain a viable alternative they had to race the clock to get a new OS out, before they became irrelevant.

    Sorry, its late and I'm rambling.

    Stu
    That's a good theory, and your joke about voting for Bush cracked me up. I do wonder, however, if this is the case- then why would they bother fixing Chatter to work with the brand new Centro? They released version 3.09 of the software recently, and there are quite a few bug fixes in there, in addition to making it work with the Centro. Seems like they should either commit to it fully and continue to release updates (such as one that would work with Gmail imap), or make it freeware.
  18. #18  
    Marc warned everyone, Chatter is what it is for now. It sucks, but it does happen. Marc has nothing to do with Chatter anymore, we just have to wait & see. Many developers have done this before, its not the first or the last...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    That's a good theory, and your joke about voting for Bush cracked me up. I do wonder, however, if this is the case- then why would they bother fixing Chatter to work with the brand new Centro?
    It is a product that palm released... of course they would provide a fix for it.

    They released version 3.09 of the software recently, and there are quite a few bug fixes in there, in addition to making it work with the Centro. Seems like they should either commit to it fully and continue to release updates (such as one that would work with Gmail imap), or make it freeware.
    Funny... google releases one of the most diabolical releases of imap in the history of imap itself and people say it is a chatter issue? Of course, it is not a gmail issue, chatter only needs to provide a way around the issues with gmail, so it is (technically) a chatter issue. But they had no way of seeing this coming. I’d give it a little time to allow them to release a fix for the issue before condemning them and stating they should release the software for free. Really… free? That will certainly let users know there is no money for developers, so the program is sure to die. Open Source? Pls… another death sentence for this program… plus, it is not his call as it looks be owned by palm.

    I just think everyone should just hold tight for a while. Gmail IMAP was just released five days ago, with the last people getting it in their box maybe three days ago. We are not talking about a year since gmail’s IMAP release or even six months.

    Got to love google though… if this were M$ this thread would be 1000 pages long about how the evil M$ messed up another release… then it would flow on into vista… then on to linux… with sprinkles of Apple’s Leopard for good taste... then flow back to palm's 2080 release of linux for smartphones.... yea, year 2080...

    And I don’t even like chatter… never have... not that it is a bad program, in my testing way back it did not work for me... that was years ago though (but the palm treo did not work that grand either).
    Last edited by theog; 11/02/2007 at 02:56 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Oh, and by the way- I'm not the only one to voice an opinion with this issue.

    Check out this guy's blog. He goes off...http://blog.proud-geek.com/2007/10/3...on-palm-treos/
    Yeah. Right. Great powers of observation. I posted that link in my first response to your question. And he did exactly what he should have. He stopped using it. That's a good option for you as well. Use an intermediate free IMAP if you want.

    I expect that the new OS will have Chatter (or something like it), and not Versamail, as it's email client, but Marc has clearly said that nobody has ever said that. The fact is at this point, nobody knows but insiders. As long as his program keeps working on whatever Treo I have, I'll keep using it. I've not seen anything better.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions