Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by robogobo View Post
    MisterB, do you realize that you're being super-duper unreasonable, and that Chatter is the best there is, at a BARGAIN price? Why don't you go try Agendus Mail and then get back to me. Or Versamail. Hell, Chatter unsupported is better than the other guys who claim to be "developing" their crap.

chill, man.
    No, I'm not. I simply stated that in my opinion, I hoped that the developer would continue to develop the software by coming out with a fix for the Gmail issue, and that if they aren't going to actively develop the program- that it doesn't seem right to charge full price for it. Bargain price? $40 + is on the upper price scale for Palm software. Consider the fact that this is almost half the cost of a new Centro. And, yes- I'm aware that the program is still good, given these issues. That was the first thing I said, in my very first post on this issue.
    It seems like many of us do not quite agree with your thoughts here. I use the application heavily between 6:30A and 10p - it works very well. Mark should not be expected to support every single server out there. I have been running GMail IMAP and frankly have not had any problems that I have not been able to work around. If something does not come through properly, I have the option of forwarding it to another account that has been around much, much longer, during the time that Mark was actively supporting ChatterEMail.

To say the application is not worth the asking price is very, very narrow minded.

Ben
    Ah, the Syphon Filter diaper man. Even with diaper man, that game was a classic. One of my all time faves.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Yeah, there you go. "Take it up with Palm". That'll really get things moving. I can just hear the heavy middle Eastern accent on the line from the entry level Palm representative, as I try to explain this issue to him...
    Don't bother emailing customer support. They are not supposed to handle technical complaints.

There are other places/people to email. I'd offer to email them, but I believe that Marc is already aware of the issue and I am sure Palm is.

My recommendation would be this:

GMail *just* introduced IMAP support and the masses have not completely gotten support enabled yet (my company account got support a week ago and my personal gmail account got support 2 days ago). I would recommend holding tight for a week, or two at the most. If there is no support (or response from Palm) by then, then post here.

I wouldn't doubt that the people responsible have not already heard about the issues.

As for being obligated to lower the price or continually update the software; the developer is not obligated to do so, by any means. I have purchased software before that never was updated. It is their software, they can do what they want and charge what they want for it (within economical constraints). They won't charge something for it if they know that they can't make money.
    Last edited by dkirker; 11/04/2007 at 06:36 PM.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    It is interesting that the emotional energy has carried this thread into three pages. Certainly, discussing whether ChatterEmail should be free or support Gmail IMAP, is nothing more then intellectual banter. None of us has the ability to change either. Only Palm can. Nevertheless, the thread has been entertaining. I do have a question for you ChatterEmail customers though. Is there a way, without a corporate account, to encrypt emails? I have been going with a trial on Agendus Mail and it is a much more complicated product then I need, but the Premiere version does offer encryption. I would prefer to go with ChatterEmail, but have not been able to find anything about encryption. Suggestions?

Stu
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    It is interesting that the emotional energy has carried this thread into three pages. Certainly, discussing whether ChatterEmail should be free or support Gmail IMAP, is nothing more then intellectual banter. None of us has the ability to change either. Only Palm can. Nevertheless, the thread has been entertaining. I do have a question for you ChatterEmail customers though. Is there a way, without a corporate account, to encrypt emails? I have been going with a trial on Agendus Mail and it is a much more complicated product then I need, but the Premiere version does offer encryption. I would prefer to go with ChatterEmail, but have not been able to find anything about encryption. Suggestions?

Stu
    You can encrypt messages stored on the card and you can put all messages on the card by default.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post

Stu
    I agree. It's never popular being the one to point out the emperor has no clothes. This is just typical internet forum BS where folks that hang out here WAY too much, run to the aid of one of their cronies with post counts in the thousands, at the expense of the "new guy".

The software should either be actively developed, or the price should be lowered. Folks can disagree all they want, but I would hope they will spare us the **** kissing defensive talk from here out...
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I've been lurking on this tread with interest. There has been quite alot of complaining about the development direction of Chatter and what is going on with the original developer. At this point in time, does either of these really matter?

Facts:
    - Chatter does run on all mainstream POS phones and supports just about every major mail server out there.
    - When you buy Chatter, you get EVERYTHING that is promised in the technical specs for this software.
    - There are no outstanding, glaring, bugs with Chatter that aren't being fixed.
    - Chatter is still supported and updated as needed. An example is the recent update of Chatter for the Centro.
    - Google IMAP is fairly new. There is no proof that some kind of a Chatter update to support Google IMAP isn't forthcoming.

So, the Chatter people have decided to freeze the feature set and not provide new features at this time. This is up to them to decide this. None of us paying Chatter users were ever promised new features. We are all getting exactly what we paid for.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I've been lurking on this tread with interest. There has been quite alot of complaining about the development direction of Chatter and what is going on with the original developer. At this point in time, does either of these really matter?

Facts:
    - Chatter does run on all mainstream POS phones and supports just about every major mail server out there.
    - When you buy Chatter, you get EVERYTHING that is promised in the technical specs for this software.
    - There are no outstanding, glaring, bugs with Chatter that aren't being fixed.
    - Chatter is still supported and updated as needed. An example is the recent update of Chatter for the Centro.
    - Google IMAP is fairly new. There is no proof that some kind of a Chatter update to support Google IMAP isn't forthcoming.

So, the Chatter people have decided to freeze the feature set and not provide new features at this time. This is up to them to decide this. None of us paying Chatter users were ever promised new features. We are all getting exactly what we paid for.
    Sorry, but your facts are not facts. If you go to the official Chatter download page on the Palm web site, they give every indication that Chatter will work with Gmail/IMAP.

And... the point you seem to be missing, is that the customer cannot count on the developers to fix anything. Yes, they've done some updates- such as the one for the Centro. This was discussed on page one... but, when a developer openly admits to having taken a job elsewhere, and that he may or may not spend any more time on the software (but will continue to charge the same full price as always), it leaves the customer in a bind.
    Man, some people have too much time on their hands. Lay off the poor guy. Never thought people would attack someone over an email program. Get a life!
    Matty
  11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Sorry, but your facts are not facts. If you go to the official Chatter download page on the Palm web site, they give every indication that Chatter will work with Gmail/IMAP.

And... the point you seem to be missing, is that the customer cannot count on the developers to fix anything. Yes, they've done some updates- such as the one for the Centro. This was discussed on page one... but, when a developer openly admits to having taken a job elsewhere, and that he may or may not spend any more time on the software (but will continue to charge the same full price as always), it leaves the customer in a bind.
    No one is forcing you to use this Application MisterB. If you are so disgruntled with it and the developers approach to supporting it, then stop using it. You have other options in the market available to you.

Going off on everyone who responds to you and coming down on the developer isn't going to get your new features any faster nor will it make you many friends.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    No one is forcing you to use this Application MisterB. If you are so disgruntled with it and the developers approach to supporting it, then stop using it. You have other options in the market available to you.

Going off on everyone who responds to you and coming down on the developer isn't going to get your new features any faster nor will it make you many friends.
    Great customer service oriented attitude, pal.

I haven't gone off on "everyone". Just defended myself against attacks by the **** kissers. (insert your name here)
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Would someone please close this thread?!
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Thanks Twitch. Can you tell me how to encrypt messages on the card?
    The Chatter about/download page predates GMail IMAP capabilities. I would expect potential "inconsistencies." As far as the IMAP side of things, it is to my understanding that the IMAP part of things works fine.

Marc works for Palm and Palm purchased Chatteremail. There are no guarantees that Marc has managing duties over Chatter. Chances are the pricing is not up to Marc.

Now, can we please stop beating this dead horse? Give Google a chance to finish rolling out their product (clearly marked "BETA") and give Palm a chance to respond to the issues.
    Last edited by dkirker; 11/07/2007 at 03:45 AM.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Two ways. Menu-Box-Edit Mailbox-Deliver...Make sure Store on SD card and Encrypted are selected. Any new mail for this mailbox will be encrypted and stored on the card. To encrypt any existing mail, you'll have to reload the mailbox. Menu-Box-Mailbox Utilies. This will encrypt this mailbox only. To encrypt every box Menu-Preferences-Security-Always encrypt SD. You should also go to Menu-Preferences-System and select Default to SD Mailbox (This will put any new mailbox you create on the card). Again, if you already have mailboxes set up, you'll have to reload each box for the encryption to take effect. Keep in mind you can only read encrypted mail of the card from the Treo that encrypted it. You won't be able to put your card in another Treo to restore your mail or read it from a card reader.

Mr. Big, sorry I brought something constructive to your pointless thread.
  17. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Great customer service oriented attitude, pal.

I haven't gone off on "everyone". Just defended myself against attacks by the **** kissers. (insert your name here)
    What is it you think are defending with comments like this? Everyone who is responding to you is basically saying the same thing. Go back and read the posts in this thread and honestly ask yourself who is doing the attacking.

Bottom line: Marc and Palm are under no obligation what so ever to provide support for Google IMAP. If they do, then score. If not, then people will still buy Chatter because it is the best email client out there for POS and figure out ways to address shortcomings.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=98

I hope Marc is doing this on his own, and not because of this thread.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  19. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=98

I hope Marc is doing this on his own, and not because of this thread.
    Well, I know one person who will be happy about this news.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    When one of their managers say that Chatter IS THE option if you want idle.

"Palm VersaMail Compatibility with Gmail

There's been some discussion around Palm's VersaMail client being compatible with Google's Gmail. We wanted to clarify that currently Palm Treo and Centro smartphone customers can access their Gmail accounts using the POP email protocol. While VersaMail supports the IMAP protocol, there are some known incompatibilties and limitations with Gmail. For example, VersaMail does not support IMAP-IDLE, which is used by Gmail to deliver continuously updated email. For Gmail users on the Palm OS, there are aftermarket email solutions that support IMAP-IDLE on Treo and Centro like ChatterEmail.

-Jay Baik, Product Manager, Emal"

Source: http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/10/gmail-compatibi.html
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast